Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washingmachine Plug!

Options
  • 10-04-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

Have a rental, and tennant rang me sunday night, utility covered in smoke and the plug was smouldering. the plug was one of those sealed types, only option to change would be say fuse. I can only describe what could be called a bullett hole had melted on the outside back of the plug. No trip went, id say because she turned it off in time. My gut tells me 2 issues. a loose wire in plug, but i dont want to split the sealed plug open to check until the crew come out to diagnose, or elecectrical fault on machine. Any thoughts?.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

it's down to plug and/or socket

not machine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

it's down to plug and/or socket

not machine

I inspected socket. its perfect, no burn on smoldering there. so now its machine plug. I cant inspect the machine plug because its a sealed unit....thats whats bothering me...if it was a normal plug, 3 screws id take a look...defo couldnt be some sort of eletrical fault on machine back??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

not usually on 1 appliance anyhow

normally replace both as a precaution

dunno if you have a claim pending? you may have to wait

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

not usually on 1 appliance anyhow

normally replace both as a precaution

dunno if you have a claim pending? you may have to wait

No Claim, i am getting them out to look at it, incase its linked to some recall fault that i dont know about..lucky hosue wasnt burned down maybe..i wouldnt let it inside the house again incase....well tennant wont any way, dont blame them..they got a fright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Wouldn't matter what problem a machine ever develops, a properly fused plug shouldnt have that problem except when plug and/or socket has a problem involving a bad contact or connection.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Most likely a poor connection between the socket and plug.
    Issues with either the plug or socket may not be easy to spot.

As suggested above, it would be best to replace both the socket and the plug regardless of how prefect they may look. Simply cut off the existing moulded plug and replace.

Advertisement