Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving circuit box off partition wall in apartment - ESB?

Options
  • 10-04-2013 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi Guys,

I want to move the fuse box in my apartment from a partition wall to another structural wall (to then eventually remove the partition wall). A guy at work reckons that I cant just ask an electrician to move it... I need to ask the ESB! Is that the case?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭rob w

If it involves moving an esb meter or other esb equipment then you will need to get the esb to move it. If it is only your consumer unit, a competent, qualified and registered electrician can do the job for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jogoeire

Hey!! Thanks for your reply :)

We'll... the meter isnt in the same area... thats in the outside hall in a press with all the other apartment meters. In my apartment its just the box thingey (technical term there) with all the fuse switches on it. I guess that the consumer unit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

The cable supplying the consumer unit from the meter will likely need to be amended or replaced if it won't reach the new position, although I wouldn't imagine replacing would be too handy in apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭rob w

Bruthal wrote: »
    The cable supplying the consumer unit from the meter will likely need to be amended or replaced if it won't reach the new position, although I wouldn't imagine replacing would be too handy in apartments.

Thats true if the cable needs to be replaced, all depends on the wiring/how far you need to move it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

An electrician can do this work.

However it's not just a case of moving the DB as all the cables will more than likely need to be extended or new cables ran in. It may be a case where you're just turning the board off the stud wall onto an outside wall so you may get away with it.

If the meter is off in another part of the house and there will be no need to interfere with or move the meter there's no need to call out the ESB.

• Advertisement
Advertisement