Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Wireless Adapter and UPC

Options
  • 10-04-2013 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I have Eircom 24mb at the mintue, and I have the Xbox hardlined to the router. However, UPC 50mb is coming today, and the place where the router will have to go won't be near the Xbox.

So, I was thinking of buying a wireless network adapter for it.

Are they good? I mean 50mb is a great speed, would it be just as good over the wireless? Also, should I go with Xbox's one or is there any cheaper alternatives?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Creasy_bear

chops018 wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have Eircom 24mb at the mintue, and I have the Xbox hardlined to the router. However, UPC 50mb is coming today, and the place where the router will have to go won't be near the Xbox.

So, I was thinking of buying a wireless network adapter for it.

Are they good? I mean 50mb is a great speed, would it be just as good over the wireless? Also, should I go with Xbox's one or is there any cheaper alternatives?

Have the router moved to your room

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭chops018

Have the router moved to your room

How? Doesn't it have to be near the UPC thing?

Also, have you experience with the wireless adapter on such speeds?

They'll put the router wherever you want it. They just run a cable into the room. It doesn't work like eircom (through the phone line)

Edit - sorry I thought you were getting UPC for the first time!! You can pay 60 and have the UPC box/router moved to your room

It depends on how far away your xbox is from the router. If you can at all, have it hard wired.

They'll put the router wherever you want it. They just run a cable into the room. It doesn't work like eircom (through the phone line)

Edit - sorry I thought you were getting UPC for the first time!! You can pay 60 and have the UPC box/router moved to your room

No I have the TV already, and they are just dropping the stuff off and it will be self install.
    It depends on how far away your xbox is from the router. If you can at all, have it hard wired.

The Xbox will be in my room upstairs, nearly directly over the room the router will be in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

I have the wireless adapter and have no problems. Not sure the exact speed as it was changed 2 weeks ago but i'l find out. I dont know if you will get the full capability of the 50mg. I have no problems playing games and notice no performance issue from when I used to have my internet wired to my Xbox.

I would make sure to get the double antenna adapter as I heard the single wasn't as good and got quiet hot, not sure about the validity of that story tbh, double antenna adapter works great for me though. My Xbox and router are on the same floor however, but in totally separate rooms.

Hope that helps.

BGozIE wrote: »
    I have the wireless adapter and have no problems. Not sure the exact speed as it was changed 2 weeks ago but i'l find out. I dont know if you will get the full capability of the 50mg. I have no problems playing games and notice no performance issue from when I used to have my internet wired to my Xbox.

I would make sure to get the double antenna adapter as I heard the single wasn't as good and got quiet hot, not sure about the validity of that story tbh, double antenna adapter works great for me though. My Xbox and router are on the same floor however, but in totally separate rooms.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I noticed the speeds have been varying. I seem to be going from 45mb one min to 25 another min. Not bothering me though as eircom was only giving me around 12mb.

To be honest, I don't want to be running cables throughout the house, so I think the wireless adapter is the best option. I just wanted to make sure there was no huge lag or anything like that.

I'll try get the one with the two antenna's to be safe (if I can).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Why not use those powerline adapter things? I generally avoid using wireless for consoles if I can

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Minatauro

Hi why dont you get these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyxel-500Mbps-Slimline-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B00814J2O2/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365618481&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=zytel+homeplugs

As somebody i know had the same problem and these sorted it. They can be used wherever you have a plug meanng they are more portable around the house and you have a good wired connection.

Minatauro wrote: »
    Hi why dont you get these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyxel-500Mbps-Slimline-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B00814J2O2/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1365618481&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=zytel+homeplugs

As somebody i know had the same problem and these sorted it. They can be used wherever you have a plug meanng they are more portable around the house and you have a good wired connection.

Yeah I was thinking that, but then I've to drag an ehternet cable all across the house. Or am I misunderstanding how that's used?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yeah I was thinking that, but then I've to drag an ehternet cable all across the house. Or am I misunderstanding how that's used?

No you plug one into a power socket near where the router is & connect them up via Lan cable. Then connect the other up to a socket near where the console is & use another lan cable to connect those. The signal gets sent over the power cables in your house from one adapter to the other

no you dont need to drag wires anywhere.

step 1.) put plug in socket beside modem
    2.)put ethernet cable from modem into plug
    3.) Go to whatever room xbox is in and put second pug in socket beside the xbox
    4.) connect second ethernet cable from xbox to plug.

it works over the electrical wiring in your house so you can move the second plug around the house and you will have wired broadband wherever you want.

EnterNow wrote: »
    No you plug one into a power socket near where the router is & connect them up via Lan cable. Then connect the other up to a socket near where the console is & use another lan cable to connect those. The signal gets sent over the power cables in your house from one adapter to the other
    Minatauro wrote: »
    no you dont need to drag wires anywhere.

step 1.) put plug in socket beside modem
    2.)put ethernet cable from modem into plug
    3.) Go to whatever room xbox is in and put second pug in socket beside the xbox
    4.) connect second ethernet cable from xbox to plug.

it works over the electrical wiring in your house so you can move the second plug around the house and you will have wired broadband wherever you want.

Thanks guys. Might be the best option so, just the same as being hard lined it seems.

I had an idea I wasn't understanding it properly.

One final question: can you get these in any shops? Or do I have to order online, I don't mind ordering online but I would prefer to buy it myself in PCWorld or somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Thanks guys. Might be the best option so, just the same as being hard lined it seems.

I had an idea I wasn't understanding it properly.

One final question: can you get these in any shops? Or do I have to order online, I don't mind ordering online but I would prefer to buy it myself in PCWorld or somewhere.

They have them (as would Maplins etc), probably more expensive though.

Yeah buying in a shop is nearly always dearer. As you saw from that example its only 200mb but twice the price of the 500 mb i linked. I would recommend amazon as they also have the free delivery on these.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There is actually nothing wrong with the Wireless adaptor on the xbox. If its the easiest solution for you OP then buy one. Alternately run some Cat to the box.

I wouldnt stress over it. I had wireless to my UPC in my last apartment never had an ounce of trouble.

Advertisement