Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" re-enters the Charts following death of MT

• 09-04-2013 11:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭

The song "Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" has re-entered that charts following Margaret Thatchers death as a result of a Facebook campaign.

It was number 1 in the amazon charts and number 2 on iTunes the last time I checked.

We all know the power of these Facebook campaigns for number one (RATM for christmas number one etc) but I can't help thinking this one is a bit more spiteful. I know she did some pretty awful things but surely there's a line when it comes to openly mocking the dead?

It'll be interesting to see how radio presenters in the BBC or other Bristish Radio stations will react if it remains at number one and played on chart shows come sunday night! Especially seeing as the media coverage of her so far has been nothing but positive!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

This is actually in no way aimed at the death of MT, she was never that great a person but theres no need to go on about her now shes gone, not that much anyway imho but everytime I hear that song I think of this :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

It'll probably get to number 1 in the British Charts*

*sells about 100 copies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

It's a fine example of how a free market works, which makes it a fitting tribute for dear old Maggie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Mocking the dead is one thing, but imagine being a family member grieving and knowing that a huge proportion of people are celebrating your loss.

Not nice at all I would imagine.

Say what you want about the woman, but campaigning on Facebook and taking to the streets to rejoice is pushing it a bit.

It always reminds me of this scene from The Naked Gun 2½:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

johnt91 wrote: »
    I know she did some pretty awful things but surely there's a line when it comes to openly mocking the dead?

There's a worse line crossed when mocking the dead is a punishable offence or people are too afraid to do it for fear of negative ramifications.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

Why do people always say that it's wrong to speak ill of the dead? Surely if you're going to speak ill of someone, the best time to do it is when they're dead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Mocking the dead is one thing, but imagine being a family member grieving and knowing that a huge proportion of people are celebrating your loss.

Not nice at all I would imagine.

Can't imagine many celebrating the loss of their jobs by her

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

Apparently her last words were "Trevor McDonald". A fitting tribute to the man.

But in other news, that really is ridiculous. People confuse me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

She nearly ruined my dad when he had his own company, he had to lay off all his staff and go back to one office designing and getting contractors to build stands for him. (he was a exhibition stand designer) I know this song has mostly male referances, but think it sums her up !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

What's with all this 'respect for the dead' nonsense about thatcher. Regardless of your opinion of the women, surely it's common knowledge that there's a lot of people looking forward to the moment she was no longer stealing oxygen.

First single I've bought in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Frito

Reports of her death have been denied by ATOS, who have subsequently found her fit for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

It is seriously annoying some establishment figures that Britain has now got a former leader as reviled as some of the world's greatest despots.
    They are even getting Mrs Winsdor out to try and pretend they held her in high esteem. She hasn't attended a PM's funeral since 1965, she could be embroiled in a riot, judging from the hate so evident on the streets at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Australian Foreign Minister has revealed Margaret's 'unabashed racism'.

I would like to have heard her after she'd had a few ales goin' on about the Irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

I don't have any allegiance to the late Mrs. Thatcher however I do find it very distasteful that the death of an elderly woman is being celebrated to such a large extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

What a waste of money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Story from The Irish Times.

Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead storms charts in wake of Thatcher death

Punters buying Wizard of Oz track in droves after divisive former British leader’s passing
    The death of Margaret Thatcher could propel The Wizard Of Oz track Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead into the top 40 of the British singles chart.

The late former prime minister divided opinion and while many have mourned, some have seen her death as a cause for celebration prompting a download surge for the track.

In the space of less than 12 hours Judy Garland’s version had made it to number 54, according to the latest sales figures collated for the Official Charts Company. It is expected to climb higher as a result of a Facebook campaign being set up to encourage sales.

Thatcher ceremonial funeral to be held on April 17th
    Video: Ding Dong The Witch Is Dead

The Irish Times takes no responsibility for the content or availability of other websites.
    There has been some speculation that it may be too short to qualify at just 51 seconds, but chart bosses say it is eligible. In 2007 the track The Ladies Bras by Wisbey made the chart despite lasting just 36 seconds.

Garland’s version is not the only one to be selling. A performance by Ella Fitzgerald is at 146 and one by the Munchkins is at 183. If sales of the three versions had been combined it would be selling strongly enough to be at number 40.

The Official Charts Company will release its midweek sales tomorrow to give an indication of whether it is continuing to sell and the top 40 itself will be announced on Sunday.

Garland’s version is also at number 16 in the iTunes chart today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Australian Foreign Minister has revealed Margaret's 'unabashed racism'.

I would like to have heard her after she'd had a few ales goin' on about the Irish.
    She said "if we allowed too much of it we'd see the natives of the land, the European settlers, overtaken by migrants", he said.

Hmmm...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Alessandra wrote: »
    I don't have any allegiance to the late Mrs. Thatcher however I do find it very distasteful that the death of an elderly woman is being celebrated to such a large extent.

I agree. Whatever about celebrating her political demise, I don't see the point of celebrating her death. It's not like she was particularly influential in her last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

darced wrote: »

But its debatable who screwed more minors, Thatcher or Saville!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Becoming dead does not absolve one of the evils they committed during their life. People say "respect the dead" and "you shouldnt speak ill of the dead" as if once someone dies they immediately become saints. Respect is earned not deserved. If she earned the respect of people in life she deserves it in death. She did not do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

Lol at the idiots paying money for a song 70+ years old. That's really going to hurt Maggie...oh wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

kinkygirl wrote: »
    Lol at the idiots paying money for a song 70+ years old. That's really going to hurt Maggie...oh wait!

There are many songs explicilty about thatcher, so picking that one is somewhat odd. I would have thought "tramp the dirt down" the obvious choice, meself.

darced wrote: »
    But its debatable who screwed more minors, Thatcher or Saville!.

Seriously? Like or detest the woman for her politics, you equate her to a vile paedophile?

Seriously? Like or detest the woman for her politics, you equate her to a vile paedophile?

Oh no missus, she's far far worse than that ~ far worse.

Refused to put in sanctions against apartheid south africa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_28

cheerleader for reagan, lifted the arms embargo against pinochet.....attitude to NI, the planet in general. A vile, destructive individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Yeah. That's a bit strong, she wasn't a pedo. Vile, on the other hand...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

why did so many Irish people Emigrate to her country in the 1980's so, if she was so bad?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

It was a joke. "Minor"/"miner" wordplay.

I'm not into the celebration of her death stuff - I even have a bit of admiration for certain aspects of her legacy, but I find it quite bewildering how there are people pretending her flaws were only tiny, insignificant ones.

true wrote: »
    why did so many Irish people Emigrate to her country in the 1980's so, if she was so bad?

We were through this before.
    Once there was a man who we'll call Mussolini. He started lots of works around a country. Imagine Irish people went there to work. Does this make Mussolini a wonderful person?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84053683&postcount=273

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

If someone has a negative opinion on someone why should it suddenly change because they're dead. It's quite hypocritical of someone to suddenly "like" or "respect" someone after their death when they easily would have bad mouthed them if they were still alive.

That was a generalisation and not solely based M.T

Far worse than a paedophile? Please elaborate. Truthfully, I thought there were few things worse than a child abuser.

Weathering wrote: »
    If someone has a negative opinion on someone why should it suddenly change because they're dead. It's quite hypocritical of someone to suddenly "like" or "respect" someone after their death when they easily would have bad mouthed them if they were still alive.

Because she's easier to like when she's dead?

Seachmall wrote: »

In fairness, she wouldn't be able to speak, and with maggie, that was 50% of the pain.

• Advertisement

Yeah Hitler's likeability factor sky rocketed after he died

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

We'll find out during the midweek chart update on BBC Radio 1 tomorrow. Greg James, from 4pm.

As far as I know, you can expect it around 5-6pm. Trust me, they will mention why it is there. Their news coverage on the station doesn't pussyfoot, even hours after her death.

Yeah Hitler's likeability factor sky rocketed after he died

Are you suggesting people liked Hitler better when he was alive?

Are you suggesting people liked Hitler better when he was alive?

No I was being sarcastic in response to your ...... question

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FfrICObRO1g

Some rather interesting interpretations of lyrics from the jovial British crowd

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Nodin wrote: »
    There are many songs explicilty about thatcher, so picking that one is somewhat odd. I would have thought "tramp the dirt down" the obvious choice, meself.

You are an odd creature. A few days ago you were preaching to me about tolerance and whatnot. Yet today ive seen you make postings defending violent republicans and now celebrating an old womans death.

You claim to be 43, shouldnt you have dropped the radical leftist spiel by this stage?

No I was being sarcastic in response to your ...... question

Oh, I thought it was some weird hipster-fascism thing.

"Hitler was ssssooooooooo much better when he was alive!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Yeah what a bitch, like no Australians have ever had any racist tendencies towards Asian immigrants ever, no Irish Americans ever supported Reagan ever, no one in the world ever spoke ill of the Soviet single party state ever, nowhere else in the world did anyone stand up to terrorists ever, nowhere else in the world did anyone support the devil they knew over the one they didn't ever, nowhere else in the world did a leader take on the bloodsucking unions ever.

Let's party!

You are an odd creature. A few days ago you were preaching to me about tolerance and whatnot. Yet today ive seen you make postings defending violent republicans and now celebrating an old womans death.

You claim to be 43, shouldnt you have dropped the radical leftist spiel by this stage?

You might link to where I've (a) defended "violent republicans" and (b) 'celebrated an old womans death. Ta.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 388 ✭✭Truncheon Rouge

Karsini wrote: »
    It always reminds me of this scene from The Naked Gun 2½:

Thats not the naked gun surely.

Surely calling someone an odd creature is against board rules? So anyone who thinks differently to you is a radical leftist and by the time they reach a certain age they should change their beliefs.

In response to that I kindly ask you to recite over your opening sentence

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Nodin wrote: »
    You might link to where I've (a) defended "violent republicans" and (b) 'celebrated an old womans death. Ta.

Reread your posts on this and the other thread. I know you Shinners are very forgetful folk, but come on!

Reread your posts on this and the other thread. I know you Shinners are very forgetful folk, but come on!

I'm aware of what I posted, and can recall no such post. You seem to know what you're on about though, so you'll be able to provide the link to where I've (a) defended "violent republicans" and (b) 'celebrated an old womans death.

Two things, shouldn't be hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Maybe the 'sickos' celebrating her death have been indoctrinated by the heartlessness and mean spiritness that her neo liberal policies stood for.

Personally, I couldn't give a rat's, after all, according to some, isn't there no such thing as society?

Lets stop all the fighting y'all
    Here is a song to lighten the mood

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvX_5ym_ajI

• Advertisement
Advertisement