Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

No Plan, No Job, Dunno what to do next, But Relax

• 09-04-2013 7:58pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭

I was just wondering, is there anyone out there who after completing their course, and has no clue what they wanna do or what their course can really let them do or in real terms can I apply for any Jobs? After doing a 3 year course level 8, in English,Archaeology, small computing element, I feel just fed up and cant wait to leave college, particulary my course as we have been used as guinea pigs as ours were a new course.
    At the minute when someone asks me what are you doing after you finish it up? Its almost as if ya be signed up to do more study, or have a Job ready for you. In my case I have no Job waiting for me and trying to apply to normal Jobs like job assistant dishwasher (even that needs experience these days). I have the option of doing masters/dip course as my parents would fork out the money, but I dont really want them to do that as I haven't a clue what I wanna be! Guess I have Peter Pan Syndrome. Like are we not allowed to Just relax for a year and get a casual job and enjoy having a life and being young with no worries, is that such a crime? But Instead it feels everyone expects you to go on studying til you get a 'good' job. What are your thoughts about finishing up?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 doglover89

Hey there!

I know just what you mean, a couple of years ago it was 'so what are you applying to do in college?' and now it's 'so, what are you going to do now you're finished college?'.

I think taking a year out and getting a break is no bad thing - my dissertation supervisor actually advised me to do just that, because according to her, one of the best things you can do is get 'real-world' experience, no matter what that experience is, even if it has nothing to do with your degree.

Sorry not sure I'm helping here, just wanted to let you know you're not alone, and we have the rest of our lives! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭cogra10

Yea exactly cos those that have just went from one education institution to another is like we're always in this safe bubble were your busy and something on the go like primary school-secondary school- Third Level.
    Yea exactly rest of our Lives! Least I know Im not alone! Thanks! =)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23 doglover89

We're on exactly the same wavelength here! I don't mean that education isn't important or anyting, but for me at least, there's more to life than books! I think you learn new stuff all the time, not just in college or school or whatever. No problem, glad I'm not alone either! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭cogra10

Yea I think Im going just wait on the dole for 3 months and get a jobbridge thing in something I might do a masters in next year, and that has something related to my course. And Im also volunteering to be an adult literacy tutor with my Local VEC, so won't exactly be doing nothing for the year. If that fails try normal jobhunting for anything!

Advertisement