Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Info on English marriage 1870

• 10-04-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭

Having found on FamilySearch my great great grandparents marriage in England, Cheshire non conformist records and also his baptism when he converted to the catholic church a year after marriage I was wondering would it be worthwhile applying for the marriage cert as the records I can see give me his parents name, will a copy of the cert give me any further information.

I dont have his exact year of birth as his age is different on the 1901 and 1911 Irish census but I do have his place of birth from the 1901. Our surname was very common so it is hard to narrow his family down, So would their marriage cert help help identifing his parents. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

English civil certs for that time are the same as ours - so father's name and occupation on a marriage cert, no mention of mothers

(from what I've seen more likely to get an actual age on English marriage certs, rather than the 'full age' often listed on Irish certs)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

If you have his parents names then it shouldn't be too difficult to find their marriage on the freebmd site (depending on how common the names are of course). I'd try to find them all in the 1880 census and based on the age of the oldest child take a guess at when they got married to narrow the search.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭cpb

Thank you for the advice. I tried Free reg and found a marriage matching my great great grandfathers parents name and also tried free cen and found his family on the 1861 census, the names match as does the birth place of my
    3x grand father.

No sign of the family on free cen for the 1871 census will keep searching. Thanks again.

Attached is a scan from free reg of what I think is my 3x Grandparents marriage as there is no details of parents on it

1: Will it be a waste of time applying for the offical marriage as it wont have any further info.
    2. Is that an end to online research any records after that will be guess work?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

that marriage is 1833 - so you dont have the option of a civil cert. (civil registration started mid 1837 in England/Wales)

English parish records of marriages before this date would not usually show father's name.

• Advertisement

cpb wrote: »
    2. Is that an end to online research any records after that will be guess work?

Perhaps not but it won't be as easy as entering names and dates into a Genealogy site and getting results.

I think you need to not just focus on your 3 x grandparents but also build up a picture of all of their siblings as well. It's possible that George's fathers' name is on a document that may be linked to a sibling of George (land registry and property deeds for example).

Something to check though are all the census returns for George and Mary-Ann and seem if you spot any in-laws staying with them or grandkids staying with their grandparents.

A trip to Atherington might be nice, seems like there were a lot of Beers there in the past...

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ukdevon/AtheringtonMIs.htm

Thanks for the replies. I did find on freecen in 1861 a family that had a George and Mary Ann as head and wife but were now living in Berrynarbor Devon (see attached) I presume this is them. From that I see that George was born approx 1809. With out his parents names I am only guessing but

From Freereg there are two Baptisms in St Mary Atherington

09/10/1808 George Beer, father James, mother Elizabeth
    11/08/1811 George Beer, father John, mother Susanna

As you can see its only guessing but that where I am at.

Yeah, the couple in Berrynarbor look like them. Can you see you're 2 x GGfather listed a one of their children?

edit : This looks like them in 1841 (places, ages and kids name match up; oldest kid was born in 1834, the year after their marriage, but here George is a Carpenter here and a Gamekeeper in 1851 so that needs watching)

Civil parish: Tawstock
    Registration district: Barnstaple

George Beer 30
    Mary Ann Beer 25

Betsey Beer 7
    Samuel Beer 3
    James Beer 1

Yes John aged 11 in 1861. Moved to Cheshire got married to an Irish girl and was baptised a catholic (that is how I was able to get his parents name)

Moved to Dublin during or after 1871 and shows up with his wife on the 1901 and 1911 census.

Re edit above, thanks for that, the James above must have died as they had a nine year old James in 1861 and neither of the first two children were living with them.

Advertisement