Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weight Training for the 40+ age group

• 10-04-2013 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I in the last 18 months joined a local gym and began weight training.

It did so because I constantly felt like *hite and all the six chins and fat jokes from my teenage kids.
    It's one of the best things I have ever done! I strongly advise that you give it a go.

Local gym rates are excellent - €7 per week

I lost serious bodyfat even though I gained over 20lbs of meat.
    I supplement, and eat well but have hit a slow stage - anyone else got any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

I in the last 18 months joined a local gym and began weight training.

It did so because I constantly felt like *hite and all the six chins and fat jokes from my teenage kids.
    It's one of the best things I have ever done! I strongly advise that you give it a go.

Local gym rates are excellent - €7 per week

I lost serious bodyfat even though I gained over 20lbs of meat.
    I supplement, and eat well but have hit a slow stage - anyone else got any advice?

Gains tend to slow down around the 18-24 months mark, post up current diet and weight training program and we might be able to make some suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Kenny Gofuk

I tend to follow the Kris Gethin 12-Week Daily Trainer plans

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer-week-1-day-1.html

-as I have found it to have worked for me up to now.

I try to get in three workout days per week and cover area workouts in cycles such as

Monday - Chest & Triceps
    Wednesday - Back/Biceps
    Friday - Shoulders

I do not give any time to the abs or leg work also my warm ups only tend to be 5 mins max of crosstrainer
    or rowing machine.

Diet?

I supplement- whey protein approx 120 - 150 grams a day + 1 scoop creatine a day ( I weigh 14 stone now )
    Pre workout stak of Animal Nutrition (which I highly recommend)

Mornings tend to be a combination of 2 weetabix plus a cup of oats in milk

Lunch - Tuna or sliced beef

Dinner - any one of the following Chicken steak pork fish

Downfall would be diet I guess - I like an odd bottled beer also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer-week-1-day-1.html

Didn't understand much of that. Seems a bit advanced like. Loads written on here about training to failure. I can't see the benefit. But as I said, I didn't understand much of it.

Training to failure is just a barrier to recovery IMO. Stops you training more often, stops you recovering faster and so impedes progress (without advanced chemical help).

squod wrote: »

Training to failure is just a barrier to recovery IMO.

You said it brother! Failure comes quick and fast when your my age - was IMO thinking that all this supplement crack was a waste of money.

There is a lot of crap out there ( might as well munch a bag of coal and hope for the best) :rolleyes:

A friend told me try optimum nutrition brand and in fairness it has given me an edge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

You said it brother! Failure comes quick and fast when your my age - was IMO thinking that all this supplement crack was a waste of money.

There is a lot of crap out there ( might as well munch a bag of coal and hope for the best) :rolleyes:

A friend told me try optimum nutrition brand and in fairness it has given me an edge

I'm probably older than you. What's holding me back is my ability to breath at this stage. ON gold standard is what I'm on too. Glucosamine and cod liver oil and a multivit.

You could post up a fitness log and get help along the way. Good luck.

• Advertisement

I'm hiting 45 shortly. Stick with it... any kind of exercise has got to be better than none at all.
    If your using free weights (barbells or dumb bells) go for lighter weight and more reps.
    Maybe you could give a swim a go? It's meant to be a great form of keeping fit.
    Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Danye

I'm a big fan of Dan John and I remember reading this piece and thinking it was good and made a lot of sense.

Might be of some use to you two gentlemen :)

http://danjohn.net/2012/05/training-for-middle-age-and-beyond/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

I try to get in three workout days per week and cover area workouts in cycles such as

Monday - Chest & Triceps
    Wednesday - Back/Biceps
    Friday - Shoulders

I do not give any time to the abs or leg work also my warm ups only tend to be 5 mins max of crosstrainer
    or rowing machine.

No leg work, your seriously missing out, unless you have a serious injury have someone teach you how to front squat, back squat and deadlift. This done right will kick you on again big time.
    Change program to wendler 5\3\1, do a few METCONs, refine diet and you’ll start to burn and lean again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭Dave 101

-as I have found it to have worked for me up to now.

Monday - Chest & Triceps
    Wednesday - Back/Biceps
    Friday - Shoulders

or rowing machine.

Diet?

I supplement- whey protein approx 120 - 150 grams a day + 1 scoop creatine a day ( I weigh 14 stone now )
    Pre workout stak of Animal Nutrition (which I highly recommend)

Mornings tend to be a combination of 2 weetabix plus a cup of oats in milk

Lunch - Tuna or sliced beef

Dinner - any one of the following Chicken steak pork fish

Downfall would be diet I guess - I like an odd bottled beer also

program aint too bad but add in the leg day, bit of cardio (15-20mins) 2-3 times a week after weights also, drop the weetibix and have more oats instead, add some fruit and veg (apples, berries, nuts etc, broccoli, spinach, carrots), couple of bottles the weekend at too bad just don't get hammered ;)

siochain wrote: »
    Change program to wendler 5\3\1, do a few METCONs

The wendler program looks good i must say - I will give it ago when my current program is over.

:o Also googled Metcons ( thought they was steroids :D ) Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I am a total novice at 49 yrs old. Have recently bought some dumbells and am using them at home. Is there some where I could get a guide online, what weights to start off with and any other useful info.

If you're someone in their later adult years, you may think it's too late to get active and take care of your health. This is not the case. Get active and feel better with the following program.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/over_40_beginner_program.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭maco12

What about a healthy heart?..cardio very important!, and I don't mean the swinging arm brigade out walking with their baseball caps and head phones!

I went to a seminar recently , and like all things, information is changing constantly, the Experts reckon 30 mins aerobics 3 times a week, and at least 70%max heart rate
    Weight training very good for bone density, as you get older, men and women lose bone mass, and as for creatine, its getting bad press the last year or so, due to adverse affects on the kidneys, a few rugby players of international standard, have made their concerns noted.
    Just eat healthy, and cod liver oil is excellent..and keep it simple!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

maco12 wrote: »
    What about a healthy heart?..cardio very important!, and I don't mean the swinging arm brigade out walking with their baseball caps and head phones!

I went to a seminar recently , and like all things, information is changing constantly, the Experts reckon 30 mins aerobics 3 times a week, and at least 70%max heart rate
    Weight training very good for bone density, as you get older, men and women lose bone mass, and as for creatine, its getting bad press the last year or so, due to adverse affects on the kidneys, a few rugby players of international standard, have made their concerns noted.
    Just eat healthy, and cod liver oil is excellent..and keep it simple!

Creatine, post up the studies and rugby reports?

If anything the latest studies are showing even more benifits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

maco12 wrote: »
    and as for creatine, its getting bad press the last year or so, due to adverse affects on the kidneys, a few rugby players of international standard, have made their concerns noted.
    Since when do rugby players have medical training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Frogdog

Mellor wrote: »
    Since when do rugby players have medical training?

Not agreeing with the initial point raised, but in answer to your question - isn't Felipe Contepomi (sp?) a doctor now?

Edit: and Jamie Roberts, the Welsh centre.

Advertisement