Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline thread 09/04/2013 to 19/7/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Floppybits

I thought I got a hint of tears there.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    How are pensioners still paying a mortgage? I though Banks did not give out mortgages to people over a certain age?

Especially that amount.... missed the start of the programme, but she said she owes "hundreds of thousands". :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    How are pensioners still paying a mortgage? I though Banks did not give out mortgages to people over a certain age?

Loan Criteria during the boom:

1) Are you breathing? Yes / No

Your Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Hamilcar

Even if they had insurance they dont payout in cases of suicide. Sorry to be blunt but he's a selfish man

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Floppybits wrote: »
    I thought I got a hint of tears there.

More than a hint now. Joe going in for the kill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

These are the kind of houses where one could make a killing...it probably will go lower then it should be but in about 5 years the value should go up big time....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Just tuned in. Did this woman say her husband died but they had cancelled their life insurance???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

Im really not being heartless but it is only bricks and mortar....it was the bricks and mortar that was a burden on her husband, no house is worth that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Hamilcar wrote: »
    Even if they had insurance they dont payout in cases of suicide. Sorry to be blunt but he's a selfish man

Most insurance policies only refuse to pay out on suidcide in the first year and a day of the policy having been taken out. If the policy was older than that then there's no issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Rivers+of+tears,+at+helenstextiles.homestead.com.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Why does one elderly person need such a subtantial house in a prime location (her words)? Could she not trade down and pay off the amount owed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Double post.

Why does one elderly person need such a subtantial house in a prime location (her words)? Could she not trade down and pay off the amount owed?
    It's her 'home'. Did you not hear that part? Homes as opposed to houses are sacred.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Are we supposed to care about these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

100% mortgage for 280K :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Notice how Joe pronounces debt as death! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I hate that phrase "Died by Suicide".

Those who use it are attempting to dress a deliberate act up as something that just happened to occur as a matter of circumstance.

If somebody kills themselves, thats exactly what happens and there is no shame in saying it as it is.

While people often take their own life as a result of other illnesses, both mental and physical, the act itself is a committal of suicide and a conscious decision.

Stop describing it as something people just happened to 'die by' as though they had no say in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Floppybits

withless wrote: »
    Are we supposed to care about these people?

Yep, we are such a heartless bitter little country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

sudzs wrote: »
    Obviously means the same thing for the first caller

sudzs wrote: »

At first I thought he was saying "Debt by Suicide"

• Advertisement

Lapin wrote: »
    I hate that phrase "Died by Suicide".
    Those who use it are attempting to dress a deliberate act up as something that just happened to occur as a matter of circumstance.
    If somebody kills themselves, thats exactly what happens and there is no shame in saying it as it is.
    While people often take their own life as a result of other illnesses, both mental and physical, the act itself is a committal of suicide and a conscious decision.
    Stop describing it as something people just happened to 'die by' as though they had no say in it.

In Gaeilge, it's called to 'put your hand in your own death'
    Very apt

But do you have Sky Sports?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Negative equity doesn't matter a damn if you aren't selling your home!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

They've bought a house are you f**King ****ting me!

And is rent dead money caller?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

So you moved to the UK bought a house and now want to be declared bankrupt in Ireland? Youve done everything a bit backwards mate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

pc7 wrote: »
    Negative equity doesn't matter a damn if you aren't selling your home!

Yes people quoting negative equity figures really annoy me, you could be 1million euro in negative equity but once you can afford your monthly repayments there isn't a problem

What about the amount of people still paying their mortgages and debts because we realise we signed a contract an agreement that didn't have a clause saying 'sure I won't pay now as its in negative equity' Jebus sweet baby Jebus this show is bad for my health!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Floppybits wrote: »
    Yep, we are such a heartless bitter little country.
    Not heartless, there are are a lot of silly people who borrowed more than they should have, loaned to them by even sillier people in banks. Nobody forced anyone to borrow anything. The rest of us are expected to feel sorry for them, and also pick up the tab for their reckless behaviour. You make your bed, you lie in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Hamilcar

At last a break for Peter. They're always robbing the poor f**er to pay Paul

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement