Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Few small issues - can I return?

Options
  • 10-04-2013 12:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭

We went shopping to Galway today.

1. The main issue. My wife bought a toaster in one of the large garden-diy-home supermarkets. It was fairly expensive one (as for a toaster), but it was exactly in the colour she wanted. Unfortunately when she decided to buy, she was told that one from display is the last one, and because it's from display she can get a discount. She agreed, and got 10% discount. Unfortunately when back at home, we realized that bottom of the toaster is cracked. One of 4 stands is just completely cracked off, and therefore toaster stands only on 3 legs.
    What are the options now? Can she return it to the shop? How can she prove that it wasn't herself who cracked it? What's the time limit to return? (we live quite far from Galway and don't go there too often). They don't have any more of those, so they won't be able to exchange it - will they refund money?
    What to do if they refuse to take it back and refund money?

2. This is just out of curiosity. I bought a Henry vacuum cleaner in big electronic supermarket. It was on offer at good price. Sales assistant informed me, that is came with only one dust bag and advised me tu purchase a set of 5 after-market bags which were supposed to be the same as original.
    When I got home, and unpacked my Henry, there was one original bag inside + 3 extra bags. I opened the box with after-market bags, and while they probably fit, they are not even similar to the original ones (completely different material).
    Am I entitled to return those bags, considering sales assistant misinformed me about number or original bags provided and that he claimed they were the same? Box is opened, but they were not even takes out of the box.

Thanks for any info.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The receipt will state the refund policy and time limit, but faulty goods are generally outside of these restrictions. You don't have a right to a refund automatically with faulty goods, the shop can offer a repair or replacement if they want- there is no specific order to the 3 R's. They will probably offer an exchange I would think, for a similar model. Alternatively you might get store credit. Bigger chain stores will generally have no qualms in straight away offering a refund though. I highly doubt they would argue about it, especially knowing that it's a display model. If you're ever buying a display model again though, you should carefully inspect for flaws etc. The fact that you got a discount won't matter. It might if you got the discount BECAUSE of the flaw- this happens in clothes shops with damaged items and it voids the possibility of refund- but if it was not deliberately pointed out to you at the till then it's not an issue. Just go in with your receipt and be pleasant but forthright.

Advertisement