Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not sure what to think.

Options
  • 09-04-2013 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭

I was looking at a 243. In the shop the price was 800 and I was told that it was been sold for someone not for the shop. That's ok that happens all the time. So I then asked was there movement on the price. No but if I wanted that gun I had to pay in full because the guy was leaving the country.

So I asked what happened if I didn't get the license would I get my money back. I was told no then the shop would have to sell the gun for me. This doesn't sound right to me and it kinda turned me off. I even offer to pay for the gun in full up front there and then for a deal that if I didn't get license I'd get a refund and ill bring my refusal letter for proof I'm not messing around. Obviously I don't want to be refused in the first place but I need protection aswell.

Now can he actually sell that gun to me even if I don't get a license. I know I'm not allowed take it out of the shop with out a license. Or is that why there is a deposit paid basically to book the gun for me and if I don't get it there is a restocking charge or something like that.

Or am I thinking to much.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

That there could be no movement on the price because the seller is leaving the country doesn't ring true to me, because I just left a country and I had to be flexible on prices of things. I took a low offer on a table and gave the fridge away for free.

I am sure that 243 is not the only 243 in the country. If a seller is being unwilling to move on a price then shop around.

I'm not sure I understand the rest of your question.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Now can he actually sell that gun to me even if I don't get a license.
    Yes.

You can buy 100 guns if you have the money it's the license that entitles you to carry, use, possess it that is the slow part, and at times the problem.

As for the buying process. I've seen the same, but never that extreme. IOW the dealer would sell the gun for someone else, but a deposit is paid, the license applied for, and the shop passes over the money to the owner when the license goes through. That way the shop is not on the line for the cost of the gun should you be refused.

The fact that this dealer is asking for money up front is silly. If he puts that deal to others they will simply walk away. I've never handed over the full price of a gun until i have a license. Even the deposit is small, and refundable based on whether the license is granted or not.

It seems to me one of two things are happening and/or will happen. Someone will bite, get refused, and there will be a holy fight about the money even though they were warned up front. The dealer is selling for a friend.

If the dealer wanted to be clever he could bid the lad that owns the gun in the balls, pay him a lower amount then sell the gun through the shop as a ship gun for the asking price, and allow the process to take it's natural time.

Either way, walk away from it. That's too much of a commitment to make. Especially if the license is refused.

Look around lad. Plenty of rifle out there. What ya looking for? Anything in particular?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

That's what I was thinking alright it occurred he was a friend of the dealers. Not looking at anything in particular I looked at the ruger American and today I came across a tikka t3 at the right price with a few bits on it. Thought it was a better deal.

To be honest I've no intention of not getting the license but god only knows what ideas the FO has. That's what I said to the dealer but I wasn't prepared to but a rifle with out a money back guarantee. For one reason I'm selling the 22 I have now which I love and I'm using it to help fund the move up so obviously I don't want to be stuck with no 22 and a 243 that I can't sell for a while.

syklops wrote: »
    That there could be no movement on the price because the seller is leaving the country doesn't ring true to me, because I just left a country and I had to be flexible on prices of things. I took a low offer on a table and gave the fridge away for free.

I am sure that 243 is not the only 243 in the country. If a seller is being unwilling to move on a price then shop around.

I'm not sure I understand the rest of your question.

The fact that there is no movement on the price is ok with me. Cause its then up to me to decide if its worth it to me to buy.

But to ask for it to be paid in front up full irregardless if I even get granted my license or not. To me isn't fair and it rang a couple of bells. I was also thinking if he was actually leaving the country he should be mad to sell it and be as accommodating as he can. Once he knows I'm genuine and not kicking tires

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

With the way things are these days it's a buyer's market. On that note walk away, and don't give it another thought.

I met a dealer some 2 years ago. Had a rifle, and was looking silly money for it (even during the good times it would have been silly). Tried bullsh*ting me with talk of "it won't be there tomorrow", etc.

Happened to be passing him the other day so dropped in. Same rifle, still there, at €1,000 less, and still too dear.

Point being even if it is what you want you need to walk away if it doesn't suit price wise. I guarantee you will find the same or better very shortly after. Plus never underestimate the power of a wanted advert. Many time people have stuff that is not fir sale. Until they realise that someone wants one, and they could live without their gun.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Your dead right. That's what I was thinking alright. I just wasn't sure if I was missing something.

Thanks lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

syklops wrote: »
    That there could be no movement on the price because the seller is leaving the country doesn't ring true to me,

+1 - especially in this economy, everything is negotiable.

Can you buy it from him and move it to another dealer?

FISMA wrote: »
    +1 - especially in this economy, everything is negotiable.

Can you buy it from him and move it to another dealer?

Couldn't see it been a problem. But what would be the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭6.5 tikka

I was looking at a 243. In the shop the price was 800 and I was told that it was been sold for someone not for the shop. That's ok that happens all the time. So I then asked was there movement on the price. No but if I wanted that gun I had to pay in full because the guy was leaving the country.

So I asked what happened if I didn't get the license would I get my money back. I was told no then the shop would have to sell the gun for me. This doesn't sound right to me and it kinda turned me off. I even offer to pay for the gun in full up front there and then for a deal that if I didn't get license I'd get a refund and ill bring my refusal letter for proof I'm not messing around. Obviously I don't want to be refused in the first place but I need protection aswell.

Now can he actually sell that gun to me even if I don't get a license. I know I'm not allowed take it out of the shop with out a license. Or is that why there is a deposit paid basically to book the gun for me and if I don't get it there is a restocking charge or something like that.

Or am I thinking to much.

i wouldnt deal with the guy , theres a new shop in mullingar and he has a large stock of guns and his bro has a gunshop somewhere in longford des/dave mulvhill think thats there surname there ment to be sound a friend of mine has dealt wit them in the pass, never give the asking price , sure who`s buying guns the way the country is a the min

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

6.5 tikka wrote: »
    sure who`s buying guns the way the country is a the min

You had me fooled...... you looked pretty sure on buying that gun the other day :cool::P:D

• Advertisement

You had me fooled...... you looked pretty sure on buying that gun the other day :cool::P:D

haha i do want the gun ill be up on friday ,
    to agree on a price how much was it again oh yeah a grand :D

sure look at my profile name?

Advertisement