Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crunch at low speeds

• 09-04-2013 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I have noticed a crunch/ graunch type noise from my '95 GSXR750WS. What I've noticed so far is;

a) the clutch has always seemed 'snatchy' in the 2 months I've owned the bike. Way snatchier than any bike I've owned. Maybe it's normal for this bike or maybe it's a performance clutch or maybe the clutch is on the way out... I really don't know. It very very difficult to pull away from a stop without over-revving or bogging the engine down. I drove my mate's '95 blade and it's like butter compared to the gixxer.

b) The new crunch coincides with the snatching in the chain and it's mainly at low speeds

c) the crunch is much the same as the noise of an overly loose chain. The chain itself is fair. It's old, it's got at least one tight spot but I keep it adjusted as best as possible.

d) I can 'feel' a very slight stutter or very slight kick that coincides with the crunch. Slight enough that if I weren't familiar with the bike I might miss it.

e) I wonder of this could be wheel or cushion drive bearings?

f) At higher speeds, anything over 20mph, you hear and feel nothing out of the ordinary

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Its very hard to eliminate any trans noise when you know you have a tight spot in the chain. You can only run it a bit slack to avoid the tight spot and thats not ideal.
    Have you checked the front sprocket, the previous owner may have changed the gearing for better economy, giving the tall first gear loads of revs to pull away feeling.
    Clutch cable may need a bit of TLC.
    An oil change wouldn't do the clutch friction plates any harm either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Its very hard to eliminate any trans noise when you know you have a tight spot in the chain. You can only run it a bit slack to avoid the tight spot and thats not ideal.

True enough. I have to make an admission at this stage... I checked the chain tonight and it was extremely dry. I think I've been underestimating the mileage and conditions I've put it through. Even on the paddock stand the chain quietened right down:o
    Have you checked the front sprocket, the previous owner may have changed the gearing for better economy, giving the tall first gear loads of revs to pull away feeling.

Fair point. I hadn't thought of that and it would explain a lot. It's really running smooth and well at the moment but a couple of people have told me it should be pulling harder. I'll go counting teeth tomorrow but it all looks like there's a new C&S coming down the line either way...
    Clutch cable may need a bit of TLC.
    An oil change wouldn't do the clutch friction plates any harm either.

Oil is a fortnight old and replaced the clutch cable the day before yesterday.

Thanks man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

freeplay on the clutch cable?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,307 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

You're sitting on your crisps. Take them out of your trouser pocket

Advertisement