Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public to private consultation

Options
  • 10-04-2013 3:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I have a public consultation due in november and i may not actually be in the country on the date.

Is it possible to change from a public consult to a private one? And if so how do i go about setting this up? Call my GP? Or the hospital the Appointment is due in?

Also if i got a referral sent to a private consultate tomorrow for example, how long would it usually take to set up an appointment?

I have private insurance and i would like to get the problem sorted as soon as possible.

Im only told my GP i would go public in the first place because im terrible at decision making and rushed it.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

All you do is get a referral letter from your GP, then you ring up the Consultants Private Secretary and ask for an appointment - its really as simple as that. Private Consultants usually charge in the range of 120 to 200 euros. As to the waiting time, its impossible to comment, I am under a Private Orthopaedic Surgeon & a Neurosurgeon, and if I were to ring today I'd be waiting approx 2 weeks for the Ortho, but when I had a back problem last January, I rang the Neuro on a Monday and was seen on the Wednesday, yet my dad was seeing his Cardiologist recently and had to wait 5 weeks so every Consultant is different. Also the waiting time can be influenced by how many hospitals the Consultant works from, in theory he/she could be working from 2 different Private Clinics and waiting times could be different in each, so you'll have to do a bit of homework as to where your chosen consultant works from.....

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭lollpop

I've seen various consultants over the last few years and as spook_ie says, it just depends on the particular person. I've had waiting lists ranging from a couple of weeks to 5 months for private appointments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

As was said, you should go through our GP and get a referral. But, dont immediately assume that you should go with the first consultant that your GP suggests. Check a few things first.

1) Check the details of your Private health insurance. The consultation fee is likely to be between €150-180. Most PHI polices pay either 0 or €60 per visit, and some have a big excess before paying out on out-patient expenses. Check what your policy says. Anthing that our policy does not pay out, you can get 21% tax back on

2) If the medical issue is going to involve an operation or in-hospital procedure, Check the details of what private hospitals your policy covers and make sure that the consultant you go to works in one of those hospitals,

Advertisement