Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE & the property tax

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

tbh they don't really care about homeowners, they would seize all private property for the state if they had the chance. Is there any evidence that Revenue staff are not sending out letters or processing registrations and payments?

let them try and take it. you see the failure FG/Labour have with the HHC and Property tax debacle (and thats just a rent on our home) you think we would stand idly by if they were going to take it completely.:rolleyes:
    first things first, property tax, we will worry about the rest later.

you and me might be standing shoulder to shoulder fighting the communists from our doors yet DX lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Phoebas wrote: »
    She says she will be paying it. All SF TDs say they are going to pay it.
    They are 'conviction' politicians, but their convictions don't go as far as to risk not getting a tax clearance cert and risk being suspended from the Dail.

They're happy to let the ordinary people face the consequences of non payment, but not themselves.

That's irrelevant tbh.

I can think for myself. Sure if we all went around emulating politicians and TDs actions and behavior the country would be in a deeper mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭bastados

Most of the institutions of this country sit on the right , even Labour...its small wonder the small guy scratches his head in disbelieve when nothings done for the common people...look at the last election in Co Meath , wealthy farmers voted in their droves.

The property tax is shaping up to be another triumph for the right..unless something radical takes place to refocus the importance of fixing the poverty , depression and pure unspoken rage that so many people are living with at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

bgrizzley wrote: »
    let them try and take it. you see the failure FG/Labour have with the HHC and Property tax debacle (and thats just a rent on our home) you think we would stand idly by if they were going to take it completely.:rolleyes:
    first things first, property tax, we will worry about the rest later.

you and me might be standing shoulder to shoulder fighting the communists from our doors yet DX lol

de·ba·cle

1. A sudden, disastrous collapse, downfall, or defeat; a rout.
    2. A total, often ludicrous failure.

Why would you describe the HHC as a debacle when something like €120 million has been collected and over one million people have given their details? Even the NPPR, brought in by Fianna Fail is collecting around €70 million a year on a completely self registration system so private property owners are mostly a law abiding section of the community.

The far left and the self serving politicians from CAHWT will be nowhere to be seen when ordinary people breaking the law on their advice have to face the consequences.

de·ba·cle

Why would you describe the HHC as a debacle when something like €120 million has been collected and over one million people have given their details? Even the NPPR, brought in by Fianna Fail is collecting around €70 million a year on a completely self registration system so private property owners are mostly a law abiding section of the community.

The far left and the self serving politicians from CAHWT will be nowhere to be seen when ordinary people breaking the law on their advice have to face the consequences.

you think that it looks good for the government to ring out threat after threat after threat on the people of ireland? culminating in asking the revenue to collect it giving them unparallelled powers-to raid your bank account?, prevent the sale of your own property? to stop a citizen of ireland running for election if they dont have a E2 tax paid?
    bullying through a tax that nearly 70% of people polled think is unfair? scaring the bejaysus out of the elderly with their intimidation?

and the worst thing is people are still laughing at them!
    Revenue collecting a E2pw tax, while real tax evaders try to keep their Champagne cool in the Caymen Islands sun.

And all for what, so FF and SF can buy votes by recinding the tax next time around. better FG/labour do it now and earn back the respect of the people that voted them in.

So, DX, if you think this has been a success i'd hate to see your definition of failure:eek:

• Advertisement

you think that it looks good for the government to ring out threat after threat after threat on the people of ireland? culminating in asking the revenue to collect it giving them unparallelled powers-to raid your bank account?, prevent the sale of your own property? to stop a citizen of ireland running for election if they dont have a E2 tax paid?
    bullying through a tax that nearly 70% of people polled think is unfair? scaring the bejaysus out of the elderly with their intimidation?

Revenue collecting a E2pw tax, while real tax evaders try to keep their Champagne cool in the Caymen Islands sun.

And all for what, so FF and SF can buy votes by recinding the tax next time around. better FG/labour do it now and earn back the respect of the people that voted them in.

So, DX, if you think this has been a success i'd hate to see your definition of failure:eek:

75% despair of govt.

That's pretty dismal tbh

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/shock-poll-75-per-cent-despair-of-government-29194711.html

SamHall wrote: »

The Sindo is a FF rag, so this poll is pretty meaningless.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

The poll results don't say anything about despair at all - that's just the spin of a sindo subeditor. I can't believe you fell for that!

The same poll shows a net increase in support for government parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Threat, bullying, intimidation, scaring the bejaysus out of the elderly? It's only a normal tax that people including the elderly pay everywhere and its much lower here. The country will soon get used to it. The elderly here will remember when they had to pay it before. There is nothing preventing sale of property. Unless people are breaking the law. The Cayman Island types can't escape it in the long run on their Irish properties.

The powers that Revenue have are not unparalelled. They are even exceeded in the North. And look at google to see regular sales by the authorities of what is called delinquent property in the US.

All TD's sign up to the Standards in Public Office which requires them to be tax compliant, I can't see anything wrong with that.

http://www.sipo.gov.ie/en/

Threat, bullying, intimidation, scaring the bejaysus out of the elderly? It's only a normal tax that people including the elderly pay everywhere

this is not everywhere this is ireland and 70% of the people dont want this tax
    and its much lower here.
    two reasons, A. an introductory offer to suck you in and b. you get sweet fanny adams for your money.
    and i can guarantee you it wont be low in few years time and you will still be getting SFA for it.
    so nip it in the bud now while you still can.
    There is nothing preventing sale of property. Unless people are breaking the law.
    there was nothing to prevent slavery when it was law either. there was a law here against homosexuality a few years ago, you could go to jail for just being gay.
    bad law is bad law anywhere anytime
    The Cayman Island types can't escape it in the long run on their Irish properties.
    the state might get E200 from their holiday bungalow but they must be rubbing their hand in glee at the fact that the Revenue will be tied up for years collecting all those E2's unable to chase those hidden millions
    The powers that Revenue have are not unparalelled. They are even exceeded in the North. And look at google to see regular sales by the authorities of what is called delinquent property in the US.
    you never said a truer word and its same thing that will happen here in a few years time, you wont be able to afford your the tax on your home and the state will sell it out from under you and you will be left with nothing only a mortgage around your neck.
    All TD's sign up to the Standards in Public Office which requires them to be tax compliant, I can't see anything wrong with that.
    that says it all DX. try to remember that TDs arent the only citizens in this country and are not exclusively entitled to run for the dail.
    Us lowly plebs are too, when we can wade past the nepotism/cronyism...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Reading over some posts regarding yesterdays protest-one poster said due to the turnout people are accepting a property tax- two points on that (1) a recent opinion poll found that two thirds surveyed in that poll were against a property tax-since property tax was first suggested a couple of years ago most opinion polls I have seen people are completely against a property tax-(2) the turnout yesterday-I wasnt there myself as Im away at the present moment-rte reported on their website 5000 turned up-I have learned over the years whatever attendence figure rte reports for a protest they always played down the numbers-some people have said before about protesting outside tds homes I see from facebook an anti eviction group protested outside joan burtons home earlier today-hopefully the cahwt will also start protesting outside tds homes at some stage in the near future.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=243058505840565&set=a.243058499173899.1073741831.230497473763335&type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 26,978 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

@Dempo 1 - out of curiosity, did you pay the Household Charge? If so, you should be able to register and pay online.

I'm going to go on the site tommorow & give it a go, I'm told you need a property number & pin so we will see. I forgot to mention in my original post that my situation is all the more bizzare given I paid the house hold charge & registered my septic tank &.yet revenue don't even know my house exists. Bizzare.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Riiiiight... that's how this sort of thing works, yes?

1.If I can't tell you the names of everyone he's scammed then NO ONE has been scammed.

2.Is all debt an illusion?

3.If I told you that I could sell you the secret to never paying you bank debt, using secret freeman knowledge, would that be true?

4.If I went to your house, or businessT.

5.If I told people that they could post a freeman sign on my door, and that that would stop, "licence inspectors, Sheriffs, debt collectors, and other such undesirables" from entering your land, would that be true?

6.Can Ben's sign stop the cops from coming onto your land?

1. Hearsay, Your Honour.
    2. No, silly.
    3. Very doubtful.
    4. No-one would ever see you again.
    5. No.
    6. I would'nt think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

MilanPan!c wrote: »

The last time he did this he pretended to not understand the question for about an hour, then he pretended I claimed I was a psychic, to try and undermine me, and disappeared off the thread.

He's edited his asinine insult out of that last quote.

So, did you give me any reason to think thats what you were.

I don't know what this one is about

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

darkhorse wrote: »
    So, did you give me any reason to think thats what you were.

I don't know what this one is about

Here, I'll play the boldy-texty game too.

NO I DID NOT GIVE YOU ANY REASON.

YOU ALWAYS PRETEND TO BE AN IDIOT, WHEN YOU'RE MOSTLY JUST LYING

Can we do fancy colours next?

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

darkhorse wrote: »
    1. Hearsay, Your Honour.
    2. No, silly.
    3. Very doubtful.
    4. No-one would ever see you again.
    5. No.
    6. I would'nt think so.

1. It's not hearsay, you can see video of the people who've paid into his seminar. So...And you can see him selling his book, so...

2. But you support a politicians who believes and pushes that... how odd.

3. What's doubtful? That you would buy it? I don't know, you're not the honest type, and you always claim to be incredibly confused... perfect mark for this sort of scam I'd think.

4. Nice threat.

5. And yet you support a politician that says just that on his website.

6. And yet you support him. Even though you yourself think he's a liar.

Pretty much sums things up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

de·ba·cle

"It is morally wrong, unjust and unfair to tax a persons home" - Enda Kenny, 1994 :)

wheres your thoughts on this DXhound?

*I know this quote has been flogged to death recently, I think it is relevant to this discussion all the same.. Im sure you'd agree

It's still a tax on a family home, which SF are ideologically opposed to (only in the Republic, though). If they are so opposed to it down here, why not up there? Does that not seem hypocritical to you?

The people in the North get a wide array of services provided with the rates system.
    Yes it may be more expensive compared to ours (in some instances) but the better value to be had its definitely up north.

Our County councils privatised what they could to relinquish any responsibility from providing services, which we must pay for separate to a property tax, bins alone cost anywhere from 250-400 per annum. (One single example)

Let me put it to you this way.

Would you pay sky €40 per month, yet they provided you with no tv channels or services, and when you want to watch tv you had to pay another bill to UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Our County councils privatised what they could to relinquish any responsibility from providing services, which we must pay for separate to a property tax, bins alone cost anywhere from 250-400 per annum. (One single example)

Competition is a good thing, a new private company came along in Dublin and is now doing my bins for 99/annum.

When the council did the bins it wasn't free, you had to pay them.

srsly78 wrote: »
    Competition is a good thing, a new private company came along in Dublin and is now doing my bins for 99/annum.

I'm not in Dublin.

I've a choice of 2 refuse companies.

srsly78 wrote: »
    When the council did the bins it wasn't free, you had to pay them.

Yes, I'm aware of that.
    Now you'll have to pay them many times more (and they still wont emopty your bins......) they'll gladly pay their county managers up to, and above 150k a year though.... (where will the money for that come from?)
    Carlow
    County manager (Tom Barry): €132,511
    5 directors of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    Vet inspector: €94,392
    3 senior engineers: €73,223 to €87,117
    Chief fire officer: €81,232
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,103,986

Cavan
    County manager (Jack Keyes): €132,511
    4 directors of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    5 senior engineers: €73,223 to €87,117
    * What the top 10 earn: €995,696

Clare
    County manager (Tom Coughlan): €142,469
    Chief veterinary inspector: €93,436 to €109,927
    2 senior engineers: €73,223 to €87,117
    Chief fire officer: €73,223 to €87,117
    Senior executive officer: €64,426 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,025,383

Cork City
    City manager (Tim Lucey): €153,260
    Assistant city manager: €90,453 to €106,900
    3 heads of function: €90,453 to €106,900
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,115,360

Cork County
    County manager (Martin Riordan): €162,062
    3 divisional managers: €125,885
    Chief vet officer: €93,436 to €111,177
    10 directors of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    1 county engineer: €81,077 to €98,379
    4 vet inspectors: €60,555 to €94,392
    19 senior professionals (engineer/architect/planner/solicitor/scientist): €73,223 to €87,117
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,185,394

Donegal
    County manager (Seamus Neely): €142,469
    4 senior engineers: €74,223 to €87,117
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,025,437

Dublin City
    City manager (John Tierney): €189,301
    City engineer/director of traffic: €142,469
    Assistant city manager: €132,511
    Head of finance: €132,511
    Personnel officer: €132,511
    Executive manager: €90,453 to €106,900
    Dublin city librarian: €90,453 to €106,900
    Financial accountant: €90,453 to €106,900
    ICT manager: €90,453 to €106,900
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,263,803

Dún Laoighre-Rathdown
    County manager (Owen Keegan): €153,260
    8 directors of services: €106,900
    County law agent: €95,540
    County architect: €95,540
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,104,000

Fingal
    County manager (David O’Connor): €162,062
    6 directors of services: €106,900
    County architect: €95,540
    Law agent: €95,540
    5 senior engineers (five of them on the top point of the scale): €73,223 to €87,117
    3 senior planners: €87,117
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,081,714

Galway city
    City manager (Joe O’Neill, acting): €132,511
    3 directors of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    Head of finance and ICT: €90,453 to €106,900
    Senior planner: €73,223 to €87,117
    2 management accountants: €64,426 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €992,615

Galway county
    County manager (Martina Moloney): €142,469
    5 directors of service: €90,453 to €106,900
    2 veterinary inspectors:€60,555 to €94,392
    Chief fire officer €76,884 to €91,472
    6 senior engineers: €73,223 to €87,117
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,044,342

Kerry
    County manager (Tom Curran): €142,469
    6 directors of services: €106,900 (one not in place; seconded to Limerick Regeneration Agency)
    Law agent: €95,540
    Veterinary inspector: €94,392
    Head of finance: €90,453
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,064,254

Kildare
    County manger (Michael Malone): €153,260
    6 directors of service: €86,408 to €106,900
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,056,011

Kilkenny
    County manager (Joe Crockett): €142,469
    3 directors of service: €90,453 to €106,900
    Head of finance €90,453 to €106,900
    Veterinary officer: €60,555 to €94,392
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,012,989

Laois
    County manager (Peter Carey): €132,511
    2 director of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    Head of finance: €90,453 to €106,900
    Financial management accountant: €64,426 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €888,796

Leitrim
    County manager (Jackie Maguire): €132,511
    4 director of services: €90,453 to €106,900 Head of finance: €90,453 to €106,900
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,022,754

Limerick city
    City manager (Tom Mackey): €142,469
    4 directors of service: €98,677 to €106,900
    3 senior engineers: €81,886 to €87,117
    Senior executive officer: €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,006, 258

Limerick county
    County manager (Gerry Behan, acting): €142,469
    Veterinary officer: €60,555 to €94,393
    5 senior engineers: €73,223 to €87,117
    Regional waste co-ordinator: €73,223 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,052,496

Longford
    County manager (Tim Caffrey): €132,511
    2 directors of services (plus one acting director of services): €90,453 to €106,900
    Senior resident engineer: €80,076
    2 senior engineers: €73,223 to €87,117
    4 senior executive officer: €64,426 to €84,036
    8 senior executive engineers: €62,276 to €78,501
    Veterinary inspector: €60,555 to €94,392
    2 resident engineers: €59,680 to €68,030
    Site technician: €48,147 to €52,363
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,066,529

Louth
    County manager (Conn Murray) €142,469
    11 in senior executive officer/financial management accountant/senior social worker/county librarian/head of IT posts: €64,426 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,025,437

Mayo
    County manager (Peter Hynes): €142,469
    County engineer: €90,453 to €106,900
    Project resident engineer: €88,698
    Vet inspector: €60,555 to €94,392
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,054,076

Meath
    County Manager (Tom Dowling) €153,260
    Head of finance: €90,453 €106,900
    County Vet: €88,898 to €98,945
    Project resident engineer: €88,698
    4 senior engineers: €73,223 to €87,117
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,049,637

Monaghan
    County manager (David Fallon): €132,511
    2 directors of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    Acting director of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    Senior executive officer: €64,426 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €999,890

North Tipp
    County manager (Joe MacGrath): €132,511
    3 directors of service: €90,453 to €106,900
    4 senior engineers: €73,223 to €87,117
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,002,971

Offaly
    County manager (Pat Gallagher): €132,511
    * What the top 10 earn: €995,696

Roscommon
    County manager (Frank Dawson): €132,511
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,002,971

Sligo County
    County manager (Hubert Kearns): €136,509
    3 directors of services: €99,970 to €109,268
    Senior executive officer: €104,885
    Project engineer: €96,167
    2 senior engineers: €86,818 to €92,919
    Veterinary inspector: €91,336
    Chief librarian: €86,573
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,012,872

Sligo Borough
    Acting director of services: €102,787
    Senior executive officer: €81,234
    4 senior executive engineers: €71,824 to €76,118
    Executive engineer and acting senior executive engineers: €64,373
    Executive engineer: €62,374
    3 administrative officers: €59,324 to €61,420
    * What the top 10 earn: €653,182

South Dublin
    County manager (Philomena Poole, acting): €162,062
    8 directors of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    Project engineer (construction): €87,117
    County architect: €78,368 to €95,540
    Law agent: €78,368 to €95,540
    15 in senior engineer/senior architect/senior planner/parks superintendent/solicitor/health and safety adviser posts: €73,223 to €87,117
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,104,379

South Tipp
    County manager (Billy McEvoy): €142,469
    4 veterinary inspectors: €60,555 to €94,393
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,054,541

Waterford City Council
    City manager (Michael Walsh): €132,511
    Senior engineer: €73,223 to €87,117
    Senior architect: €73,223 to €87,117
    City librarian: €64,426 to €84,036
    Head of information systems: €64,426 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €989,534

Waterford County Council
    County manager (Denis McCarthy): €132,511
    County librarian: €68,496
    4 senior executive officer: €64,426 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €973,994

Westmeath
    County manager (Danny McLoughlin) €142,469
    2 directors of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    County librarian: €64,426 to €84,036
    * What the top 10 earn: €990,065

Wexford
    County manager (Eddie Breen): €142,469
    3 directors of services: €102,787 to €106,900
    Head of finance: €94,565
    County veterinary officer: €94,392
    2 senior engineers: €87,117
    Chief fire officer: €84,500
    Senior engineer: €84,500
    * What the top 10 earn: €991,247

Wicklow
    County manager (Eddie Sheehy): €142,469
    6 directors of services: €90,453 to €106,900
    Law agent: €78,368 to €95,540
    * What the top 10 earn: €1,080,701

Bear in mind this doesnt take their pensions into account either.....
    Nice work if you can get it.....

• Advertisement

I'm not in Dublin.

I've a choice of 2 refuse companies.

Yes, I'm aware of that.
    Now you'll have to pay them many times more (and they still wont emopty your bins......) they'll gladly pay their county managers up to, and above 150k a year though.... (where will the money for that come from?)

Bear in mind this doesnt take their pensions into account either.....
    Nice work if you can get it.....

inb4 "its only around 50 million" and "those 300 people would get better salaries in the private sector"

"those 300 people would get better salaries in the private sector"

Well then they should be let go, into the private sector where the tax payer doesnt foot the bill for the enormous salary.

They wont like the business model that most private companies adopt though, that once the business starts struggling or losing money, they woulkd be let go or take a huge pay cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

So it looks like Jim Corr is going to get his day in court.

Let's see how the Freeman defence stands up in front of a judge :pac:

tsk tsk tsk, property deals....

... if he plays his cards right he might get into Stubbs Gazette:pac:

http://www.thejournal.ie/pictures-james-reilly-stubbs-gazette-defaulters-list-516285-Jul2012/

Good auld Jim.

Apparently he was going to run away, but was afraid of being left breathless, so he's decide d that this is the right time to appear in front of the judge.

The judge will probably tell him that he's forgiven. Not forgotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Did you ever post that link you mentioned in the OP?

Apologies, been ill so not on for a few days. Here we are:

http://www.rte.ie/radio/utils/radioplayer/rteradioweb.html#!rii=9%3A20186511%3A83%3A09%2D04%2D2013%3A

And who elected this person to any position? NO ONE. He was third reserve for Joe Higgins in Europe. Speaking of Joe, he's gone very quiet lately.

Speaking of JH...I also note he's gone quiet...which is good. While I am on the 'NO' side, I most certainly would never regard myself as a JH follower. The bloke was caught out...going around ( during the HHC ) advising people not to pay, but claiming money from the state to pay his travel expenses.

Typical of a TD....wants his bread buttered on both sides!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks RTE are being one-sided in payment of this cursed PT? Mary Wilson, bless Her she sounded nice and fresh after her easter break, had a woman on the programme this evening talking as if everyone is paying this tax. Is everyone? I know I'm not, as I haven't got the money for one thing. But am I in the minority here?

Or are RTE trying to satisfy their paymasters by being one-sided with what they broadcast? I have yet to hear a programme where they pit a pro against an anti in a discussion on RTE radio ( which I listen to almost all the time).

PS: I will post a link for that interview mentioned above when they put it up on the net - I think they only put the podcasts up 24 hours after the broadcast.
    Le_Dieux wrote: »

Just listened to it. It was a pretty straightforward fact based interview with a tax specialist, not a political interview, so I don't know why you would expect her to express any view on the pros or cons of the tax itself.

The RTE figure came from the Gardai.
    It was a very small turnout and illustrates an acceptance of the property tax.

I notice that SF TDs are going to pay their property tax bills now and only 7 TDs (Independents) are saying they are going to hold out.

Got news for You PB...I wasn't at the march, but I DO NOT accept the LPT. OK?

• Advertisement

What cinema is showing this fantasy tale?

I started this thread by nailing my colours firmly in the 'NO' camp. I have also read the 26 pages, and tried to look at both sides meaningfully.

HOWEVER, when someone starts their snide smart ass remarks ala the one enclosed, I think it's time to look the other way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement