Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compatibility between sky broadband & Vodafone sure signal (femtocell)

Options
  • 09-04-2013 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hey guys.
    In my place of work, I use a Vodafone sure signal. It's a femtocell device that plugs into a broadband supply and boosts the Vodafone network signal in the area. I currently use this with an Eircom landline and it only works to some degree due to my very slow broadband speeds. (Approx 2 meg on a good day)
    I use the same unit at home with UPC 100 meg and its great.
    I tried satellite broadband (tooway) in work before but it wasn't compatible with the femtocell. The speed of this broadband was quite high but ping speeds were quite slow. There were delays in connecting to pages but downloading large files was relatively quick.
    I am deducing that in order for femtocells to work the broadband needs to be relatively quick (ping) and fast (download speeds).
    I've read that this issue can be overcome by "opening ports" and "pppoa" settings.
    I'm not that up to speed with these concepts. (I'm only moderately technical)

Reading threads on other people's experiences, sky and Vodafone seems to 'pass the buck' to and fro. Both saying that the other is responsible for support with the issue.

So to my question; has anybody got experience with using a Vodafone sure signal with sky broadband?
    Does it work?
    Can it work?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭PlanIT Computing

afishyfish wrote: »
    Hey guys.
    In my place of work, I use a Vodafone sure signal. It's a femtocell device that plugs into a broadband supply and boosts the Vodafone network signal in the area. I currently use this with an Eircom landline and it only works to some degree due to my very slow broadband speeds. (Approx 2 meg on a good day)
    I use the same unit at home with UPC 100 meg and its great.
    I tried satellite broadband (tooway) in work before but it wasn't compatible with the femtocell. The speed of this broadband was quite high but ping speeds were quite slow. There were delays in connecting to pages but downloading large files was relatively quick.
    I am deducing that in order for femtocells to work the broadband needs to be relatively quick (ping) and fast (download speeds).
    I've read that this issue can be overcome by "opening ports" and "pppoa" settings.
    I'm not that up to speed with these concepts. (I'm only moderately technical)

Reading threads on other people's experiences, sky and Vodafone seems to 'pass the buck' to and fro. Both saying that the other is responsible for support with the issue.

So to my question; has anybody got experience with using a Vodafone sure signal with sky broadband?
    Does it work?
    Can it work?

Thanks in advance.

I would check with Vodafone on what the minimum requirements are.

Satellite Broadband has very high latency ( ~900ms ) - much higher than that of the older "dial-up" modems. ( 130 - 250 ms )

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭afishyfish

I called sky. They're not doing satellite broadband. They're just using eircoms lines and providing the same product under a different name. Just like Vodafone operate. A little deceptive I thought.

Advertisement