Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best treatment/advice for box hedge

• 09-04-2013 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi, I have a substantial amount of box hedge, planted about 10 years ago, it looks well enough, a bit bare at the bottom after the winter but otherwise ok and a good green colour. However, every year around May/June it gets a white powdery sticky stuff on it in places. In the past I've just washed it off, my neighbour made a spray of washing up liquid or something (!?) and i fed it afterwards but I'm wondering is there a way to stop this appearing this year, in case its something like a disease. I've read somewhere that its an aphid or something).
    Anyway, I have blood fish and bone in the garden shed and was wondering should I feed it now even though there's very little new growth yet with the cold weather, would it make the hedge stronger and less prone to this kind of thing, or should it be something like a liquid seaweed feed, or a spray, though I've never come across anything lie that in a garden centre.
    Any advice at all that I could get about best treatment for a box hedge would be much appreciated as Its really nice to look at and i don't want to lose the hedge! Many thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi, I have a substantial amount of box hedge, planted about 10 years ago, it looks well enough, a bit bare at the bottom after the winter but otherwise ok and a good green colour. However, every year around May/June it gets a white powdery sticky stuff on it in places. In the past I've just washed it off, my neighbour made a spray of washing up liquid or something (!?) and i fed it afterwards but I'm wondering is there a way to stop this appearing this year, in case its something like a disease. I've read somewhere that its an aphid or something).
    Anyway, I have blood fish and bone in the garden shed and was wondering should I feed it now even though there's very little new growth yet with the cold weather, would it make the hedge stronger and less prone to this kind of thing, or should it be something like a liquid seaweed feed, or a spray, though I've never come across anything lie that in a garden centre.
    Any advice at all that I could get about best treatment for a box hedge would be much appreciated as Its really nice to look at and i don't want to lose the hedge! Many thanks.

Wooly Aphids

Thread here with pictures and natural/homemade remedies for them.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78880995

Advertisement