Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 8), Apr 12-16, 2013

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

dreamers75 wrote: »
    lads any tips for tonight?

Be mean if you dont share them.

To be fair, the peno was in the 90th minute. If the lads placed a bet and waited until the 90th minute to achieve the outcome they have some balls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

PP have apparently paid out now. Considering they give some stupid odds each week due to their lack of knowledge of the LOI it's no surprise they get taken to the cleaners every now and then

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Forrester puts pats 1-0 up, good man Chris :)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

4-0 at Richer. Shelbourne are an absolute joke at this stage. How in the hell is Matthews allowed sit in that dug out. If Shels had fans, they'd lift him out of it.

Ah remember Depor....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Off the bottom! Huzzah!

Omackeral wrote: »
    4-0 at Richer. Shelbourne are an absolute joke at this stage. How in the hell is Matthews allowed sit in that dug out. If Shels had fans, they'd lift him out of it.

Ah remember Depor....

Our board are crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Mods, please feel free to move this question to the Quiz-thread...

What will happen first? Shels winning a match or ice skating in the Sahara Desert?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Two big bottom of the table matches coming up, if I'm right. Bray & UCD?

oldyouth wrote: »
    Two big bottom of the table matches coming up, if I'm right. Bray & UCD?

3 games away yeah. If Matthews is in charge UCD will probably bring more to Tolka than us. I'm not going back til he is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Can see why shels have so many cards. Every tackle they are flying into and some were very late.

Shels were ok for about 40 minutes after we scored could have been 7 or 8. Think we still have a bit to go before we hit form but heading int he right direction.

• Advertisement

Lars1916 wrote: »
    It's not all about fitness, imo. No real communication between midfield and attack, the defense goes all over the place, once Shels concede a goal, no patience, just hoofing the ball towards Philly Hughes,,,

It needs someone with motivation skills, someone who is able to build up the player's confidence.

@dreamers75: Sometimes I am really scared about all the wisdom I have, I think, I'm a clairvoyant ;)

Why was Burdon dropped for shels? Thought he was playing well.

Injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

The only point we have this year was pure luck too. Farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Ah remember Depor....

Mathews is allowed sit in the dug out because the club can't pay him off, simple as. We'll leave the smashing of players/management cars to the Rovers fans, cheers!
    Can see why shels have so many cards. Every tackle they are flying into and some were very late.

Shels were ok for about 40 minutes after we scored could have been 7 or 8. Think we still have a bit to go before we hit form but heading int he right direction.

A few culprits to the heavy tackles, mainly because they're being caught out so much. Memery is just a hard tackler in general, even at College level.

Hamstring injury against Sligo, was out last week and this week.
    SantryRed wrote: »
    The only point we have this year was pure luck too. Farce.

We need all the luck we can get!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Do Shels know they can only play Rovers twice more...they need other points too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

CSF wrote: »
    3 games away yeah. If Matthews is in charge UCD will probably bring more to Tolka than us. I'm not going back til he is gone.

Harsh imo. The players hardly warrant that.

I'm doing a bedsheet and black paint job for the next home game.

If Shels had fans, they'd lift him out of it.

Already have been, three home games in a row I've let him know my feelings, from pretty close up behind the dugout - he has seen me and heard me. On Friday at the Drogheda game there was a "We want Matthews Out" from the New Stand at the end too. They also joined in with the "Getting sacked in the morning" chant from the Drogheda fans.

I also told two Board members to get him out, for all the good that will do.

Harsh imo. The players hardly warrant that.

Don't even care at this stage, I've slept on it, and for once I'm 100% sure that I'm not going near another Shels game while he is in charge.

dfx- wrote: »
    Do Shels know they can only play Rovers twice more...they need other points too

Maybe Shels have a minimal chance to grab one or two points against three other teams: 1. UCD, 2. The Students, 3. University College of Dublin

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Already have been, three home games in a row I've let him know my feelings, from pretty close up behind the dugout - he has seen me and heard me.

What age are you?

What age are you?

none of your business - but I'm not what you'd call a teenager.

Why? Are you going to tell me off again? Spare me. I pay into the ground, sameas anyone, I'm entitled to make my feelings known.

I suspect you already know who I am though, and have some ulterior motive to this line of questioning. So spare me your outrage, thanks very much.

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/irish/2013/0416/381636-mathews/
    Shelbourne manager Alan Mathews says his side’s performance against St Patrick’s Athletic at Richmond Park last night was ‘unacceptable’ and has apologised to the fans.

Trailing 1-0 at the break, Shels conceded three second-half goals to leave them rooted to the bottom of the Airtricity League Premier Division table with just one point after eight games.

Mathews told RTÉ Sport: “The second-half performance was just not acceptable. The disappointing thing – it’s the requirement of hunger, passion, desire that you want from a football team – that we didn’t show any of it in the second half. I’ve already apologised to the supporters for that – it was unacceptable.

“People play themselves into teams when they take chances that come their way, people also play themselves out of teams, but if we were looking at it there, there isn’t one player that can justify his selection for the next game.

“We won’t tolerate that, we’ll try and fix this. We’ll get kids in, from the under-19 team, we’ll do it because you can lose matches the right way, we didn’t lose that match the right way tonight.”

"I’ve already apologised to the supporters for that – it was unacceptable"

The Drumcondra club now face back-to-back trips to Munster, with Cork City and Limerick providing the opposition, and last night some of the supporters called for Mathews to resign.

“It is [dispiriting] but that’s part and parcel of football,” he said. “I’m long enough knocking around now. You don’t get too high and things are going well and you don’t get to low when things aren’t going well.

“What I am prepared to do is scrap and fight and make sure we stay in this division. This a good club and a lot of good people have worked very hard to get it into the Premier Division and we want to make sure we stay there.

“It’s a results game and we need to get wins and we need results to pop us up the table. We won’t get them if we play the way we did in the second half.

“First half, we were okay, we should have taken the lead and we didn’t. We conceded another soft goal but the nature of our second-half performance just wasn’t acceptable.”

:rolleyes:

the players aren't playing for you, then you bite the bullet, accept responsibility and fúck off out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

none of your business - but I'm not what you'd call a teenager.

Why? Are you going to tell me off again? Spare me. I pay into the ground, sameas anyone, I'm entitled to make my feelings known.

I suspect you already know who I am though, and have some ulterior motive to this line of questioning. So spare me your outrage, thanks very much.

:D

Peter Pan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Shells fans really showing that they really do not care about their "historied" club once the going gets tough.

Thick and thin and all that.

gimmick wrote: »
    Shells fans really showing that they really do not care about their "historied" club once the going gets tough.

How?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

I've two quick questions on the whole Matthews/Shels matter:

- Is it true that you guys have the lowest player budget in the division?

- What do you think would be a reasonable league placing given the club's financial clout?

I, for one, can see why Shels want Matthews gone, but I'd be interested to see what criteria people think he should be judged by.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

geeky wrote: »

Bohs' budget is lower anyway.

- What do you think would be a reasonable league placing given the club's financial clout?

I, for one, can see why Shels want Matthews gone, but I'd be interested to see what criteria people think he should be judged by.

He has signed a load of ****e for the budget we are on. I think Gav knows the exact figure but Bray, UCD, Bohs are definitely below it. We are absolutely putrid to watch and with no wins coming our way, you're going to lose fans as the season continues.

I would happily take 7th/8th in the league with the wage budget we could have, with the shocking team Matthews has brought together, I would happily take 10th with a win on the last day.

At tis stage it doesn't matter - to me it's obvious the players don't trust Matthews, and are not playing for him, for whatever reasons.

He also doesn't have a clue - his changes are bizarre and have little, or negative impact.

It just gets to a point with squads of players and clubs that ANY change is a good thing, once the poison starts to spread it's better to chop off the infected limb, than allow it to fester.

At this stage, it's better for Matthews to go than for him to stay. The arguments about a replacement, his budget atc are moot.

And yet we can still keep one running for 118 years. Doesn't say much for Cork fans.

• Advertisement

Ye are worse than Liverpool fans for going on about history. I should know. I am a part time Liverpool fan. Its the present and future that matters. And ye are shít at the moment and ye have no future.

Ye are worse than Liverpool fans for going on about history. I should know. I am a part time Liverpool fan. Its the present and future that matters. And ye are shít at the moment and ye have no future.

What are you on about with the present and future?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I have no idea what you're referring to, but our newly formed Supporters' Trust is going extremely well with new members signing up weekly, so it's clear people do care once the going gets tough. I also think the many years down in the graveyard was extremely "tough" but well, people still cared then.

I hope you're just WUMing tbh!

Doubt it's the lowest, it's between 3,000 and 4,000 a week (including expenses for the amateurs I'd assume), Bohs and UCD are probably lower, Brays is probably smaller too but Devlin sorts some players out with jobs.

Mathews told the players the aim was 4th place, he then mentioned it at our Fans' Forum that 4th place was realistic and doable if we kept players fit and unsuspended, both have happened but not for the large part. Majority of fan's thought he was deluded, he was the one who set the bar that high.

:confused:

You were referring to 'through thick and thin'. I was making the point that when the thin comes along in cork the club folds and they start a new 1. Not sure why you're now shifting the argument to whether we are good or ****.

Because ye are shít obviously.

Because ye are shít obviously.

And you have **** fans who can't keep a club going for very long at all. Not sure how much further this argument can actually go seeing as we pretty much agree on these 2 facts.

:)

Go back to reading your history books with your teary eyes about when times were great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Have a lot more respect for Shels than I do for Cork. I doubt I'm alone in that.

It's easy for ye to just create a new club when the going gets tough and pretend it's the same one. At least Shelbourne haven't bailed and are attempting to work through their problems..

Plus, Cork is sh*te. I hate going there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Have a lot more respect for Shels than I do for Cork. I doubt I'm alone in that.

It's easy for ye to just create a new club when the going gets tough and pretend it's the same one. At least Shelbourne haven't bailed and are attempting to work through their problems..

Plus, Cork is sh*te. I hate going there.

Woah. Bit harsh in response to just 1 Cork poster I think.

Also create one when the going gets tough? Shelbourne haven't bailed? Are you just putting different things together just because 1 post made you annoyed?

For the millionth time Cork City never ceased to exist as a football club. Even as a City fan, I'm bored of all this Cork-Shels stuff. It'd be much better if both clubs were challenging to be able to take the piss out of each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Corholio wrote: »

Also create one when the going gets tough? Shelbourne haven't bailed? Are you just putting different things together just because 1 post made you annoyed?

For the millionth time Cork City never ceased to exist as a football club. Even as a City fan, I'm bored of all this Cork-Shels stuff. It'd be much better if both clubs were challenging to be able to take the piss out of each other.

This

forrester.gif

sweet

Not loading for me, but is that the herald article? If so, heartbreaking. Pretty much cementing the fact that he will never get another club in LOI football.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Whats this about Shels fans not caring? as Gav said the trust is doing well, (I'll be signing up myself come my next pay cheque) and some of the newer fans are still there along with the old and the atmosphere at games is generally positive until the crowd are given a reason to start throwing stick at the manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

If Shels could have liquidated the club in 2006 I'm sure they would have.

Presume the mess left by Ollie in '06 is such that they would be giving up more by liquidating the club than from struggling taking their medicine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

For the millionth time Cork City never ceased to exist as a football club.
    Genuine question here - has Cork City Foras ceased to exist or have you just changed the name and crest back to Cork City 1984?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Just felt like WUM'ing a little myself :)

dan1895 wrote: »
    until the crowd are given a reason to start throwing stick at the manager.

The game kicks off? :pac:

Anyway, back to the football. Tough game for Bohs down in Limerick tonight, be happy to nick a point, but then again I suspect I'll be saying that a lot this season. Callaghan has changed the starting XI a good bit, hopefully means we'll be a bit more solid. Significantly, no Scully starting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'd be delighted with a point tonight.

Live commentary here: http://www.live95fm.info/extra/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Judging by this commentary we've started well.

• Advertisement

:)

Go back to reading your history books with your teary eyes about when times were great.
    Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

Advertisement