Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a GSD

• 09-04-2013 11:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering is it ok to buy a gsd from sites like done deal?

Comments

abdul 1995 wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering is it ok to buy a gsd from sites like done deal?

Is it ok to traffic people around the world for a profit?

No...absolutely don't buy a dog from done deal !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 75 ✭✭abdul 1995

but what is the alternative then :p i dont really know much about this. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭hollysf

Get one from the pound or your local rescue centre

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Or go to a proper breeder who hipscores his dogs. I cannot stress this enough, do not buy from anyone who does not hipscore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

No...absolutely don't buy a dog from done deal !!!

Would you like to elaborate why specifically? There's no point making grand sweeping statements if you can't back them up.Help the OP make an informed choice about the "dos" and "donts" of where to get a good GSD from? It's against our forum charter to link to these sites,but can you explain what the OPs alternatives are? TheEntrepeneur you're here long enough....you know what i'm going to say.
    but what is the alternative then :p i dont really know much about this. thanks
    Rommie wrote: »
    Or go to a proper breeder who hipscores his dogs. I cannot stress this enough, do not buy from anyone who does not hipscore
    +1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

Your first port of call should be to the GSD club secretary for a list of breeders. Secondly do you want a sloped back show dog or a straight backed working dog? If you get no where with the club secretary you could try the local pound.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Would you like to elaborate why specifically? There's no point making grand sweeping statements if you can't back them up.Help the OP make an informed choice about the "dos" and "donts" of where to get a good GSD from? It's against our forum charter to link to these sites,but can you explain what the OPs alternatives are? TheEntrepeneur you're here long enough....you know what i'm going to say.

Rescue a dog from the pound, find a breeder that shows them, get a recommendation from a vet, a German Shepherd club - just don't contribute to puppy farming. A search on the site explains this but agreed, I should have been more helpful

reading about puppy farming disgusts me,however i see why its popular because i can like get a ikc registerd gsd pup for only like 150 from some random farmer while to get it 'properly' theres too much effort envolved hopefull the effort is worth it :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I've said it before, and I'll say it again (and I can't find where I've posted this stuff before :o)
    When buying a GSD, tread with serious care!
    There are a number of breeds which are in a LOT of trouble OP, they're overbred, they're being indiscriminately bred by cowboys who really don't "get" what the breed is all about (nor care), their physical health is becoming cause for serious concern, and worst of all, their behaviour is becoming seriously suspect.
    The GSD is most certainly one of these :(
    The show-style dog is a physical disaster, the working-style dog is physically sound but tends to be very driven in temperament, making it a super working dog, but can be a problem for an average pet dog owner. I'm finding a lot of the people breeding show-style (slopey backed) dogs are producing nervy, jumpy, timid, dangerous disasters.
    It is possible to find a happy middle ground, I have one sitting on my feet right now :), but they're hard to find and you need to do your research. Were I you, I would avoid Donedeal, simply because it's a serious lottery: you might find a good one on it, but you're going to have to wade through a lot of cowboys before you find this. I would be inclined to get talking to people who are breeding working-style dogs, but who will invariably have the odd pup who's more laid back, but will still enjoy physical soundness.
    I suppose a lot of it depends on what you want this dog for?

definitely will go for a working dog bloodline,temperament issues are fixed with exercise/discipline and bieng pack leader (watching cesar milan for past 4 yrs now :D).My problem now is getting a pure gsd thats all,hopefully ill get one soon wont rest until i do xD
    Thanks guys for all the help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

definitely will go for a working dog bloodline,temperament issues are fixed with exercise/discipline and bieng pack leader (watching cesar milan for past 4 yrs now :D).My problem now is getting a pure gsd thats all,hopefully ill get one soon wont rest until i do xD
    Thanks guys for all the help

Please do an awful lot more research than watching cesar milan, research positive training methods and not any of the drivel he comes out with.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

OP, please pm me to convince me to re-open your thread.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement