Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine wi max

• 09-04-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi I am thinking of changing to wi max and was wondering if there any good . I am currently on Digiweb metro and found them brilliant . Unfortunately the are pulling there metro service out of Mullingar so I need to find a new provider. What I want to know is ...Is there broadband good enough for online gaming or will the ping be to high and is it good enough for streaming movies also is it consistant or is the service down alot ... Ive seen posts with pros and cons of of imagine but all the posts seem to be over a year old . I just want to know how good there service is now.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Ping wont be as low as Metro, no.

The most likely way for you to get a low ping suitable for gaming is when VDSL launches late next month or if UPC have cable where you are.

If out the country from Mullingar, weeeelllllll. See the map linked below first. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Dunc32 wrote: »
    Hi I am thinking of changing to wi max and was wondering if there any good . I am currently on Digiweb metro and found them brilliant . Unfortunately the are pulling there metro service out of Mullingar so I need to find a new provider. What I want to know is ...Is there broadband good enough for online gaming or will the ping be to high and is it good enough for streaming movies also is it consistant or is the service down alot ... Ive seen posts with pros and cons of of imagine but all the posts seem to be over a year old . I just want to know how good there service is now.
    Thanks in advance

I have Wimax for over 2 years and I have had no problems. Xbox live works a treat and streaming movies works fine to. I live in Dublin so not sure how good service will be down were you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Dunc32 wrote: »
    Thanks in advance

Hi Dunc32

Have you checked with Imagine to confirm availability? As Sponge Bob says if UPC or VDSL is in (or coming to) your area then either are a better option, as Imagines pricing after 12 months would be dearer than Digiweb's Metro Express 30MB package (sadly this will soon be no longer available to you) and their max speed is only up to 10MB currently.

Regarding Digiweb I am very surprised that they are withdrawing the Metro service especially when the claim to be expanding it. Did they give any explanation as to why they are withdrawing the service. It would be very interesting to see what they said if they had.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Dunc32

cunnijo wrote: »
    Hi Dunc32

Have you checked with Imagine to confirm availability? As Sponge Bob says if UPC or VDSL is in (or coming to) your area then either are a better option, as Imagines pricing after 12 months would be dearer than Digiweb's Metro Express 30MB package (sadly this will soon be no longer available to you) and their max speed is only up to 10MB currently.

Regarding Digiweb I am very surprised that they are withdrawing the Metro service especially when the claim to be expanding it. Did they give any explanation as to why they are withdrawing the service. It would be very interesting to see what they said if they had.
    Hi Cunnjo
    Yes I have checked availibilty (online) and I can get it Unfortunately I cant get UPC because the dickhead builder that built our estate fell out with UPC and didnt put in any ducts for them . As regards Digiweb each rep I spoke to had a different excuse for pulling out but I think its due to lack of customers. Its a pity because I only live 500 meters from there transmittor had a brilliant signal. If they put a sales rep in the area they would have boosted there sales but they didnt bother .

Advertisement