Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Hunt

Options
  • 09-04-2013 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Is anyone else finding it difficult to secure employment in Carlow?

I been trying for several weeks and all nothing as of yet has happened for me. I'm looking for a full time position. All the jobs seem to be part-time and they require you to be flexible with the amount of days, which makes it impossible to do x & O's , and most the other jobs are with Jobsbridge.

Anyone know of any good sites, agency's or jobs?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭nomunnnofun

Can you give a bit more info on your experience, qualifications etc. You haven't given us much to go on here. Have you tried looking on FAS website etc. Intern positions ? I know these aren't ideal as they aren't paid :( but depending on your circumstances might be beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

www.indeed.ie is a very good site with good search options

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭personaltrainer

spar in graiguecullen is looking for a full time deli assistant

• Registered Users Posts: 15 curious carlovian

rasco I will try www.indeedie, thank you.

I have office experience so I would be interested in work in this sector. I have always graduated with a humanities degree, so maybe an internship might be the avenue for me. I have been on a social benefit the past several years and I am keen to get back working. It was great while I was in full time education. I'm considering doing an online post-grad, which would run in the evening, so I would be able to work full time office hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Costa's beside the cinema are looking for people too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

Costa's beside the cinema are looking for people too.

Are they moving to where Pizza Hut were? A larger premises could be the reason why they're hiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Morf wrote: »
    Are they moving to where Pizza Hut were? A larger premises could be the reason why they're hiring.

Yeah they are i was there today its going to be a much bigger shop

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

iano.p wrote: »
    Yeah they are i was there today its going to be a much bigger shop

Crazy Idea. Not sure they will get the base needed to fund that!!! Though they did need bigger then where they are

I've left a cv in for the new costa opening in the hanover unit, I think there is roughly eight jobs on offer so here's hoping. Thanks for letting me know about it. The lack of jobs in Carlow and nationwide is more than depressing

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Amanda7148

It is very difficult. My local Aldi was looking for staff, and I have plenty of customer service experience, and shop work experience, I submitted my CV and I never heard a thing! Sometimes I wonder what these companies are actually looking for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jester144

jobs.ie are quite good.

If you have office experience there are jobs available at the moment working for SGS. These vacancies are nationwide and they are looking for verification staff to issue the new driving licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭jolou86

I'm finding it difficult too, I am a graduate with a post grad in PR and events as well as a FETAC in graphic design!! But for now I just want any paying full time job so I can get a place to live and start buying equipment for design. I find there are plenty of places around who seem to be looking but it's tough to hear back from any!! I mean I've send off CV's to places weeks ago and don't even get an automated response to say the email/cv has been received which can be a bit annoying...I think a curtesy 'we got your C.V' or 'sorry, your not a suitable candidate' would be fair instead of just leaving people hanging on!!
    But stay positive, something is bound to turn up for us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jester144

I'm finding it difficult too, I am a graduate with a post grad in PR and events as well as a FETAC in graphic design!! But for now I just want any paying full time job so I can get a place to live and start buying equipment for design. I find there are plenty of places around who seem to be looking but it's tough to hear back from any!! I mean I've send off CV's to places weeks ago and don't even get an automated response to say the email/cv has been received which can be a bit annoying...I think a curtesy 'we got your C.V' or 'sorry, your not a suitable candidate' would be fair instead of just leaving people hanging on!!

Do you send a general covering letter or is it always tailored to the role?

always tailored to the role, I have generic stuff I'll always say, hard working, responsible etc but I do tailor it.

Thanks Jester, I've applied for the verification job. The competition for jobs at the moment makes finding a job hard, we are all battling each other with cv's suited best to the occupation we apply, all of us genuinely trying to secure that job! I wonder what is the volume of applicants applying for each post? It most surely have to be extremely high.
    I also applied to the local Aldi store and received no reply, like you I do question 'what are they looking for?'

9 hours ago
    15/04/2013 13:33

BespokeGenie

I think your right. A positive mental attitude is needed. The state of our country's affairs can be seen when equipped graduates are left unable to find a job that they are skilled in or equally seen when they cant secure jobs that require no previous experience! Like you, I think a courtesy letter or email would be nice, I think after a certain period its obvious the job had been filled but the recognition that your cv was received would be nice.

Do you reckon the first cv's that suit that come in are the ones brought to interview?

I hope you find work soon!

I'd say it might be a case of first come first served just because of the volume and I'd say experience is the main thing. I think staying positive is key though, keeping yourself busy in the meantime, like I am doing some learning at home of stuff I wanna do art wise so I try set the alarm get up as early as I can work straight on what I'm trying to learn for hours and then you know you haven't totally lost the drive that's needed to get through when your trying to find a job, because it can really get you down.
    But saying that I believe one hundred percent that there is work out there to be had, it's just a little more competitive but it should be, if you ask me!

But I will also add that I find the amount of employers looking for interns under that CE scheme or whatever is a bit of a joke. I mean, it's all well and good if it's genuine and there will be a mentor and you will learn and there will be job prospects after but what annoys me is that none suggest the offer of work or even assistance in getting work after and I know for a fact that some have no mentor and you are merely a 'lackey', doing a whole load of work with zero support for free...I know 1 internship at the moment being on offer and I will mention no names but I know for a fact there will be no mentor involved and it will be 9months of doing the donkey work for people unable to do the job themselves/too lazy too/too cheap to hire some one. And I know that the work should be done by a paid individual who would get paid alot to do it and it is not a proper internship, there will be no mentor, no learning and no proper thanks. Fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Seemingly on the internship schemes - the company have to hire 1 in 4 interns otherwise they won't get any more interns through the scheme. So there is a chance of a job of them, how likely is another story:rolleyes:

Husband works for a company that has about 15/20 interns throughout and they have to hire four of them. The company are getting their pick of them though.

Advertisement