Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail - Yellow Line Recorded Messages

• 10-04-2013 4:03am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭

On the Cork line some stops they have a man saying "Please stand back behined the yellow line, train now approching. On Galway line they have a UK recorded message "Customers are reminded to stand behind the yellow line". On the Waterford line and others they have nothing at all. Now why have they two differnent recordings and shouildn't this safety message be played at all stations?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

1st world problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

more to th point, what will they do on the luas if ever they have a Yellow Line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I lived about 300 yards from Clongriffin station a while back. That recorded message "Please stand behind the yellow line, train now approaching" with the upward inflection at the end like it was asking a question used to play at all random times even when no train was due for a long time. I could hear it play out all night after the last ESM DART passed at 00:15. I could hear it at 2 and 3 am on very quiet nights, it did my head in. It used to go off up to 10 times an hour in the middle of the night when there was nothing on the network. Glad I moved from there.

Say nothing and let Darwin sort them out. If you have no sense to stand a few feet back from a platform edge at all times you should not be let out of the house. How people did not fall in front of trains more often before PA systems I'll never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

could that be down to the factor that line speeds would be slower on the waterford line, the cork train and various intercity services anytime i have been waiting at kildare/newbridge pass at high speed so its required...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

davidlacey wrote: »
    could that be down to the factor that line speeds would be slower on the waterford line, the cork train and various intercity services anytime i have been waiting at kildare/newbridge pass at high speed so its required...

No and I wouldn't say 60mph through some stations is slow as that Cork line has that for most stations. They are announced when the train is stopping to. I'm not going on about the Waterford line but just why dosn't it happen accross the board. Safety is safety wherever it is and reguardless of how busy the station is. It accross the UK and here should be the same.

Sombody could get hit by a train at any speed. It wouldn't cost much if anything. At Kilkenny there is always people at the edge of the platform when the train is coming and in most cases the driver has to break or blow the horn even when its just about to stop.

I lived about 300 yards from Clongriffin station a while back. That recorded message "Please stand behind the yellow line, train now approaching" with the upward inflection at the end like it was asking a question
    The reason it sounds like that is because it's edited. I remember I was in Cherry Orchard station in the very early days (around 1994 or so), and the same voice said "Please stand back behind the yellow line, train now approaching platform 1" (or 2, depending).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I prefered the olden day when some lad in the station would come on the intercom....
    "Train now arriving on platform 1 is the 1500 from galway serving claratullamoreportarlingtonkildarenewbridge
    ... and heuston station.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    No and I wouldn't say 60mph through some stations is slow as that Cork line has that for most stations. They are announced when the train is stopping to. I'm not going on about the Waterford line but just why dosn't it happen accross the board. Safety is safety wherever it is and reguardless of how busy the station is. It accross the UK and here should be the same.

Sombody could get hit by a train at any speed. It wouldn't cost much if anything. At Kilkenny there is always people at the edge of the platform when the train is coming and in most cases the driver has to break or blow the horn even when its just about to stop.

Most of the station PA's are automatic and linked up to CTC. Chances are that the stations on the Waterford line have yet to be hooked up to it yet.

I prefered the olden day when some lad in the station would come on the intercom....
    "Train now arriving on platform 1 is the 1500 from galway serving claratullamoreportarlingtonkildarenewbridge
    ... and heuston station.

It's still like that in Mallow. I remember one time many moons ago when I got off the Cork train on platform 1 and was going across to the Tralee train on platform 3 when the announcer just said "Passengers for Kerry, please cross the footbridge to platform 3". What if you were going to Banteer or Millstreet? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Karsini wrote: »
    It's still like that in Mallow. I remember one time many moons ago when I got off the Cork train on platform 1 and was going across to the Tralee train on platform 3 when the announcer just said "Passengers for Kerry, please cross the footbridge to platform 3". What if you were going to Banteer or Millstreet? :D

That still happens on Waterford line but well before the train arrives and mainly if its crossing with another service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

Karsini wrote: »

It is presumed to be understood that the 'Kerry' train serves 2 Co Cork stations. Shock-horror.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Similar situation in Athlone; passengers for the Mayo line please change here, despite it calling at Roscommon stations. I think people know what they mean!

I did say it as a joke in fairness. :)

Advertisement