Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home insurance problems

Options
  • 10-04-2013 3:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I own a house with my ex girlfriend. she lives there with her new family. she cant get house insurance as she had 2 claims in the last 5 years. first one was in our joint policy, second on her own (as I didn't live anymore)
    question is could I get insurance for that house into my name as I only had 1 claim - but I do not live in the house - thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

LTG wrote: »
    Hi, I own a house with my ex girlfriend. she lives there with her new family. she cant get house insurance as she had 2 claims in the last 5 years. first one was in our joint policy, second on her own (as I didn't live anymore)
    question is could I get insurance for that house into my name as I only had 1 claim - but I do not live in the house - thanks
    Probably not. You would want to disclose that information as it is clearly materially relevant. You could try for insurance with a high excess and/or excluding various perils. Perhaps your best bet is now an insurance broker. Were all 3 claims for the same property? What were they for?

Edit: Leaving it without insurance should not be considered and will likely be in contravention of your mortgage agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I agree with what Murphaph says. However, I would add that you cannot insure for more than your financial interest in the property, solely in your name. If you own the house equally, you need to insure it in joint names. This brings you back to your original problem.

If a broker cannot get you cover, contact the Irish Insurance Federation for assistance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

LTG wrote: »

If the house has had 2 claims then so have you. As you have been a part owner throughout then the claims on the property are against your interest also and you would have to disclose them. If you make a claim an insurance company will do an insurance link check and the previous claims will come up.

oldyouth wrote: »
    I agree with what Murphaph says. However, I would add that you cannot insure for more than your financial interest in the property

Not strictly true. You can insure any property once you have a legal interest in the peoperty. You are fully entitled to insure a house for full value to protect your interest in your own name, not mutch point in insuring half a house value if it burned down and you only have half the cost of repair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I disagree, the exception being a husband/wife situation

• Advertisement

oldyouth wrote: »
    I disagree, the exception being a husband/wife situation

Based on what?

How also is an insurance company in any way in a position to know who owns a property? Remembering that at present even the government dont know who owns property in ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Normally you are asked "Have you or any of your family living at the address to be insured had a claim over €x in the last y years?". The OP is in any case obliged to disclose the situation wrt his ex and her claims at the address as it clearly materially affects the proposal for insurance. He knows about the claims and not informing the prospective company could leave him high and dry come a serious claim. Insurance companies do what they can to avoid paying out. This sort of stuff is cut and dry for them.

Some companies (Zurich) for example have a threshold (in Zurich's case it's €900 I think) that you can ignore when filling out the proposal form, so the level of claim is also relevant here. A broker would be best advised how to get the property insured IMO.

Advertisement