Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike lift suggestions

• 09-04-2013 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi all

I want to get a bike lift to help with small amounts of maintenance on my Honda Varadero because of a bad back.

Looking for suggestions based on your experiences.

I can't afford one of the big shop style drive on hydraulic ones. Just one of the regular hand lever style ones.

G

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

For small jobs on your VD I wouldn't bother with a lift, your more likely to hurt your back getting the bike onto the lift than you are doing any service work.
    Buy a garage creeper and take the wheels off, you can kneel on it when doing oil servicing and pads. A garage stool is handy for chain servicing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'll disagree here and say if you can, and have the space in your garage, it's a great idea.

I sold off an F650 years ago and used the money to buy a really good hydraulic lift. Should have done it years earlier. My knees are kaputt and tbh it makes even small jobs not only easy, but more enjoyable as well.

I bought a 2nd one last year - a simpler hand pumped one from Machine Mart for €120 - lifts both my Harley and Vespa with aplomb.

Look at it this way, if you get sick of it you'll sell it in a heartbeat. Very few come up secondhand - and for good reason.

+1 on the garage stool - the ones with casters and tool tray. Best €15 you could spend. Handy for the car, too.

Pics available if you want them.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Would you mind posting up some pics galwaytt. Nerve damage to my knees since my crash makes kneeling to work on the bike absolute agony so I'd definitely be interested in a lift, would just like to see the set up of it etc. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Is this the one you got from Machinemart, GalwayTT?
    I looked but couldn't find one like it there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

CJhaughey wrote: »

I used to have that same one when I lived in Germany, very robust and reliable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭misses with rifles

i got one off amazon uk dont know how to link their small but very handy
    on castors so easy to manouver and raise the bike up enough to make it comfortable to work on their called a liftmaster
    have it two years with 1200 bandit and a fireblade lifted and no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

I had one of these but the reason I got rid of it was my bad back. I needed help to get a bike on the lift or else risk an embarrassing and expensive topple.
    When you roll the bike onto the lift, its a large top heavy object untill its secured. Worth bearing in mind if you have lower back injuries.

Image0269_zpsaf5a836e.jpg
    fone050_zps444e3487.jpg

CJhaughey wrote: »

That's the one. http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/020112004

Also, here: http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/2018681

If you're really dedicated, and have the time and nous to do it, I actually have a set of plans that I bought years ago, to make one. It utilises a std bottle jack iirc.............

The one thing I'd say about all the lifts is yes, you have to pump the integral ones. The cheaper lifts have the pumping pedal/lever integral with the bench, and they're ok, but do take some effort.

The better ones including my own, have the pump separate from the lift, and there are a number of pumps you can use - even electric.

Ancient pic, but here's mine:

ML5H-001.jpg

ML5H-002.jpg

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

You can get the jack lift cheaper here. I've just bought one myself and am waiting on DHL to pull their fingers out and deliver it.

http://shop.wiltec.info/product_info.php/info/p10386_Motorcycle-ATV-Quad-Jack-Lift---Lift-Jack-Stand-Hydraulic-Lift-Load-680-kg.html

Only problem was I bought it off eBay before I found the website, and for some reason they have it for ~€15 more on their eBay page than they do on their website

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Garvan

Hi

Thanks for that. I have a garage seat already. Do u have to strap the bike on to the smaller lifts?

Thanks

G

galwaytt wrote: »
    I'll disagree here and say if you can, and have the space in your garage, it's a great idea.

I sold off an F650 years ago and used the money to buy a really good hydraulic lift. Should have done it years earlier. My knees are kaputt and tbh it makes even small jobs not only easy, but more enjoyable as well.

I bought a 2nd one last year - a simpler hand pumped one from Machine Mart for €120 - lifts both my Harley and Vespa with aplomb.

Look at it this way, if you get sick of it you'll sell it in a heartbeat. Very few come up secondhand - and for good reason.

+1 on the garage stool - the ones with casters and tool tray. Best €15 you could spend. Handy for the car, too.

Pics available if you want them.

• Advertisement

Hi

That's great. I'll be ordering one of those

Thanks

G

Soundman wrote: »
    You can get the jack lift cheaper here. I've just bought one myself and am waiting on DHL to pull their fingers out and deliver it.

http://shop.wiltec.info/product_info.php/info/p10386_Motorcycle-ATV-Quad-Jack-Lift---Lift-Jack-Stand-Hydraulic-Lift-Load-680-kg.html

Only problem was I bought it off eBay before I found the website, and for some reason they have it for ~€15 more on their eBay page than they do on their website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Soundman wrote: »

What was the delivery cost of it man?
    Looks good, would be handy to stick the bike on for even just giving it a good clean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭philgunn

Also available in cork for €109 for 1500lb / 680Kg with 12 Months Warranty and spares in Ireland

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4282078

philgunn wrote: »
    Also available in cork for €109 for 1500lb / 680Kg with 12 Months Warranty and spares in Ireland

http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/motorbikes/4282078

Sure whats the shipping price on the ones you sell in cork?

The German shop above sell it for 70 and the shipping is only 15 euro.

goodlad wrote: »
    Sure whats the shipping price on the ones you sell in cork?

The German shop above sell it for 70 and the shipping is only 15 euro.

And the German one is cool in black....

G

Anyone used this lift or a very similar one to it btw?

A mate is telling me its handy for cruisers but he doesnt think my sv will balance right on it.

Hmmmm, sure with the fairings on the sv i don't think i could even lift the bike on this without removing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Think I'll be getting one from the German shop for my Rocket III

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

Anyone used this lift or a very similar one to it btw?

A mate is telling me its handy for cruisers but he doesnt think my sv will balance right on it.

Hmmmm, sure with the fairings on the sv i don't think i could even lift the bike on this without removing them.

and even then due to the frame of an sv (and most sportsbikes), you'd prob be lifting against the engine, or downpipes... not really designed for them unfort...! (imo)

if they can ship 35 Kg from Germany fair play to them ,
    and if it goes wrong ? will they ship it back

I will be at the VJMC Show in Dublin in 2 weeks time , with large lifts and moving skates

pg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

philgunn wrote: »
    if they can ship 35 Kg from Germany fair play to them ,
    and if it goes wrong ? will they ship it back

I will be at the VJMC Show in Dublin in 2 weeks time , with large lifts and moving skates

pg
    Whats up with your website, DBmoto.ie doesn't even show up?

• Advertisement

KTRIC wrote: »
    Think I'll be getting one from the German shop for my Rocket III

...in fairness, 99% of those lifts are the same, and 99% are made in China. You couldn't buy the steel to make it Europe for that price, tbh.

The same lift is re-branded for a bunch of resellers - but all coming out of the same factory.

Ode To The Motorist

yes sorry dbmoto.ie is down since my recent health issues , might be back up in a few weeks , and Galwaytt is Correct the lifts come form a very few Factory's in China and Badged what ever way you want , I got a few large lifts painted blue and badged as Draper ! a while ago

pg

Garvan wrote: »
    Hi

That's great. I'll be ordering one of those

Thanks

G

Cool, hope it works out. It comes with a restraining strap as well to keep the bike in place.
    What was the delivery cost of it man?
    Looks good, would be handy to stick the bike on for even just giving it a good clean.

As I said, I got it on eBay and it came to €92 with free DHL shipping. They have it on the wiltec website for €70 and I think it was about €7.50 shipping with DHL.

Received it today, though I haven't opened it yet as I'm only in the door with it. I'll come back to you on that. DHL deliver it to Ireland, and after that An Post take it over. Feckin thing weighs an absolute ton!

Advertisement