Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting for international e-commerce site

Options
  • 09-04-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone have a recommendation for a hosting company that would be suited to visitors from both europe and US?

The shared hosting company I have (with server in Ireland) has painful load times for users from the states (>20s)

It's 7s for Irish users which seems slow to me but support from the provider suggested it wasn't bad.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

We cannot discuss specific hosting companies. 20s is a painful load time, and 7s is slower than it should be, but it very well could be reasonable depending on the page weight, nature and number of components. Do a speed test and find out where the bottleneck is.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭shgavman

Thanks Trojan, yeah that's where I had run the test myself

Here's the results.
    http://www.webpagetest.org/result/130409_D0_1BCB/

18 seconds for the first byte (which is worse than the 7 seconds I was gettings today)

It's a reputable hosting company so I'm very surprised.

Possibly a db issue. Make sure Smarty cache is enabled.

More reading for you on this issue - known TTFB delays in Presta.

Thanks again Trojan. I had smarty cache enabled.

I've enabled "High risk HTML compression" and it seems to have improved things - albeit intermittently, sometimes 8s, sometimes 3s. I'm a noob and don't understand why it worked but it did so thanks! I found it at your link.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Look at https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/

Some good suggestions there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,979 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

It's a software issue amen, presta seem to have released a dog. 18 seconds even without caching is horrific.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Don't most e-commerce packages send some bytes before the main page data? That 18s initial response is a very serious issue. To test whether it is just software issue (it may well be) or a wider server issue, create a simple HTML page and do a few speed tests on that page from random speedtest sites. That may help to identify whether it is an overloaded server/network latency or a problem with the e-commerce software. That link that Trojan provided above mentioned that there were some database table indexing issues (a very effective way of killing load times) and a folder issue. A cold listing of a directory with tens of thousands of files on an EXT3 file system can take some time (a minute or more) even with RAID and a fast processor. Other filesystems may be better (ReiserFS or XFS) but the problem seems to be a database/index issue.

Regards...jmcc

jmcc wrote: »
    Don't most e-commerce packages send some bytes before the main page data? That 18s initial response is a very serious issue.
    A lot of CMS, without caching enabled, will wait for several (many) db calls to return before supplying first byte. I reckon that's the issue here (with Presta "releasing a dog" :))

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'll try out your suggestion jmcc with simple HTML page.

I need to assess that my hosting company is sound before I install a webservice (for an app I'm developing) on it.

So, thanks again everyone.

Advertisement