Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE & the property tax

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Slick50 wrote: »
    From the journalRevenue have exactly, the same problem as local councils, no data base. As long as enough people hold out, they have a nigh on impossible task. It would be far easier to collect if they just increased PAYE, and/or introduced a third tier of tax for higher earners.
    Revenue have been sending LPT letters to their best guess as to who owns each property.
    If those people don't tell Revenue that they don't own the property then the tax becomes due from that person. So, the database will be compiled fairly easily as people tell Revenue that they don't own property and Revenue move on to their next best guess..... So this is very different from the LPT.

If you think this tax will be defeated by the lack of a comprehensive database you need to have a rethink.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

bgrizzley wrote: »
    maybe if they take me to court, (and thats only a maybe) but thats about it...

On the subject of the courts does anyone remember the mad summons from the landlord in Mayo challenging the HHC in the High Court? Well it has been struck out as anyone with an ounce of wit would have predicted. Not much publicity on this one either. He will get his day in court now when his prosecution goes ahead.

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17318:high-court-strikes-out-household-charge-challenge&catid=23:news&Itemid=46

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

If i may, ill just add the bus timetable to DXs link also, (:)).

http://nohouseholdtax.org/list-of-buses-for-the-rally-on-april13th/

It's strange that the march will be on after the EU Finance Ministers have all gone home . The Dublin Ecofin meeting is on Friday 8 - 6 but on Saturday its 9 to 12.30. Maybe they were'nt allowed to march while the EU ministers were in Dublin Castle?

i dont have either, (and that still wouldnt make me pay:eek:)
    Good for you. Normal Revenue collection methods will apply to you along with the interest and penalties.

I hope you don't ever need a tax clearance cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Phoebas wrote: »

*Overheard in Bertie's local

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

On the subject of the courts does anyone remember the mad summons from the landlord in Mayo challenging the HHC in the High Court? Well it has been struck out as anyone with an ounce of wit would have predicted. Not much publicity on this one either. He will get his day in court now when his prosecution goes ahead.

Was also mentioned here http://www.moneyguideireland.com/hight-court-challenge-to-household-charge-failed.html

Strange that the "major" media didn't report on it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Good for you. Normal Revenue collection methods will apply to you along with the interest and penalties.

they may bill me for it when i file, but outside of what i owe them in the normal course of things, they wont recieve it or any penalties associated with it.

And i wont. :D

inb4 audit(i welcome it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

From the journalRevenue have exactly, the same problem as local councils, no data base. As long as enough people hold out, they have a nigh on impossible task. It would be far easier to collect if they just increased PAYE, and/or introduced a third tier of tax for higher earners.

Exactly.

I got the letter yesterday, addressed to me perfectly, and they even had my middle name spot on.

I opened the letter, laughed at the valuation, and then used the letter to light the stove with after my dinner;)

I'm quite happy to sit it out and play the waiting game (like I did with the HHC, and I've never received a thing about that:D)

Revenue have been sending LPT letters to their best guess as to who owns each property.
    If those people don't tell Revenue that they don't own the property then the tax becomes due from that person. So, the database will be compiled fairly easily as people tell Revenue that they don't own property and Revenue move on to their next best guess..... So this is very different from the LPT.

If you think this tax will be defeated by the lack of a comprehensive database you need to have a rethink.

I remember a few posters on other threads urging people to reguister for the HHC, even if they were not eligoible due to unfinished estates etc.

How many of those estates are now deemed finished/eligible for the tax, even though a bulider has not been on site since 06/07 (nor county council to mantain it either)

I'm sure there must be a lot of people in those estates that feel quite cheated and angry at the govt now.:cool:

SamHall wrote: »
    Exactly.

I got the letter yesterday, addressed to me perfectly, and they even had my middle name spot on.

I opened the letter, laughed at the valuation, and then used the letter to light the stove with after my dinner;)

I'm quite happy to sit it out and play the waiting game (like I did with the HHC, and I've never received a thing about that:D)

Too high or too low?

Exactly.

I remember a few posters on other threads urging people to reguister for the HHC, even if they were not eligoible due to unfinished estates etc.

How many of those estates are now deemed finished/eligible for the tax, even though a bulider has not been on site since 06/07 (nor county council to mantain it either)

I'm sure there must be a lot of people in those estates that feel quite cheated and angry at the govt now.:cool:

If you want to play the waiting game the other side have lot of time too.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2012/10812/b10812d.pdf

123.—Any local property tax, interest referred to in section 149 or
    other monetary penalty amount which is due and unpaid by a liable
    person shall be and remain a charge on the relevant residential property
    to which it relates.

124.—Notwithstanding section 36 of the Statute of Limitations
    1957, the charge referred to in section 123 shall continue to apply
    without a time limit until such time as it is paid in full.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

They have been shooting in the dark, same as the local councils did. This is no easy task, it will be very time consuming and inefficient. This government probably don't have that kind of time.

Aside... DV Power used to address whichever points he liked, and just ignored awkward questions.

They have been shooting in the dark, same as the local councils did. This is no easy task, it will be very time consuming and inefficient. This government probably don't have that kind of time.
    Do you honestly think that this tax is going to be defeated? Or that people who just ignore it will get away with it?
    Aside... DV Power used to address whichever points he liked, and just ignored awkward questions.
    Eh. OK, thanks for that :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭darkhorse

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Here's an article written by the guy that Ben is pushing... you give Ben money, you get this "sovereign citizens" book.

http://i.imgur.com/fxxAg6V.png

Check out the co-author.

In your own words, what is so unbelievable about this article?

darkhorse wrote: »
    Ok Darkhorse, it must have been fun pulling our legs like that, but you've gone too far too soon.
    You should have built up slowly and incrementally, but you couldn't help yourself and dropped the motherland too soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

Do you honestly think that this tax is going to be defeated?
    If enough people hold out, it can be made a big enough issue come the next election, that it will be part of wannabes manifesto's to repeal it.
    Or that people who just ignore it will get away with it?
    Ignoring it is the only way we have to fight it, if it is repealed, yes we will get away with it.

It is a gamble, but the alternative it to stump up and look happy, when the men in power got there by lying to us, and then turning around to sh*t on us.

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

You are what's called a "perfect mark".

Here's an article written by the guy that Ben is pushing... you give Ben money, you get this "sovereign citizens" book.

http://i.imgur.com/fxxAg6V.png

Check out the co-author.

I'm still a bit in the dark. Do ya mean to tell us that Ben is asking people for money, and just who is he asking? I'm really genuinely interested in getting to the bottom of this, and if you have some information, could you share it with us.

I'm still a bit in the dark. Do ya mean to tell us that Ben is asking people for money, and just who is he asking? I'm really genuinely interested in getting to the bottom of this, and if you have some information, could you share it with us.

I assume you've never been to his website then. Informed voter are you?

And btw.

If you don't think this is nuts, then you're pretty much in the minority:

https://peopleforeconomicjustice.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/door-notice.jpg

Note that it's HOSTED on his PEJ site. Note also that's its full of "sovereign citizen" BS and he even calls himself "sovereign".

All of that is crazy. Like mentally ill.

OR

He's part of their scam.

He MIGHT have been seen to just be an idiot, until he went and lied about it on RTE, and then CONTINUED to try and pull his Freeman crap AFTER the RTE interview.

Sure ask the Irish Law Society, who already exposed him, or ask the Phoenix Magazine, which just ran a piece on this last Friday...

He better have a good lawyer, because he's gonna need to sue a lot of people... including the other parties who WILL be hitting him with this the next election they put a candidate in.

Anyone could have had that printed.

Anyone could have had that printed.

What are you claiming now?

• Advertisement

Too high or too low?

Laughed at revenue placing a value on my home (which isn't for sale)

When did revenue become auctioneers/assessors?

The gas thing is, if you want to appeal, you've apparently to pay up first, then your appeal will be heard.

Reminds me in the old "resister even if your house is exempt" line.

Loads of people fooled by the hhc won't get fooled again.

Revenue will be waiting and waiting on me to pay. I can assure you of that one. ;)

If you want to play the waiting game the other side have lot of time too.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2012/10812/b10812d.pdf

123.—Any local property tax, interest referred to in section 149 or
    other monetary penalty amount which is due and unpaid by a liable
    person shall be and remain a charge on the relevant residential property
    to which it relates.

124.—Notwithstanding section 36 of the Statute of Limitations
    1957, the charge referred to in section 123 shall continue to apply
    without a time limit until such time as it is paid in full.

I keep telling you that FF and SF will pledge to abolish the tax in return for votes in the next general election, that could come around as soon as this year the way labour are going.

The labour party almost accept that they're history now....

Gilmore may pull the pin on the coalition in a vain attempt to retain some seats and credibility.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

I keep telling you that FF and SF will pledge to abolish the tax in return for votes in the next general election, that could come around as soon as this year the way labour are going.

Gilmore may pull the pin on the coalition in a vain attempt to retain some seats and credibility.

some people still havent figured out how politics works Sam. if FF had brought in the tax before they got booted, FG would have been promising to get rid of it to get their snouts in the gravy boat...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Phill Ewinn

PUH-leeze do....

Then have him explain why he's giving away this guys book:

Then ask him about his ties to a group that the FBI considers to be terrorists.

http://www.fbi.gov/news/stories/2010/april/sovereigncitizens_041310

And ask him why he pretends to be confused about why people would associate him with freemen, when HE CALLS THEM AND ASKS THEM TO SHOW UP TO HIS MEDIA EVENTS.

Or maybe you don't think Freeman ****e is crazy?

In which case you yerself are a nutter.

Here's what one of the biggest newspapers in the south says about his cult:

http://www.commercialappeal.com/sovereign-nation/

Everyone but you is a nutter? Little paranoid don't you think?

You're on here advocating people should pay this tax knowing full well that its the wrong thing to do. Of course this this will be scrapped in the next election.

And whats next? When will you figure out that theres not enough idiots out there, not enough cash in the country to keep pissing against the wall ?

Everyone but you is a nutter? Little paranoid don't you think?

You're on here advocating people should pay this tax knowing full well that its the wrong thing to do. Of course this this will be scrapped in the next election.

And whats next? When will you figure out that theres not enough idiots out there, not enough cash in the country to keep pissing against the wall ?

So you're siding with the same group that the OKC Bomber belonged too?

Maybe you should ask the leader of the Montana Freeman, who came up with the term Freeman, how it worked out for him, these beliefs.

Oh wait, you can't. He died in federal prison.

Maybe ask the white supremacist that devolved the whole sovereign citizens thing? Oh you can't. He died in prison as well.

But sure.

These guys aren't nutters.

The next time you visit the US, make sure you tell the immigration guy that you think Freeman are A-OK.

Let us know how that works out.

So you keep saying but what if you are wrong? SF have proved themselves to be very enthustiastic tax collectors in the North. What if the next government finds that the markets are not minded to lend to an administration which would ditch a form of taxation which is part of the normal mix internationally. One which provides a guaranteed income stream and is hard to evade. And that is assuming that the Troika will be gone, they certainly wouldn't let it happen.

If you are sure this government will fall by July you could make yourself a few euros down the bookies.

some people still havent figured out how politics works Sam. if FF had brought in the tax before they got booted, FG would have been promising to get rid of it to get their snouts in the gravy boat...

Or dxhound and Co would be on here telling us all how immoral and unjust it was to tax a family home.

Do you believe in Freemanism?

No I don't.

No I don't.

Then don't vote for the freeman party. Simple as....

• Advertisement

Or dxhound and Co would be on here telling us all hope immoral and unjust it was to tax a family home.

Hope springs eternal but I don't think it has any place in that sentence.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement