Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline thread 09/04/2013 to 19/7/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

I remember years ago hearing that Ben Dunne never paid his creditors when he was in charge of Dunnes Stores.

He deliberately waited until they went out of business or sued him.

Anyone remember more about this? Was a bit before my time.

Once again, he's being reckless and to hell with everyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Once again a terrible waste of a show, 75 mins of Ben dunne spouting his agenda, why didn't the Liveline team get some expert on to explain the aftermath for someone who had declared bankruptcy. What would happen when they return, re mortgages, loans, etc.

All this has done is filled people's mind with a hair brain idea of a get out clause, and not explaining the aftermath.

The banks must hate Duffy, between removing their savings and now planting the seed for bankruptcy, very irresponsible broadcasting.
    The should, at the very least, explained HOW to go about declaring bankruptcy and how much it costs. Dunne made it sound like a walk in the park, which it is not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

I noticed that it was idiots that were shamelessly pandering to Ben Dunne today.

That woman with the shrill voice, how any bank gave a simpleton like her a mortgage is unbelievable. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

PauloMN wrote: »
    I feel that the long term effects of having been declared bankrupt are being glossed over by Ben Dunne. Sure, it rids you of a large debt, but how would you function for the rest of you life financially?

Let's hope so. At least then the banks could lend to responsible businesses, not mickey mouse operations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

PauloMN wrote: »
    I feel that the long term effects of having been declared bankrupt are being glossed over by Ben Dunne. Sure, it rids you of a large debt, but how would you function for the rest of you life financially? I'm sure it would affect everything else you do until you die.

Sure why would Ben think of little details like that ? It's laughable from a man who was given a dig out from the family empire, he didn't have to live with any major consequences of his actions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭chimmy chonga

Who are these bankers? Why can't they be named individually? If they truly believed that what they are doing is acceptable they would have no problem coming out and defending their behaviour. Are they just like the senior civil servants that by their actions can devastate countless lives and still remain anonymous?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Its time to bring back the workhouses.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

That_Guy wrote: »
    Ben Dunne. Someone mentioned him a day or two ago. Whoever it was, I blame you!!
    T'was I.
    I had a tingling notion in my waters.

In fairness, Ben Dunne was only advocating what the upper middle classes have practiced in the past few years. Bankruptcy tourism.
    They moved their centre of interest to the UK for a period of time, became bankrupt, then returned to Ireland and resumed their lives debt-free. I personally know two people who have done this.

I'm not in favour of debt-forgiveness but if enough people did this, it would pressure the government to act in some manner to stem further bank losses. It would also be healthier for the individuals concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Meathlass wrote: »
    This negative equity thing drives me crazy. It's only an issue if you want to sell your house. It doesn't affect your day to day ability to pay your mortague.

My parents bought their house for £39,000 in 1990, it was valued at €420,000 in 2005 and revenue have valued it at €150,000 now. Who cares what it was worth 5, 10, or 20 years ago. It's only worth what someone is willing to pay for it TODAY!

Joe, my Xbox cost €400 when it came out and now it's only worth €20 on eBay. Where's my Nama?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

"If I could get away with it"

That just sums up the attitude of people who won't pay.

As Homer put it "The only antidote to a zany scheme, is an even zanier scheme!"

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Downloaded bankruptcy tourism and the communion grant being axed as I didn't get a chance to listen but hopefully it's a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

snubbleste wrote: »
    In fairness, Ben Dunne was only advocating what the upper middle classes have practiced in the past few years. Bankruptcy tourism.
    They moved their centre of interest to the UK for a period of time, became bankrupt, then returned to Ireland and resumed their lives debt-free. I personally know two people who have done this.

I'm not in favour of debt-forgiveness but if enough people did this, it would pressure the government to act in some manner to stem further bank losses. It would also be healthier for the individuals concerned.

If i was in that position that's exactly what would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Any hope for discussion of the same sex marriage vote? Of is that too controversial for joe?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I was kinda hoping for more Rugby Thuggery tbh......;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Lets go Joe woooo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

RTÉ ad taking a bow and clapping themselves on the back.

Business as usual from Friday.

She cancelled the life cover, but I thought you were still required to have a term policy against the term of the mortgage ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

And straight into misery Monday we go.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Just in, what are we on today? Misery I'm sure, but what angle has Joe taken on it today?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Jaysus, finance 101 - keep up your insurance policy. If she'd kept it up, there'd be no issue now. That's terribly sad.

Cancelling any such policy could also be deemed to be a breach of your mortgage contact.

They should have taken professional financial advice :(

Where's my NAMA?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

"was his death linked to his failing business?"

ffs Joe! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Just in, what are we on today? Misery I'm sure, but what angle has Joe taken on it today?
    First up death by suicide

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

is she gonna do a ben dunne??

And did he have Sky Sports Mary?

She has a car!
    Sell it and get a bicycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

How are pensioners still paying a mortgage? I though Banks did not give out mortgages to people over a certain age?

• Advertisement

The banks owns the house, not you or your children.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement