Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline thread 09/04/2013 to 19/7/2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

100% mortgage of 285k?!?!?! :eek:

Irresponsible borrowing and lending :(

This other lady should not be on the line, she is too upset :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Joe: "I understand"
    Of course, you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Down size to a care home

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'm out for a while kids, have fun. Will keep an eye on the thread to see if his majesty changes course for a more lively topic.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

How Joe is allowed away with this type of broadcasting is beyond me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Hamilcar wrote: »
    At last a break for Peter. They're always robbing the poor f**er to pay Paul
    Paul will always be your friend!

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Not heartless, there are are a lot of silly people who borrowed more than they should have, loaned to them by even sillier people in banks. Nobody forced anyone to borrow anything. The rest of us are expected to feel sorry for them, and also pick up the tab for their reckless behaviour. You make your bed, you lie in it.

Especially the silly people who upsized when they really didn't need to and succumed to greed and 'keeping up with the Jones'. I really feel though for people who bought starter homes thinking they could move on when they started their families and are stuck in tiny apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

pc7 wrote: »
    How Joe is allowed away with this type of broadcasting is beyond me.

Thats last bit was pretty disgusting

oooh sexy voice :D ...oh maybe not

• Registered Users Posts: 7,654 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Not heartless, there are are a lot of silly people who borrowed more than they should have, loaned to them by even sillier people in banks. Nobody forced anyone to borrow anything. The rest of us are expected to feel sorry for them, and also pick up the tab for their reckless behaviour. You make your bed, you lie in it.

The problem is though that we bailed out the silly people in the bank with no punishment for them now they banks are coming back to haunt the silly people who borrowed from them.

So why shouldn't these silly people who borrowed from the banks who have been bailed not now think that the same should be applied to them?

• Advertisement

Was it the landlord business caller?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,999 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Floppybits wrote: »
    The problem is though that we bailed out the silly people in the bank with no punishment for them now they banks are coming back to haunt the silly people who borrowed from them.

So why shouldn't these silly people who borrowed from the banks who have been bailed not now think that the same should be applied to them?

They deserve some sort of relief and understanding from the banks sure, but simply complaining that its all unfair that they shouldnt have to pay any of it back is moronic

Floppybits wrote: »

Who do they think is going to foot the bill in the end? You and me?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

At least someone has the sense to challenge the "sure just head up to Newry" crap from Ben Dunne. Not as easy as that.

Eddie Hobbs on line 7

Tisserand wrote: »
    Especially the silly people who upsized when they really didn't need to and succumed to greed and 'keeping up with the Jones'. I really feel though for people who bought starter homes thinking they could move on when they started their families and are stuck in tiny apartments.

You also have the accidental landlords, these are folks that bought an apartment when single but as with life they met someone who also had an apartment but when they went to sell the arse fell out of the market and now they are living in one apartment and get rid of the other because of the amount of negative equity so they have to rent it out.

Who do they think is going to foot the bill in the end? You and me?

Yeah but they have seen us foot the bill for the stupid banks. so they are thinking why one rule for them and another for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

Seriously it doesn't take hindsight to realise a 120% mortgage is not a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

All that fake sighing from Joe is causing me mental stress!

120% mortgage? You would have to insane to take out a mortgage like that because you are in negative equity from day one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Ah Prozac... the answer to everything! :rolleyes:

Oh FFS, he couldn't enjoy the communion, who does?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Hamilcar

Funnily enough, I borrowed a reasonable amount in 2006. No bank forced me to borrow more than I needed. It's not as if anyone was dragged into the branch and forced to sign a huge mortgage! Maybe I'm a monster for saying this.

Is his not more suited to a psychologist's four walls?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Hamilcar

Not only withdrawn but......... overdrawn

120% mortgage? You would have to insane to take out a mortgage like that because you are in negative equity from day one.

Yeah but even sillier are the banks that gave them and a regulator that allowed these products onto the market.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Funnily enough, I borrowed a reasonable amount in 2006. No bank forced me to borrow more than I needed. It's not as if anyone was dragged into the branch and forced to sign a huge mortgage! Maybe I'm a monster for saying this.

Well you wouldnt get past Joe's researchers to get live on air with a sensible comment like that :)

No, not a monster, just a rational inteligent human being.

Maybe my house was too big :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Par for the course back then. I remember reading that in a newspaper back around 2005, I remember exactly where I was and thinking "this is insane". But I also remember neighbours wheeling in new suites of furniture, flat screens, new kitchens into their homes, and going on holidays twice/three times per year. All with borrowed money!!

I know there's a lot of genuine cases of people being in real trouble, but I don't have any sympathy for "negative equity" whingers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement