Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surf and Party spots across the Emerald Isle

Options
  • 09-04-2013 7:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

So... we headed up to Enniscrone over the weekend, group of 8, first time surfers and hopped into wetsuits and off we went and what an awesome time we had!

We wanna do it again and wanted some idea's of spots that are good for surfing but also good for partying, are there any events across the country that get a good party scene or any spots that just already have one?

With that in mind, we're from Dublin so the closer the better and we're also beginners so beginner friend spots, or places that cater for both (I imagine some events will be pro heavy)

All idea's are welcomed!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

Sea Sessions up in Bundoran would probably be a good bet. Think it's on in July.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

Lahinch is a good spot,plenty of partying and surfing to be had there.
    There's a Nightclub and good bars Kennys is a good bar with live bands etc,and lots of surfers socialize there.
    You can also get some advanced surf lessons there too..

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Try Tramore on a Saturday. Surf in the afternoon and then sample the entertainment options during the night! Tramore is one of those sleepy little towns that goes absolutely mental on Saturday nights :)

Its only 2hrs from Dublin and the beach is very beginner friendly with a few rental places to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 newtodub

Anyone been to this? http://www.surfandseafestival.com/

It's in Tramore, looks kinda fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭tbayers

Very good event, well run and getting bigger every year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

there is a link in my sig for Surf groups and partying , see you soon

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Sportsmad_Mick

Doonbeg is a great spot for surfing- lovely for beginners in White Strand there. Had a great stag weekend went for a sruf there on Saturday morning and had the option of trying Stand Up Paddleboarding which was great craic. then went to oyster festival in Doonbeg that afternoon for pints and oysters and into Kilkee for food, music and the nightclub. Stayed in self catering apartment -think it was the Marine or Marina Hotel there in the centre of town Would highly recommend this area for a wild weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭OldGuysRule

Doonbeg / White Strand / Doughmore IS NOT A SUITABLE BEACH for beginners. The beach is prone to serious rips and currents, it is not supervised and usually very few people around watching.

Sportsmad Mick, please do not send people there if you are not sure of their level of ability in the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Gott

Seconding Sea Sessions - never been there when it's on but I have been told by many who attended it that it's great fun.

Tullan Strand is good for beginners as well, it's less than a mile from the town centre.

Doonbeg / White Strand / Doughmore IS NOT A SUITABLE BEACH for beginners. The beach is prone to serious rips and currents, it is not supervised and usually very few people around watching.

Sportsmad Mick, please do not send people there if you are not sure of their level of ability in the water.

Yeah it looks the dog's nuts,here it is when lahinch is as flat as a lake,imagine it with a 5 foot swell with 17 seconds between each wave. ...
    Absolutely dangerous,guy's fishing even had roads pulled off tripods and dragged out to sea....

• Advertisement

You can see me top right hand corner lol

I said White Strand is for beginners....it is supervised- the people with the Life guard vests, in the life guard hut, with the lifeguard flags....they are lifeguards so yes the beach is supervised when tourists are in the are-ie june weekends, all july & August-you might want to learn your watersafety signs on the beach there Old Guy!

To be honest, I see more danger in lahinch, kids getting surfboards into the head by over zealous beginners, overcrowding on the waves, often had to rescue people going out on a rip and go and warn people to get off the water before the water hits the rocks. I learnt in doughmore and teach my kids there. It is fairly clear where the rips are and obviously dont go there on your own or only with other beginners. I would say that for everywhere for surfing and every watersport though. It is fairly obvious when the sea is crazy there-it is not flat calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I said White Strand is for beginners....it is supervised- the people with the Life guard vests, in the life guard hut, with the lifeguard flags....they are lifeguards so yes the beach is supervised when tourists are in the are-ie june weekends, all july & August-you might want to learn your watersafety signs on the beach there Old Guy!

To be honest, I see more danger in lahinch, kids getting surfboards into the head by over zealous beginners, overcrowding on the waves, often had to rescue people going out on a rip and go and warn people to get off the water before the water hits the rocks. I learnt in doughmore and teach my kids there. It is fairly clear where the rips are and obviously dont go there on your own or only with other beginners. I would say that for everywhere for surfing and every watersport though. It is fairly obvious when the sea is crazy there-it is not flat calm.

People have drowned at Doughmore (accessed across the golf club), your post wasn't clear which beach you are talking about on the OSI map they are all the one.

Doonbeg is a great spot for surfing- lovely for beginners in White Strand there. Had a great stag weekend went for a sruf there on Saturday morning and had the option of trying Stand Up Paddleboarding which was great craic. then went to oyster festival in Doonbeg that afternoon for pints and oysters and into Kilkee for food, music and the nightclub. Stayed in self catering apartment -think it was the Marine or Marina Hotel there in the centre of town Would highly recommend this area for a wild weekend

....lovelyfor beginnes in White Strand- dont know how clear it can be made. People have drowned at most beaches in Ireland. all sports have their risks, you just need to do your homework (ask locals/ attend IWS surfing safety talks in area) before heading out and lose the NANNy state mentality

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

....lovelyfor beginnes in White Strand- dont know how clear it can be made. People have drowned at most beaches in Ireland. all sports have their risks, you just need to do your homework (ask locals/ attend IWS surfing safety talks in area) before heading out and lose the NANNy state mentality

Doughmore is particullary bad please for the sake of those that do do thier homework and come acorss your post stop recomending it as a safe beach for beginners it's anything but.

Space cadet would be suited better than space hopper. you have no clue at all what you are talking about! I have said many times- White Strand is for beginners...you do realise that is a different beach to doughmore? You should know what you are talking about before you start ranting nonsense. Doughmore has numerous signs saying it is dangerous and not safe for bathing. I learned to surf there, as did most of my friends, surf school teach beginners there when there is no surf elsewhere. It is a dangerous beach when it is kicking off there but dont fool yourself that there are perfectly safe beaches to learn to surf, wrapped in bubble wrap...you should prob stick to the couch if thats your thing.

All surf beaches have rips so beginners need to be aware of this before they go to any beach...white strand for example has signs explaining how to get out off rips....

If you dont know what you are talking about, you dont know the area, you dont know surf-then stop pretending you do.

Space cadet would be suited better than space hopper. you have no clue at all what you are talking about! I have said many times- White Strand is for beginners...you do realise that is a different beach to doughmore? You should know what you are talking about before you start ranting nonsense. Doughmore has numerous signs saying it is dangerous and not safe for bathing. I learned to surf there, as did most of my friends, surf school teach beginners there when there is no surf elsewhere. It is a dangerous beach when it is kicking off there but dont fool yourself that there are perfectly safe beaches to learn to surf, wrapped in bubble wrap...you should prob stick to the couch if thats your thing.

All surf beaches have rips so beginners need to be aware of this before they go to any beach...white strand for example has signs explaining how to get out off rips....

If you dont know what you are talking about, you dont know the area, you dont know surf-then stop pretending you do.

Most surfer's I know had their longest hold down or most epic wipe out in Doughmore.

Not for beginners for sure. ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 865 ✭✭✭FlashD

Even on small wave days, those rips in Doughmore move pretty quickly. It's not a safe beach for sure.

I guess it's ok if a beginner has someone more experienced with them on a small wave day but I have seen progressive beginners moving quickly out to sea even then.

The golden rule of paddling parallel to shore disappears out of their head ..... They start battling the rip, then the tiredness and panic sets in.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Space cadet would be suited better than space hopper. you have no clue at all what you are talking about!.....

Keep it civil please.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

Back to topic Sligo and strandhill is ecellent plenty of party spots and beaches for all levels depending on the conditions plus about 2.5 hours from Dublin to the town.

• Advertisement
Advertisement