Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tunnel on Thursday morning

Options
  • 09-04-2013 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I've got a flight to catch on Thursday morning at 7.15, so need to be heading through the tunnel just before 6, but it's closed til 7 apparently.

I've got a vague recollection that it was closed before Xmas when I was on a similar flight, and it was actually open by the time I went through. Does anyone know if the workers have specific things to do, and if they finish early, they'll just reopen the tunnel and go home? I'm guessing with it being the middle of the 3 closing nights, it's unlikely they'll be open, in which case I'll have to detour via the city. Going that way should add what, 10 minutes to the journey depending on lights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I wouldn't bet on it being open! You should fly through the city at that hour no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

it'll add 5-10 mins at most at that time of the morning. when you come into the city you take the first bridge and you go down via the sculpture factory and then onto the south link road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

If you had time before you left, you could check the tunnel cameras.
    They are online here:

http://www.corkcity.ie/video/jacklynchtunnel/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

pwurple wrote: »
    If you had time before you left, you could check the tunnel cameras.
    They are online here:

http://www.corkcity.ie/video/jacklynchtunnel/

didn't even know this existed (the cameras, not the tunnel ;) )
    It's a pity they don't have them at other points, especially on areas of potential congestion where if the driver knew in advance could take alternative routes before it's too late. One classic example is coming onto the South Ring from Rochestown, only to realise as you approach the Bloomfield interchange heading West that the entire road is gridlocked due to some clown causing an accident:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

They also have an app that you can install on an iPhone/Android - search for 'Jack Lynch Tunnel'
    Also the closures that are advertised are as follows:
    Mar 26 20:00-07:00
    Apr 09 20:00-07:00
    Apr 10 20:00-07:00
    Apr 11 20:00-07:00
    Jul 02 20:00-07:00
    Jul 03 20:00-0700

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

One classic example is coming onto the South Ring from Rochestown, only to realise as you approach the Bloomfield interchange heading West that the entire road is gridlocked due to some clown causing an accident:mad:

Maybe caused by a clown checking his Tunnel app while driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Maybe caused by a clown checking his Tunnel app while driving.

I'll ignore your assumption of a male driver:)
    If he's heading west then there's no need to be checking his tunnel app;)
    There will always be fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Check at roadwatch on twitter before leaving home. Can't have cameras everywhere in case of an accident on your route.

Advertisement