Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plants that don't need much soil?

• 09-04-2013 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

i've an area that i'm looking for planting ideas if anyone can advise -

the area is 125feet long, it's a rectangular shape, bordering a courtyard. we have edged the 125feet length of this with stone, almost like a raised bed.

the problem is the depth of soil is only approximately 1foot. we laid topsoil and farmyard manure onto hardcore that was on the ground.

i was thinkng that alpines might do well there? i've been googling, but it would be great to hear from real people that can advise any shallow rooted plants i can grow there

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

Its a pity you added the manure as alpines prefer poor soil with sharp drainage, plenty of grit would have been better instead of manure.. If anything i learned the past couple of years is that decide what you want to grow first then work the soil.
    Anyway i saw this video by Bunny Guinness and she has plants growing in a few inches of soil over hardcore. The secret is to get the plants in the ground when they are young as they will adapt themselves.

About 2 mins in
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLpML5zDWE4

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,834 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one foot is actually a decent amount of soil. i had about the same in the last garden, and the plants were more than happy. including stuff like curly hazel, a young magnolia, beech hedging...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I planted a fatsia Japonica in such a situation and to top it all, the base was concrete. It's now 9 feet tall. I think most shrubs would do ok and then underplant with perenials, even roses would be ok.The key would be to mulch one a year and I always add some well rotted manure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

i've an area that i'm looking for planting ideas if anyone can advise -

the area is 125feet long, it's a rectangular shape, bordering a courtyard. we have edged the 125feet length of this with stone, almost like a raised bed.

the problem is the depth of soil is only approximately 1foot. we laid topsoil and farmyard manure onto hardcore that was on the ground.

i was thinkng that alpines might do well there? i've been googling, but it would be great to hear from real people that can advise any shallow rooted plants i can grow there

thanks

No harm to mix in some grit aswell.

You could plant in some Sedums here and there.

Bees love them too.....which in turn will be of great benefit to your garden and other plants.:D

Going to use a carpet of sedum on the roof of our duck house.:)

You could also mix in some Anemone plants and some Snakes Heads too for some nice spring ground cover and flowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

1 foot of soil will be plenty for bulbs, bedding, most perennials and shrubs.

Is it well drained? How compact was the hardcore under it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You could also put in some ferns (Evergreen and Deciduous) around the place and maybe add in some rocks or an old tree trunk or log pile as a bit of a habitat for some of the creatures and bugs to take shelter.

Advertisement