Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem neighbour

Options
  • 09-04-2013 8:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭

So apart from calling me a ****, our neighbour is now physically throwing things at my dog(at him. Not for him to catch.) I don't want to involve the police at this point, we have a mental hospital up the street and are surrounded by associated housing, so he may be an outpatient, so I don't wanna jump the fence and beat the **** out of him just yet, but as an example it's the same neighbour I caught throwing handfuls of gravel on my lawn when I was trying to grow it last year.
    I'm not sure how to proceed. He's very intimidating but also thick as ****.
    Any realistic ideas appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Is the neighbour new? Is the property rented or owned??

I'd get together a diary of evidence. Keep a note of incidents - when, where, time and what happened. I'd also look at setting up a discreet CCTV trained on the front and back of your house.

Once I'd got together a good amount of evidence (say, about a month), I'd then go to the Gards. They won't be able to do anything until you have evidence. so I'd get that together first.

TBH - short of beating the crap out of the neighbour, I don't see how this can be resolved without involving the Gards. I don't think from what you've posted he's the type to listen to reason...

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

Why not contact the hospital up the road and tell them you are having trouble and you are just wondering if its sheltered housing. They usually have contact personnel that call to the houses. Call to the local Gardai station after that and look for advice. To be host beating the hell out of hm is just going to bring the Gardai in your direction for all the wrong reasons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The hospital will not go into specifics, due to Data Protection Laws. So they won't even tell the OP if this person is known to the Mental Health services.

Best bet is the Gards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

This guy lived here before I did. We're here two years and its hard to explain but my garden(which I'm always in) is sort of raised above his? He's not the direct neighbour, he's one over.
    We've given him no reason for all this other than the fact that I'm always in the garden from springtime onward.
    Just to add, he's mad intimidating and a bit unhinged. I don't know what to do within the frame of the law. Getting him battered would be easy but I'd rather stay away from all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Justice of the peas

He sounds very vindictive- throwing gravel on your lawn and abusing your dog. It does sound like the actions of someone with mental health issues or he could just be an a-hole. I'd get on to the guards tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Something is not making sense here. He is throwing things at your dog but he is not your actual neighbour? Is there a house in between yours and his?
    To be fair your posts sound very aggressive too in that your first post you talk about jumping the fence and beating him and the second post you refer to getting him battered.
    The only thing he did was throw gravel on your lawn (seriously?).
    And throw something at your dog. Was your dog out unattended or did he climb into your back garden and throw something. Is your dog a barker that annoys everyone?
    Also it is not clear what you are doing in your garden all the time. Do you work there/operate loud machinery all the time (lawnmower/strimmer etc), play loud music, have friends hanging about?
    If there is something he is doing that is harrassing you then you can file a complaint with the Guards, council (if a council house), PRTB (if rented house) etc etc

We are definitely only seeing one half of this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭repsol

I don't agree with you saying that OP is aggressive. I think he has shown a lot of restraint. I had to deal with a similar asshole who lives near my parents. Every time my sister was dropping the kids off for my mum to mind them, this guy just happened to be walking past and coughed up a load of phlegm and spit it on the ground,near ,but not directly at my sister. This was naturally a disgusting thing for my sister and her kids to experience,and it was all for no reason as nobody in my family knows this guy. I found having a word with him stopped the problem. I didn't have to bother with the Guards nor did I have to actually use any violence. People like that are usually cowards and will stop if challenged. In OP's case ,I doubt the Guards would be bothered as it is doubtful if throwing handfuls of gravel is illegal,even if it is annoying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Something is not making sense here. He is throwing things at your dog but he is not your actual neighbour? Is there a house in between yours and his?
    To be fair your posts sound very aggressive too in that your first post you talk about jumping the fence and beating him and the second post you refer to getting him battered.
    The only thing he did was throw gravel on your lawn (seriously?).
    And throw something at your dog. Was your dog out unattended or did he climb into your back garden and throw something. Is your dog a barker that annoys everyone?
    Also it is not clear what you are doing in your garden all the time. Do you work there/operate loud machinery all the time (lawnmower/strimmer etc), play loud music, have friends hanging about?
    If there is something he is doing that is harrassing you then you can file a complaint with the Guards, council (if a council house), PRTB (if rented house) etc etc

We are definitely only seeing one half of this situation.

Man, If I were doing all of that at once, would he still get to throw stuff at my dog? To try be clearer for you.
    He's the next neighbour over. Not my next door neighbour(who doesn't use their back garden and now I know why) my dog is inside constantly and could not possibly be cause for complaint.

And of the two times ive actually heard my dog bark, one was 20 mins ago. And I came downstairs to find that very neighbour in my downstairs window. Cops en route

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭El Nino09

Trying to get ?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭maryk123

I know the hospital won't give you any of the details but they will take the complaint and pass it on to whoever deals with the person. They would know if they dealt with hm or not. It could be an easier and less aggressive route if you think he may be a client of theirs.

Other than that I think talk to the Gardai for advice at least if something bigger happens you will have already had contact with them and show that you are not taking the aggressive route first

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

david75 wrote: »
    And I came downstairs to find that very neighbour in my downstairs window. Cops en route

Inside the house ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Piriz

wow your last post sounds very freaky OP, this chap sounds like he has some serious problems to be looking in your window at 6.30 in the morning (not that time matters), any update ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Still nothing on breakingnews.ie......... :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,379 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Man, If I were doing all of that at once, would he still get to throw stuff at my dog? To try be clearer for you.
    He's the next neighbour over. Not my next door neighbour(who doesn't use their back garden and now I know why) my dog is inside constantly and could not possibly be cause for complaint.

That is what I am trying to understand. So he lives 2 doors down and throws things across your next door neighbours garden at your dog with your garden at a higher level than his? That doesn't make sense so I am assuming he is climbing into your garden then? Or at least climbing into your next door neighbours garden to throw things at the dog?

Alot of dogs will bark when you are not there and be very quiet when you are.
    I am not doubting that there is an issue here but I don't think we are getting the full story. It is impossible to give you any kind of advice without the full picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 485 ✭✭Play To Kill

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    That is what I am trying to understand. So he lives 2 doors down and throws things across your next door neighbours garden at your dog with your garden at a higher level than his? That doesn't make sense so I am assuming he is climbing into your garden then? Or at least climbing into your next door neighbours garden to throw things at the dog?

Alot of dogs will bark when you are not there and be very quiet when you are.
    I am not doubting that there is an issue here but I don't think we are getting the full story. It is impossible to give you any kind of advice without the full picture.

I don't think any explaination of the situation is needed to be honest when you consider that the neighbour was at the OP's window at 6.30 this morning and the law were on the way round. The neighbour obviously has issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭redappple

Ooooh come on OP give us the juicy details!!!! Was he outside the window at 6.30 looking in? Did the Gaurds call?? What happened????

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I don't want to involve the police at this point
    Why not? Going to wait until he starts attacking you as well?

Advertisement