Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Egg donation;route to IVF

Options
  • 09-04-2013 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I had a look around the forum but didn't see any threads on being a egg donor so thought I would start one:)

After a lot of tests etc it seems the only way I can become pregnant is through IVF and as anyone who has gone through IVF knows it is quite expensive if funds are tight.
    I spent a lot of time researching going to mainland europe for treatment as it can cost up to half of what it costs here and through looking into that I came across egg donation in the UK. There are clinics here that offer satellite sevices to clinics in the UK but they require payment to the irish clinic so I decided to go direct to a clinic in Wales as its the easiest and closest place for me.
    I contacted the clinic and got an appointment for the following week. I had all my previous tests results with me for the first consultation. It lasted about 1.30mins. I had an overian scan and my partner had a SA. Both results were discussed. She went through egg donation, the benefits and the negatives of doing it.

About two weeks later I went back and had a counseling session and genetic and chromosome tests done. The results took a further two weeks to come back and as they were all clear, I was available to be matched with a recipient. This took two days. I am now taking the pill to regulate my cycle to the recipient. I will need to make two more trips to wales, one to gert the drugs and the second one for the last monitoring scan and egg retrieval and transfer. The second trip I will have to be there for one week.

By going this route it won't cost me anything to undergo IVF treatment, or for any of the consultations or tests as long as 12 eggs or more are produced. If the number is less I csn donate all the eggs to the recipient and receive a free cycle myself or keep all the eggs and pay for the cycle.

Would love to know if anyone here has done/doing this as most of the message boards relating to egg donation are uk based.

Any questions feel free to ask or PM.

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I believe that its because there is no egg donation in Ireland. Anyone I know that was seeking donor eggs after fertility treatment here had to go abroad for donor eggs.

I dont know why though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

There are a few clinics in Ireland that offer donor eggs through the European donor network but don't give Irish people the option of becoming an egg donor.

Advertisement