Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A good day to tri hard

Options
  • 10-04-2013 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭

I've decided to set myself the hopefully achievable goal of doing a few triathlons this summer, with a view to losing some weight and increasing my overall fitness. I've entered for the sprint distance at Valentia on 11/05/13, and i'd hope to do Monkstown on 15/06/13, Kinsale on 20/07/13, and finally round out the summer by doing the Hardman Olympic Distance in Killarney on 24/08/13.

I'm currently tipping the scales at a chunky 191 pounds and 5'6 in height.

I did the King of the Hill in Kinsale last august, and had managed to get my weight down to a more streamlined 170lbs. like many, I had the best of intentions to keep the training up, however i soon regressed into old habits and saw the weight creep on again.

I initially started training back at the start of march, but a niggling back injury put paid to my ambitions for the best part of a month. I'm finding it hard to keep motivated as time grows closer so I've decided to post on here to keep myself honest. Hopefully the goals i've set are achievable. (we're also expecting our second baby in June, but my ever supportive wife has given me the greenlight to take whatever time i need to take)

My activity so far has been as follows:

Monday : 1km total swim, 200m warmup, then 3 x 200m followed by 200m cooldown - this was the furthest I'd swam in a while, definitely still feeling the burn in my shoulders today (wednesday)

Tuesday : 2 mile run at a very slow pace (10min / mile) to try and prevent any re-occurence of my back injury. I felt good all the way round, have slight stiffness in my thighs today but nothing severe at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Wednesday night was a rest night so I hit the sack at 10:30 - early for me, normally it'd be midnight but was feeling a bit tired so I figured i'd make the most of it. Quads feeling a little achey this morning, same for my shoulders. 50mins on the bike now this evening so I reckon it'll be an early one again after that.

Absolutely lashing rain last night so made my way to the gym for 50 of the most boring minutes ever spinning away on the exercise bike. TV's were broken as well to add to the misery. managed to get through it though, and felt surprisingly ok afterwards, I was expecting to be in a bit of a heap as my legs were quite tired to begin with.

Friday night was 1k in the pool, 5x200m, was wrecked at the end after a long week at work, got an early night that definitely stood me well for this morningss brick of 40mins on the bike and 20 on foot.

Feel like I could eat a horse now though.!

Tonights swim went pretty good, the mind tends to wander a bit so I find it hard to keep track of the count. Its good to let your head clear of all he work related rubbish though. Hope the weather pick up for tomorrows run, its not cold but the wind is brutal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

If it is windy then just take you time and try not to worry about pace too much. It's a good bit tougher running in the wind so you'll be working hard even if the pace is slow. Getting through it's the main thing.

• Advertisement

Turns out the wind wasn't an issue at all after, however the cold weather up until now had me lulled into wearing more gear than was needed. Who would have thought that a seven degree jump from 3 to 10 would have made such a difference? Not me apparently, so I ended up completing everything after the first mile swearing like a lunatic. Ah well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Turns out the wind wasn't an issue at all after, however the cold weather up until now had me lulled into wearing more gear than was needed. Who would have thought that a seven degree jump from 3 to 10 would have made such a difference? Not me apparently, so I ended up completing everything after the first mile swearing like a lunatic. Ah well.

Most people just sweat a bit when they get too warm, never heard of anyone swearing because of the heat. Sure you dont have tourettes? :D

Haha, excellent spot! Feckin auto correct (or my fat fingers)

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭banner_phoenix

Good luck with the log and goals

Good luck with the log and goals

Cheers for that!

130 km per hour winds and a promise of a roast turkey dinner saw me skip tonight's cycle, have to make it up tomorrow (swapping around rest days)

• Advertisement

Bit of a delay on the update,

went for a run on Friday night, lovely warm evening, work finished for the week, plenty other uplifting things.....

still had to drag myself around like a man who'd lost the will to live, reckon it was purely down to the fact that it'd been a mental week at work before that. On the upside, i did manage to stand tall and stride long past the long Q of cars waiting to get onto the roundabout (small town, so at least anyone who saw me thought I was going strong lol).

Saturday was raining so I considered moving my day off, however a trip to the local indoor play area and 2 hours with screaming kids left me needing to get a bit of fresh air. 15 minutes into the ride, the rain stopped and the rest of the spin was really enjoyable. Got off the bike feeling thoroughly refreshed and felt like I could easily have done the 40K again.

Sunday - Rest - feeling slightly tender in the quads, but good otherwise.

Monday - seems like my earlier freshness was a ruse by my body, plenty aches in my legs, stairs are particularly sadistic.

Tuesday Morning - feel better again - thank christ - swim this evening now so that'll give the legs a chance to recover completely.

Advertisement