Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE & the property tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

paddy147 wrote: »
    So if you chose to pay it in the Post office in installments,you will now get hit with extra charges each time you pay it???

Am I hearing and reading this right?????

Yes - As much as 58% extra for weekly payments at Post Office
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/paying-property-tax-weekly-could-cost-you-58-more.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

the sentiment of that is very low, pure and utter profiteering... and no doubt the old excuse of 'we are in business to make money' will be used by An Post to defend their actions

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Ogham wrote: »
    Yes - As much as 58% extra for weekly payments at Post Office
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/paying-property-tax-weekly-could-cost-you-58-more.html
    That would be an idiot tax as only an idiot would choose to pay a €90 bill in 52 weekly installments @ €1 each.

Gives the whingers something to whinge about, so its not all bad I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Phoebas wrote: »
    That would be an idiot tax as only an idiot would choose to pay a €90 bill in 52 weekly installments @ €1 each.

Gives the whingers something to whinge about, so its not all bad I suppose.

You'd be surprised at the amount of people who will probably want to do this - mostly people who will be going to the Post Office to pick up pensions etc every week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,877 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Phoebas wrote: »

That's a saving of €38!!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

What are yous worried about lads?

Sure it's not gonna happen now anyway. Not now that cpa2 is dead in the water.

On a side note, something occurred to me today. The letter that revenue had sent me had my house on the next tier up from their site. I found it interesting that lots of others seemed to have the same problem. .

I especially found that interesting as revenue have stated that there will be no refund to anyone overpaying the tax. Call me suspicious, but how many got the letter in the hope from revenue that they'd blindly pay up without questioning the amount? Lots of non computer savvy people, OAPS etc.

Now that the whole episode is in jeopardy, all the more reason for ordinary people to do absolutely nothing until some certainly regarding the future of the coalition is clear. Early payers may well find they've paid to a tax that's obsolete, and you can't say revenue didn't warn you about the refunds!

In hindsight, revenue and the govt shouldn't have gotten so dam cocky;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

SamHall wrote: »
    What are yous worried about lads?

Sure it's not gonna happen now anyway. Not now that cpa2 is dead in the water.

On a side note, something occurred to me today. The letter that revenue had sent me had my house on the next tier up from their site. I found it interesting that lots of others seemed to have the same problem. .

I especially found that interesting as revenue have stated that there will be no refund to anyone overpaying the tax. Call me suspicious, but how many got the letter in the hope from revenue that they'd blindly pay up without questioning the amount? Lots of non computer savvy people, OAPS etc.

Now that the whole episode is in jeopardy, all the more reason for ordinary people to do absolutely nothing until some certainly regarding the future of the coalition is clear. Early payers may well find they've paid to a tax that's obsolete, and you can't say revenue didn't warn you about the refunds!

In hindsight, revenue and the govt shouldn't have gotten so dam cocky;)

Not to mention the 100 quid we saved last year also Sam, eh?

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Not to mention the 100 quid we saved last year also Sam, eh?

Its funny that. Not a mention of the €100 in the Letter.

Looks like a lot of folk on these threads needlessly wasted €100 on that scam.
    If they feel like losing any more cash, they could pm me for details of the Sam beer fund I've set up.

Its funny that. Not a mention of the €100 in the Letter.

Looks like a lot of folk on these threads needlessly wasted €100 on that scam.
    If they feel like losing any more cash, they could pm me for details of the Sam beer fund I've set up.

Ooh, la la, Sam, You like drinking alone?? tut tut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

You're asking here about what servces family homeowners get in the North for the Sinn Fein family home tax.So their £1000 or so average SF family home tax doesn't actually get them very much.

So, if we are to apply your ethos, should we call the new tax which is being imposed on us, the Fine Gael family home tax?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

View wrote: »

If so, we can move on from the economic fantasy of NI's "better value" local services and discuss why if it is okay for tax-payers in every other OECD economy to pay taxes based on property it is "wrong" for us to do so here.

When did they start paying property tax in Norway?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

darkhorse wrote: »
    When did they start paying property tax in Norway?

You can look that up yourself. Here's a place to start
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taxation_in_Norway#Property_tax

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

So if you chose to pay it in the Post office in installments,you will now get hit with extra charges each time you pay it???

That's not new news, I heard this over 3 weeks ago on Liveline.

Ooh, la la, Sam, You like drinking alone?? tut tut

I never drink alone. Where's the fun in that lol?

This is another alternative
    "Omnivend kiosks will be the cheapest option for weekly installments – but there aren’t that many of them at the moment. You can find one near you here . They say they will charge just 4% of the payment amount – so they will be the cheapest option for anyone wanting to pay weekly (as long as they live in a house worth less than €700k ). A fee of just 7 cent will be applied by Omnivend to a Property Tax payment of €1.73 a week – or €3.50 over a full year."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Am Chile

Last year with the household charge despite multiple threats of court cases along with fines of €2.500 plus fines of €100 per day after conviction for each day for continued non registration despite the threats of such fines- not one owner of a single home was brought to court-the only court case known of is a landlord in mayo-if they were very reluctant to bring court cases forward last year against single homeowners the chances are they will be also be reluctant to bring court cases forward this year too.

Am Chile wrote: »
    Last year with the household charge despite multiple threats of court cases along with fines of €2.500 plus fines of €100 per day after conviction for each day for continued non registration despite the threats of such fines- not one owner of a single home was brought to court-the only court case known of is a landlord in mayo-if they were very reluctant to bring court cases forward last year against single homeowners the chances are they will be also be reluctant to bring court cases forward this year too.

I didn't register for, nor did I pay the household charge.

I've since received my letter from revenue with the total they reckon I 'owe' them.

They have put my home in the higher band in the letter than they have it on their website. The cynical side of me reckons they did it purposely, as I've heard similar tales from many people ( even on this site). Hoping we'd pay up without noticing.

But I was shocked to see absolutely no mention of the household charge and my failure to pay it.

Further proof of idle threats and posturing from a govt way out of its depth.

I didn't register for, nor did I pay the household charge.

I've since received my letter from revenue with the total they reckon I 'owe' them.

They have put my home in the higher band in the letter than they have it on their website. The cynical side of me reckons they did it purposely, as I've heard similar tales from many people ( even on this site). Hoping we'd pay up without noticing.

But I was shocked to see absolutely no mention of the household charge and my failure to pay it.

Further proof of idle threats and posturing from a govt way out of its depth.

I don't trust them one bit Sam. For me, they PURPOSELY bracketed You in a higher band in the hope You would contact them to dispute this, and of course, once You contact them, You are in their fúckíng web:-(((

I don't trust them one bit Sam. For me, they PURPOSELY bracketed You in a higher band in the hope You would contact them to dispute this, and of course, once You contact them, You are in their fúckíng web:-(((

Yes I agree.

What's strange also is that the letter was addressed to me, but the mortgage comes from the OH's acc.

If 290, 000 public servants can stand together and make the govt listen, why wouldn't they listen to 6-800, 000 homeowners that refused the hhc?

Yes I agree.

What's strange also is that the letter was addressed to me, but the mortgage comes from the OH's acc.

If 290, 000 public servants can stand together and make the govt listen, why wouldn't they listen to 6-800, 000 homeowners that refused the hhc?

Why? Because this FG are nothing more than a bunch of thugs who think they can steam-roll over the average joe soap.

They refuse point blank to raise the tax rate for the higher paid, and afaik, they threatened ( I think past tense is correct for now?) to make tax alterations to recoup the money upon the failure of CP2. They also threatened to throw the MIGHT of Revenue on the average joe soap to get the LPT - they can legislate to delve into OUR bank accounts, but can't legislate to reduce govt. pensions ??? WTF are they trying to fool??

Sooner this bunch are gone, the BETTER!!!!! Then what? That's what bothers me more. FF? They started all this ****, SF....Sorry, but not for me. Labour? NEVER AGAIN!

Heavens help us!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Yes I agree.

We are being told not to ignore these letters, or they will proceed to charge you as if it was correct. Perhaps the best thing to do would be return it marked "I do not owe this". If they get a sh*t load of them back like this, they will be no wiser, and have to go through the process again.... just like when trying to deal with them. They can't turn around and say you didn't respond either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Slick50 wrote: »
    We are being told not to ignore these letters, or they will proceed to charge you as if it was correct. Perhaps the best thing to do would be return it marked "I do not owe this". If they get a sh*t load of them back like this, they will be no wiser, and have to go through the process again.... just like when trying to deal with them. They can't turn around and say you didn't respond either.

the thing they are frightened of most is that people will ignore them, it would cause more work than they could ever handle. Do the sums, if they took only one hour to chase every property tax in the country that is 1,900,000 hours, thats 47,000 weeks work (@40 hours). how many work at the Revenue?

thats the reason for all the "Dont ignore or the sky will fall in" propaganda from the media

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Am Chile wrote: »

Specifically which government minister(s) threatened people with court action multiple times? Links to reputable newspapers only please. If I don't get an answer from you, I'll presume you are spouting your usual guff.

And Revenue won't need to take anyone to court - they have the power to deduct the tax from your bank account, pension, social welfare payments, or chase you with a debt collector/solicitor. No need for any court action, saving the taxpayer millions ;-)

Specifically which government minister(s) threatened people with court action multiple times? Links to reputable newspapers only please. If I don't get an answer from you, I'll presume you are spouting your usual guff.

And Revenue won't need to take anyone to court - they have the power to deduct the tax from your bank account, pension, social welfare payments, or chase you with a debt collector/solicitor. No need for any court action, saving the taxpayer millions ;-)

So, it's okay for revenue to enact as You say above, but this dumb assenine govt. CAN'T bring in legislation to deduct govt./PS pensions???

Time for this bunch of 2 faced thugs to be shown the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

bgrizzley wrote: »
    thats the reason for all the "Dont ignore or the sky will fall in" propaganda from the media
    But if they do process some of these, even for propaganda purposes, you can declare that you informed them that they assessed you wrong. Also, they would look pretty stupid if they are brought to court for charging someone in the wrong, even after being told so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oawfn73Va6M

Hopefully, they can heed these words!

We're not gonna sit in silence
    We're not gonna live with fear

So they'll pass legislation to dip into private bank accounts/pensions and social welfare payments, you think that's okay?

As savings need to be made, even your sig explains 'we're in the shìt' I presume then you're okay about the govt possibly introducing legislation to implement a 7% cut across the board with ps wages so?

Fairs fair DNC.

For the record. I do not agree with cutting ps wages. I see first hand the work some of our ps workers do each and every time they go to work.

So they'll pass legislation to dip into private bank accounts/pensions and social welfare payments, you think that's okay?

As savings need to be made, your sig explains 'we're in the shìt' I presume then you're okay about the govt possibly legislation to implement a 7% cut across the board so?

Fairs fair DNC.

Got to say Sam, I am bewildered that 3 ( as I type ) people 'like' DNC's comment above. They MUST be apologists for this government. How anyone can make excuses and defend these 2 faced thugs is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

am chile never mentioned a government minister, so the "usual guff" seems to be emanating from a different source:rolleyes:.

i'd agree with you about the revenue not needing to go the court directly, but attachment orders take time. stealing from peoples bank accounts takes time. dealing with other government departments takes time, writing letters takes time, hijacking wages-all time time time. tick tock tick tock tick tock :pac::pac::pac:;)

• Advertisement

Slick50 wrote: »
    But if they do process some of these, even for propaganda purposes, you can declare that you informed them that they assessed you wrong. Also, they would look pretty stupid if they are brought to court for charging someone in the wrong, even after being told so.
    If you don't agree with their valuation, just use your own, as it says on the form. Simples!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement