Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[REQ]eircom Fibre Rollout Map

Options
  • 09-04-2013 8:49pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

A Boards centred mapping crowdsource is mapping all the eircom VDSL cabinets in the country and we noticed that while Kilkenny City should be complete we don't have any cabs marked there yet.

If the mods are amenable I would ask you to see the current map and read the short instructions ( complete with Photo of the objects we are looking for)

The full instructions are here, it is very simple if you have a gmail account.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

Many thanks.

SB

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Is it only Kilkenny City and not the county? What about other cities and counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Hi

A Boards centred mapping crowdsource is mapping all the eircom VDSL cabinets in the country and we noticed that while Kilkenny City should be complete we don't have any cabs marked there yet.

If the mods are amenable I would ask you to see the current map and read the short instructions ( complete with Photo of the objects we are looking for)

The full instructions are here, it is very simple if you have a gmail account.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

Many thanks.

SB

I'll keep an eye out and upload them as I come across them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Sully wrote: »
    Is it only Kilkenny City and not the county? What about other cities and counties?

There are no high speed VDSL cabinets anywhere in Kilkenny but Kilkenny City. Other cities look good or great, Kilkenny has nothing mapped.

Waterford is not great either I'll appeal to them later. :)

Other than Kilkenny City only Thomastown is being considered for VDSL2. Lest anyone fancy protesting to eircom one should remember that eircom promised big standard ADSL1 ( never mind VDSL2) to Oldtown and Coon exchanges in 2007 and 6 years later they still have no broadband. While other exchanges were abandoned by eircom no county has 2 of them except Kilkenny.

So get them to finish what they promised in April 2007 and they might roll out more fast VDSL2 county wide in Kilkenny thereafter. If they don't nobody will. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

Got an email from Vodafone, saying they will be upgrading their service to 10 times faster up to 70M, and to register my interest. I'll wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

spotted the first one on hebron road roundabout near nowlan park... any others around kilkenny or how long will we have to wait?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

lotdpd wrote: »
    spotted the first one on hebron road roundabout near nowlan park... any others around kilkenny or how long will we have to wait?

I have a pile more I've yet to put up. Saw that one too. They are all over the town. On site so will put them up this evening or 2mro

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭lotdpd

Any idea when we can expect them to be live and useable?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

wrong thread :)

lotdpd wrote: »
    Any idea when we can expect them to be live and useable?

20th of May It starts the roll out.

Got in installed yesterday, Vodafone rang me on Tuesday, signed up 1 year contract bill actually decreased by €3 and increased data plan.
    New Modem arrived on Thursday.
    Engineer arrived on Friday morning, they have to install a new phone for all the fiber connections, and that was it all installed.

My connection went from at best 7MB down and .05MB up to 71MB down and 15MB up some difference!

Haven't had much time to use it much but seems pretty stable so far. I am pretty close to two of the fiber cabinets so that probably has a big effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Where abouts in town are you?
    I have a VDSL box in my estate and still not active. I checked my line on the vodafone website
    Dymo wrote: »
    Got in installed yesterday, Vodafone rang me on Tuesday, signed up 1 year contract bill actually decreased by €3 and increased data plan.
    New Modem arrived on Thursday.
    Engineer arrived on Friday morning, they have to install a new phone for all the fiber connections, and that was it all installed.

My connection went from at best 7MB down and .05MB up to 71MB down and 15MB up some difference!

Haven't had much time to use it much but seems pretty stable so far. I am pretty close to two of the fiber cabinets so that probably has a big effect.

Nearest cabinet is at the Lidl roundabout on the Waterford road next would be the one on Bothornatourish road.

2730117166.png

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Thanks,
    There is one on the entrance to my estate in Rose Hill on the Kells road. Hopefully won't have long to wait
    Dymo wrote: »
    Nearest cabinet is at the Lidl roundabout on the Waterford road next would be the one on Bothornatourish road.

2730117166.png

Advertisement