Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pup being car sick

• 09-04-2013 7:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

My pup is always puking in the car or sh1ting in it even after 10 min journey
    I bring her out about 3-4 hours after she has food and still pukes
    Sometimes food other times dry sick in wich case a lot of water and no food and starting to smell the at no matter how much its cleaned
    The OH isn't a big fan of her as it is and not impressing her either so any ways to stop it
    She's 14 weeks now and I bring her to hunting grounds for training 3-4 times a week

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Take her for short journeys, 5 minutes, each day then up to 10 minutes etc. she's obviously a bad traveller, take the time to build up her tolerance. Do you a seat belt harness on her in the car or in she in a crate or what, it would probably be better to have her staying still in the car if at all possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

Hi,
    Jago has always been sick in the car, so he started to hate travelling.
    My plan has been to get him used to the car, slowly evey day.
    No food before the travel, and bringing some nice treats.
    I had him sit next to me, giving treats or a kong. That kept him enterteined.
    I was going for a 5 minutes travel every day, for two weeks.
    Windows open for fresh air.
    Now he is almost 7 months. He doens't like that much travelling, but he is not sick anymore.

I bought some natural tablets, but never tried to be honest..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ms Tootsie

We had a major problem with car sickness. We just completed our first 2 hour journey to my parents with no incidents ever and celebrated like we just won the lotto.

First off get your dog a decent harness which will keep him secure but still allow them to move for comfort. We got ours in maxizoo.

Start my having her wear the harness in the house giving her treats so she gets used to it.

After a few days take her out to the car and strap her in using her harness. Heap praise on her and give her treats.

After a few days of this, start the engine and repeat the process of praise and treats.

After a few days drive only a few minutes with as little turning as possible. Again praise and treats.

Keep this up for a few more days and then start extending the length of the drive. You can start to cut down on the treats as the drive gets longer as well but keep up the praise.

Each time she gets into the car praise her and make a big deal. When you arrive back to the house / location as soon as you let her out give her a high value treat and praise her.

Start off taking her in the car to the park for walks or to play with her. You need to get her associating the car with good things. She seems stressed with car journeys. The problem with our guy was we only took him in the car for what I am sure he thought were bad things - vet trips, leaving him at the kennels, grooming (!).

At such a young age the puppy may have a touch of motion sickness still. The car harness should held with that but also perhaps put a pillow under her to soften the motion from the car.

Invest in a throw sheet / plastic that will be used for car journeys and easily wiped down.

Work on this and you should see a massive improvement in a month or two.

Also avoid feeding her before car journeys - even after the problem seems to resolve if possible.

Advertisement