Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE & the property tax

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

they should hold back mortgage relief until its paid

I've a better idea. Our government should open Syrian type refugee camps and just put all the distressed mortgage holders in them, and go for mass repossessions. That would fairly solve the mortgage crises.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭daveyeh

smash wrote: »
    Tired of this line being thrown out there. It's a complete bullsh!t tax.

If they taxed after hours bull**** posts like this, we'd be sorted. :pac::pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

darkhorse wrote: »
    I've a better idea. Our government should open Syrian type refugee camps and just put all the distressed mortgage holders in them, and go for mass repossessions. That would fairly solve the mortgage crises.:rolleyes:

It's a better idea than what Ben Gilroy is promoting... sadly.

Phoebas wrote: »
    I presume you can tell them that you aren't the property owner, but refuse to tell them who is.

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

flutered wrote: »
    interestingly enough they cannot leave one with less than €186, so not many on the dole will not be hit.

Is there a source for this info?

• Advertisement

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    You realise the conman Ben supports has written articles with Corr, in the same freeman newspaper which has interviewed Ben?

A vote for Ben is a vote for those sorts of nutters.

OK, I think we all get your point at this stage. Your posts seem to suggest that you would rather the status quo remain as it is in the country, and you don't like Ben Gilroy.

OK, I think we all get your point at this stage. Your posts seem to suggest that you would rather the status quo remain as it is in the country, and you don't like Ben Gilroy.

No.

They're completely unrelated.

Ben Gilroy is a nutcase promoting crazy crap.

That's got nothing to do with "status quo".

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

What's there to be one sided about?

It's a legal tax, pay it. Simples.

Last thing we should do is give air time to the soap dodgers.

Slavery was once legal. Doesn't make it right.

What's there to be one sided about?

It's a legal tax, pay it. Simples.

Last thing we should do is give air time to the soap dodgers.

It was legal to let Savita Halappanavar die. Doesnt mean its right.

It's a better idea than what Ben Gilroy is promoting... sadly.

What idea is that?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Drakares wrote: »

you're comparing slavery to a property tax...

:o

What idea is that?

That all debt to banks "is an illusion".

That freemanism has legitimate legal ideas.

Take your pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    I didn't ask for a lecture on the morals of paying this 'tax'. I asked if I was alone in not paying it...simples!

As I previously said, if the government temporarily abandoned its payment of overseas charity there would be no need for the property tax.

They could reduce some of the RTE salaries and reduce the licence fee while they're at it!

And of course Fine Gael lied about not introducing tax on family properties in order to get the mandate to form a government, then while in government enact the very legislation they promised not to. Naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

It was legal to let Savita Halappanavar die. Doesnt mean its right.
    wut? :eek:

Darkhorse, you seem to want a change in the status quo no matter what takes its place.

Is there any of the DDI policies that you don't agree with?

Is there any of the DDI policies that you don't agree with?

The answer to that would be No.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,033 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I got the letter a couple of days ago. It's my parents' house, and I'm curious as to where they're getting the "property owners'" names from because I don't think my name is on anything...

Also, people seem to be on about it being a 200eish tax, but is that not only for the 6 months, and then goes up to 400e for a full year?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

Ficheall wrote: »
    I got the letter a couple of days ago. It's my parents' house, and I'm curious as to where they're getting the "property owners'" names from because I don't think my name is on anything...

Also, people seem to be on about it being a 200eish tax, but is that not only for the 6 months, and then goes up to 400e for a full year?

Unless you downward adjust Revenue's guesstimate with the true value of your house of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

wut? :eek:

Didn't think this needed an explanation.

Just because something is legal doesn't make it morally right. Taking money off people who are most hit with monetary problems and calling it a "law" doesn't mean it should be accepted.

The same way doctors were within their rights of letting a woman die because it was alright to do so in the eyes of the law. The law isn't always morally correct.

TL;DR: stick your property tax up yer hole.

The answer to that would be No.

That should be raising a red flag - when you agree with absolutely everything that a party espouses (especially when the policies of that party are at the same time self contradictory and crazy).

• Advertisement

Didn't think this needed an explanation.
    I didn't need an understanding - I was just expressing amazement.
    TL;DR: stick your property tax up yer hole.
    You be sure to tell the Revenue where to shove their interest and penalties too. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

daveyeh wrote: »
    So what, its their money bailing the country out.

Is that the story your mammy told you before putting you to bed?

The country wasn't bailed out. That's a fairytale, a misconception.

Money was gave to our government, who in turn gave it to the banks (every last penny)
    Where did the money go after the banks received it? (It wasn't to keep the light's on that's for sure)

The country wasn't bailed out. The banks however were.

SamHall wrote: »
    Is that the story your mammy told you before putting you to bed?

The country wasn't bailed out. That's a fairytale, a misconception.

Money was gave to our government, who in turn gave it to the banks (every last penny)
    Where did the money go after the banks received it? (It wasn't to keep the light's on that's for sure)

The country wasn't bailed out. The banks however were.
    Just wow!

No mention at all of the massive on going deficit.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Just wow!

No mention at all of the massive on going deficit.

I think alot on ah fall into the the large category of irish where 'its easier the blame the government for our problems'. Its ah, you hardly expect rational thought processes... posters giving out about the tax here will probably 'blast em with p1ss' if theres a knock on the door for the cash. or shout that this is akin to not allowing abortion. take their comments for the simple pleasures they are to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

Government destroyed the PS pension fund. People voted for some other shower to do the same. Now everyone wants someone else to pay theif pensions. It won't be me.

Go piss someone else's money against the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

I got the lpt letter a few weeks back,157 euro for the half, 315 euro jan 1st 2014(perfect just after santa arrives)
    06 or 07 got the house valued for insurance.......this was the crazyness of it all.....735,000 euro, i said wtf... its not a big house, just my little self build for us and the kids,addicted gardener so looks nice in the summer alright(not 735k worth!!!!) and still honestly not finished 13 yrs later. cobbler and own the shoes comes to mind. Still owe a few tens of thousands on it, and can JUST manage the mortgage and all the other bills,

i have it insured for 250k, and was going to use that as my guide to value, be 405, i think per year. Higher or lower, i dont know?Will it bite me in the butt going lower lpt in a few years.
    dont get me wrong im on the side that id rather not have another bill( and the many more to come) Things are so tight for so many.
    Also not paid the HHC, stands at 130 euro for me now, 200 in a few weeks, 70 quid will buy a lot of groceries.

The fact that revenue have it yes, there is fear of their powers for me, i'm sure i'm not alone on that.my elderly mother has both paid, honestly i am gonna pay both this month(257 euro or 330euro???) to get it out of the way, quite possibly wont have the price of it in may.

At least the rain has landed to water the veg, so we wont go hungry.....
    sorry i know this is about rte, maybe the wrong thread to post
    thanks in advance for suggestions
    GL

Le_Dieux wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks RTE are being one-sided in payment of this cursed PT? Mary Wilson, bless Her she sounded nice and fresh after her easter break, had a woman on the programme this evening talking as if everyone is paying this tax. Is everyone? I know I'm not, as I haven't got the money for one thing. But am I in the minority here?

Or are RTE trying to satisfy their paymasters by being one-sided with what they broadcast? I have yet to hear a programme where they pit a pro against an anti in a discussion on RTE radio ( which I listen to almost all the time).

PS: I will post a link for that interview mentioned above when they put it up on the net - I think they only put the podcasts up 24 hours after the broadcast.

We KNOW you don't want to pay. You've made your views plain on other household tax/charge topics.

The fact that revenue have it yes, there is fear of their powers for me, i'm sure i'm not alone on that.
    I say this is the same for a lot of people. Whatever slim chance of it being abolished when it was the household charge died when it was handed over to the Revenue.

Still some slow learners about.

• Advertisement

You realise the conman Ben supports has written articles with Corr, in the same freeman newspaper which has interviewed Ben?

Could you show me this newspaper that you refer to? I did search, but I could'nt find anything.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement