Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pro standard A/D/A and pre's for a reasonable price

• 09-04-2013 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Just wondering about opinions on a pro option for 16 channel A/D/A conversion using pro-tools 9 and a Mac, and also the options for the 16 preamps.

I've read some people talking about using a console that gives you all your pre's and EQ's etc, and just getting good ADA, but is there a console that would offer great pro sounding pre's for a reasonable price? ADA wise, I've heard the Lynx stuff is great.

Another setup I've seen recommended is an Apogee Ensemble with and ISA 828.

I'd like this to be an open discussion. yes I know its better to get listening to the gear etc, but in reality, I wont be able to, so would like to see all the opinions out there. :)

before my studio gear was robbed, I was using the Liquid Saffire pro 56 with an octopre Mk 1. If I get the insurance sorted, I'm thinking of using it as an opportunity to move forward with the studio setup. I had already made my biggest purchase of a Neumann U87, as I had always loved my voice through them in the studio's I'd recorded in.

Genres it will be used on: Organic acoustic styles, rock, funk, soul, pop.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

Lynx, Mytek, Benchmark, Lavry are all great converters. Very Very clean.

The wordclock is an issue also, it's not to be overlooked. The Apogee Big Ben is highly recommended, or you could splash out on an "Antelope" if it is more pop side of genre's listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Revolver Ireland

peter05 wrote: »
    Lynx, Mytek, Benchmark, Lavry are all great converters. Very Very clean.

The wordclock is an issue also, it's not to be overlooked. The Apogee Big Ben is highly recommended, or you could splash out on an "Antelope" if it is more pop side of genre's listed.

From my rather limited research, the A-D convertors ability to sync to an external clock source is more important, and has more effect on things. Using a master wordclock wont improve things if the A-D device doesn't slave so well. Also, If for example I used a Lynx Aurora 16, there should be no need for a wordclock master correct? I'd just be hooking my pre's into 1 digital device and using its internal clock. Or am I missing something?

Yip! The lynx has a great clock. It's really subjective when using an external clock. A bit more distortion on the jitter can be pleasing to some.

Have you decided to purchase the lynx?

peter05 wrote: »
    Yip! The lynx has a great clock. It's really subjective when using an external clock. A bit more distortion on the jitter can be pleasing to some.

Have you decided to purchase the lynx?

No, haven't decided yet. Waiting for insurance payout first, and going to take it from there. At the moment, I'm just looking to research the options. Actually, heres a way of putting it. If YOU had a budget of lets say 3000 to get 16 channels of pres and A/D, what would you do?
    Also if you had a budget of 4000 - 5000 what would you do?

I'd try and hunt down 2 Prism Orpheus. If they could be found at 2.5k each might be a struggle at 5k limit.

I don't think you have many options for a highend 16 channel in your price range apart from the lynx.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭fitz

The Antelope Audio Orion 32 looks like a good shout...
    http://www.adverts.ie/recording-equipment/antelope-audio-orion-32/2581107

An Audient ASP008 will give you serious bang for your buck. Two of those plus the Antelope would leave you with about €600, enough to get a nice single channel unit, or if you can shell out an extra €500, you could get an ASP008 and two SSL XLogic Alpha's, giving you 8 channels of SSL VHD pre-amps to go along with the Audient.

Also, UA are bringing out a new version of the Apollo, which is 16 x 16.
    With the in-built UAD processor, and the option to getting a Thunderbolt card makes it seem very appealing.

Plenty of options!

fitz wrote: »
    The Antelope Audio Orion 32 looks like a good shout...
    http://www.adverts.ie/recording-equipment/antelope-audio-orion-32/2581107

32 channels through USB?? Is that correct? It also seems unbelievably cheap, especially in light of their Masterclock being 2100e. Whats the catch here??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭fitz

32 channels through USB?? Is that correct? It also seems unbelievably cheap, especially in light of their Masterclock being 2100e. Whats the catch here??

I know!
    Worth seeing about getting a demo. If it delivers, it's fantastic value.
    The Apogee Symphony system looks, but pricey, particularly if you want the Thunderbolt option.

Anyone got any experience with the Yamaha o2r96 VCM? 16 pre's, AD/DA conversion AND can be used as a Protools control surface.

Ok, it seems like I'm talking to myself here now :) But sure what the hey....
    Looking at the reviews about the Antelope Orion 32, and it looks very promising. Heard some A B tests with a Lynx Aurora, and was impressed. An Orion 32, a 4 channel API pre, maybe an ISA 828 and maybe one or two UA Twin Finities and a UA Solo 601, and thats a damn good 17 Channel signal path! Thats probably achievable with about 8 grand too.

Any amendments anyone would make to that?

Also, are there any consoles out there that have pro standard pre amps at a good price. As I am looking at the possibility of an analogue or analogue/digi console working with the Orion 32. Looking at using it for tracking and also feeding the tracks back out to it to mix analogue.

Any advice?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 347 ✭✭SeanHurley

Bit late to this convo. I'm currently looking at an RME Raydat (€580) and an SSL Alphalink AX (€2100) Thats 24i/o (and up to 32i/o with the Raydat) for under €3k.

The Raydat is PCIe based so no issue with firewire/usb buffer overflows with Pro Tools. Also the RME low latency drivers are rock solid.

From speaking to fellow Boarder Paul Brewer I gather the SSL convertors are really really good value for money and can compete with the big boys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 308 ✭✭tweeky

I have the SSL Alphalink and have to say it is a no brainier with 24 channels of 1/O for just over €2000. I A/B'd it with the Apogee's and there was little in it when compared with the €10000 for 2 DA16's and 2 DA16. But a world better than the Digi 888/24's that they replaced. I clock them with a Rosendahl nanoclocks.

Advertisement