Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Ding Dong the Witch is Dead" re-enters the Charts following death of MT

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Weathering wrote: »
    So anyone who thinks differently to you is a radical leftist and by the time they reach a certain age they should change their beliefs.

Nope.

Nodin IS a radical leftist. When I saw he was the last person who posted on this thread, I already knew the comment wasnt going to be complimentary. Dealing with an ideology rather than an individual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Nodin wrote: »
    Refused to put in sanctions against apartheid south africa

You are still clasping at straws. Our government here refused to put in sanctions against South Africa in the eighties but you did not criticise Haughey when he died because of that did you
    Actually the first foreirn former head of state to confirm he was coming to Mrs T.'s funeral was Fw de Clerk, the man who dismantled Apartheid and let Mandela out of prison. “Thatcher did more to release Nelson Mandela out of prison than any of the other hundreds of anti-apartheid committees, in Europe,” Pik Botha, the last foreign minister of the apartheid regime, said Tuesday on Talk Radio 702 in Johannesburg.

F.W. de Klerk, the last apartheid-era president of South Africa, said in a statement that Thatcher, whom he called a friend, was “a steadfast critic of apartheid.” He said she had a better grasp of the complexities and realities of South Africa than many of her contemporaries.

“She exerted more influence in what happened in South Africa than any other political leader who at that stage was in the international political stage,” de Klerk said. He said Thatcher “correctly believed” that more could be achieved through constructive engagement with his government than international sanctions and isolation of the South African government.

Thatcher argued that sanctions were immoral because they would hurt South African blacks and throw thousands out of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Nope.

Nodin IS a radical leftist. When I saw he was the last person who posted on this thread, I already knew the comment wasnt going to be complimentary. Dealing with an ideology rather than an individual.

Yeah, great stuff.

Wheres the links wayne?

true wrote: »
    You are still (........) out of work.

Funny that the "blacks" disagreed. Funnier still the amount of wealth that was routed through london by Apartheid SA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Leave Nodin alone lads. While I don't agree with him a good percentage of the time the man knows his stuff and is a very good debater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Weathering

She called Nelson Mandella a terrorist

There are many songs explicilty about thatcher, so picking that one is somewhat odd. I would have thought "tramp the dirt down" the obvious choice, meself.

What is this if not celebrating her death?

The last few lyrics of that song - 'Cos when they finally put you in the ground, they'll stand there laughing and tramp the dirt down.'

What is this if not celebrating her death?

The last few lyrics of that song - 'Cos when they finally put you in the ground, they'll stand there laughing and tramp the dirt down.'

Thats pointing out that its odd that people are buying an old song thats really only an unrelated snippet, when theres a full length track dedicated specifically to the subject.

Furthermore
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=84053581&postcount=267

Now - one more to go - "violent republicans" - a link please.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

She called Nelson Mandella a terrorist

Was he not?

• Advertisement

Was he not?
    No. He won.

Was he not?

He was right, was what he was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

Funny that the "blacks" disagreed.
    She was not elected by the blacl or whites or anyone of south Africa. What is relevant is that "F.W. de Klerk, the last apartheid-era president of South Africa, said in a statement that Thatcher, whom he called a friend, was “a steadfast critic of apartheid.” He said she had a better grasp of the complexities and realities of South Africa than many of her contemporaries".

Now, why do you criticise Thatchers sanction of South Africa when you do not criticise Haugheys sanction treatment of South Africa?

He was right, was what he was.

I agree with that, doesn't mean he wasn't a terrorist though.

Was he not?

Well America holds him in the highest esteem and given their relations with terrorists I'd doubt it very much

She was not elected by the blacl or whites or anyone of south Africa. What is relevant is that "F.W. de Klerk, the last apartheid-era president of South Africa, said in a statement that Thatcher, whom he called a friend, was “a steadfast critic of apartheid.” He said she had a better grasp of the complexities and realities of South Africa than many of her contemporaries".?

This would be the FW de Klerk who had a far easier ride because there were no sanctions imposed?
    Now, why do you criticise Thatchers sanction of South Africa when you do not criticise Haugheys sanction treatment of South Africa?

Haughey was a scumbag, thanks. I note you haven't criticised Robert Mugabes economics either.

• Advertisement

Well America holds him in the highest esteem and given their relations with terrorists I'd doubt it very much

That's a fairly ridiculous standard to judge terrorists by.

I hope he never dies.

They only took him & the ANC off the "terror" list in 2008. The US was a long time supporter of Apartheid SA and Rhodesia under Ian Smith.

I hope he never dies.

Link n02 there wayne oul flower...."violent republicans"....

That's a fairly ridiculous standard to judge terrorists by.

I was being sarcastic..GOD

• Advertisement

I hope he never dies.

He won't

Imagine the carnage if the internet had been around when Cromwell died? What a meltdown that would have been.:pac:

He won't

Some Saffers believe that when he passes, there will be an 'uhuru' unleashed against them. Genocidewatch.org has South Africa at stage six of the genocide process - preparation.

http://www.genocidewatch.org/southafrica.html

Such a beautiful but troubled country. :(

Some Saffers believe that when he passes, there will be an 'uhuru' unleashed against them. Genocidewatch.org has South Africa at stage six of the genocide process - preparation.

http://www.genocidewatch.org/southafrica.html

Such a beautiful but troubled country. :(

I worked with two white South Africans in Australia for a few months. They were absolutely crazy. They 100pc believed that when Nelson Mandella dies they have to return to S.A immediately,take up arms and be ready. They believe it will signal the start of ww3. This was shortly before Obama was elected for the first time and the amount of crap they were spouting about him and devil was crazy. In the end I was fed up disagreeing with them and just switched off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I have a little sympathy for Thatcher's family at the negative reaction to her passing but goodness me I'm enjoying the writhing of her fanboys.

'Thatcher fanboys'... Lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Imagine the carnage if the internet had been around when Cromwell died? What a meltdown that would have been.:pac:

Wait till Adams dies, I hate the man with a vengance, but I won't be celebrating his death. I will however be thinking back over his words (dubbed & not dubbed) when he was banned from the airwaves in the 80s. I will ponder on what his contribution was to society as a whole over his lifetime, and just thinking about the good (making peace) in the latter half of his life, and the bad (reaking death & destruction for the 1st half), but I won't be celebrating his death, not now that he's mellowed & taken the political path.

I worked with two white South Africans in Australia for a few months. They were absolutely crazy. They 100pc believed that when Nelson Mandella dies they have to return to S.A immediately,take up arms and be ready. They believe it will signal the start of ww3. This was shortly before Obama was elected for the first time and the amount of crap they were spouting about him and devil was crazy. In the end I was fed up disagreeing with them and just switched off

I worked with three of them when I was a teen. This was early 00s so no skype or facebook. They used to call home at least once a day. I was young and naive - couldnt understand why they were always on their phone at break. If you are that homesick, go home. I wasnt aware of what was going on over there. Why stay here and spend fortunes in phone bills. Truth was they were worried sick about their families at home. They were small farmers. Saffer farmers have a murder rate of 97 out of 100, 000. Thats a f*cking purge. Plan was to save up a large cash sum and relocate the fam over here. Hope they were succesful, nice lads. We had a few after work drinks one night after we were done with a stocktake. Should have been sacked on the spot - saffers just laughed and shook their heads. Nothing ever said.

LordSutch wrote: »
    Wait till Adams dies, I hate the man with a vengance, but I won't be celebrating his death. I will however be thinking back over his words (dubbed & not dubbed) when he was banned from the airwaves in the 80s. I will ponder on what his contribution was to society as a whole over his lifetime, and just thinking about the good (making peace) in the latter half of his life, and the bad (reaking death & destruction for the 1st half), but I won't be celebrating his death, not now that he's mellowed & taken the political path.

No, you'll just wait for somebody to desecrate his grave and agree it was "karma".

Australia's Foreign Minister Bob Carr has described comments made by Baroness Thatcher as "unabashedly racist".

http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22087702

I worked with(....)ever said.

Wheres the link about the "violent republicans" wayne? Or are you going to withdraw the accusation.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Sorry, I gave the wrong timing for the chart update in my earlier post: the countdown has begun on BBC Radio 1 now.

Update: It's number 10 in the chart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

There are many songs explicilty about thatcher, so picking that one is somewhat odd. I would have thought "tramp the dirt down" the obvious choice, meself.

I particularly like this one....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Her husband Dennis who after over doing it on the G&T's ,would arrive home in the early hours and much to her annoyance would wake her up saying '' wake up Maggie dear , I think I have something to say to you ''

• Site Banned Posts: 85 ✭✭Fr_Fitzexactly

vicwatson wrote: »
    It'll probably get to number 1 in the British Charts*

*sells about 100 copies

Nowadays only suckers buy pre-recorded music that isn't vinyl. One lad with a bit of dosh to spare can boost it to #1 in the charts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭For Paws

Elvis Costello's 'Tramp The Dirt Down'

"I'd like to live/long enough to savour/
    That's when they finally put you in the ground/
    I'll stand on your grave and tramp the dirt down."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

vicwatson wrote: »
    I particularly like this one....

pfft :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭porsche959

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,949 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

She was not elected by the blacl or whites or anyone of south Africa. What is relevant is that "F.W. de Klerk, the last apartheid-era president of South Africa, said in a statement that Thatcher, whom he called a friend, was “a steadfast critic of apartheid.” He said she had a better grasp of the complexities and realities of South Africa than many of her contemporaries".

".....the complexities and realities of South Africa".

Nothing complex about an apartheid state.

Simply revolting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭kingofslaves

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

To call her racist was a bit far fetched.

At the time, the ANC said that if in power they would seize all British companies and monies in SA.

It ended up happening in Zimbabwe anyway.

Inevitably Thatcher was less than keen on the ANC
    (as would any British PM if facing the same issue).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭space_man

No, you'll just wait for somebody to desecrate his grave and agree it was "karma".
    Australia's Foreign Minister Bob Carr has described comments made by Baroness Thatcher as "unabashedly racist".

http://http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-22087702

• Registered Users Posts: 5 southdublin87

Haha Thats gas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

LordSutch wrote: »

One would almost think that Gerry operated in a vacumn. Your ability to ignore whole herds of elephants trampling through a given room is getting more and more fascinating. Jim McAllister was on the telly last night giving us his opinion on the GFA, one would think that the venerable Jim misses the violence, he wanted the GFA repealed because it didn't fit his vision of democracy.
    If you want to succumb to your 'real' feelings when Gerry shuffles his mortal coil, feel free, you will not find real democrats stopping you or restricting you. We do reserve the right to disagree with you though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,451 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I'd say a better, possibly more subtle, Costello song is Shipbuilding:

or the rawer, more poignant Robert Wyatt version. If you can listen to this and not be moved, there is no hope for you.

That said, for every copy of Ding Dong... sold, a few pence will go to the estate of EY Harburg, the lyricist, who was driven out of Hollywood by the Red Scare blacklists. She would have loved that.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

I see our government will send Pat Rabbitte to represent them at Mrs T funeral. Perfect choice an extreme right wing so called member of the Labour party attending the pinup conservative model's funeral. I heard Pat was broken hearted when he was told Mr T was dead. He said with tears in his eyes that Mr T was his favourite action hero. Hope he doesn't make a fool of himself over in HollywoodLondon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

What number is the song at now? Heard no.4 as of Wednesday night in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Your ability to ignore whole herds of elephants trampling through a given room is getting more and more fascinating.

Please clarify "herds of elephants".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Nope.

LOL, you're funny Wayne. - ragging on another poster for "dealing with an ideology rather than an individual" - sure isn't that Hatcher did all her life, Be consistent - otherwise your posts are foolish. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Mr Tibbs wrote: »
    I see our government will send Pat Rabbitte to represent them at Mrs T funeral. Perfect choice an extreme right wing so called member of the Labour party attending the pinup conservative model's funeral. I heard Pat was broken hearted when he was told Mr T was dead. He said with tears in his eyes that Mr T was his favourite action hero. Hope he doesn't make a fool of himself over in HollywoodLondon.

seriously???? that's laughable. Another nail in labour's coffin.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

seriously???? that's laughable. Another nail in labour's coffin.

All joking aside that is who the government has elected to go. I was shocked when I read this in the Indo. I suppose it will be easy to pick his head out among the funeral cortege.

• Advertisement
Advertisement