Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Second Body??

• 10-04-2013 1:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am looking to get a second body to go with a canon 5dmk3
    I was thinking of either another mk3 or the lighter smaller cheaper 6d or the 7d for its cropped sensor might be nice to have that extra zoom on the lens. What do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

why do you need a second body?
    don't forget that you can simulate the cropped sensor benefit by simply cropping the shot from the 5d. you'll lose about one third of the pixels in the process, which is not insignificant, but cheaper than another camera. and les weight to lug around.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

As a backup camera I assume, Id say 7D for the crop sensor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭steoc

I do the odd event and some times its a pain in the backside having to keep changing lenes.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The layout of the 7D is closer to the 5D3 than the 6D, with the exception of the daft image zooming on the 5D3.
    It also has a higher fps so makes it a good alternative to the full frame cameras in certain situations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

Personally, I'd go for something cheap and cheerful that you don't have to be too precious about, e.g second-hand 40d or 5d from Adverts.ie for 250-450 quid. Even a 550d because it's very light, cheap, and is still capable of stunning images.

If you're sure you want to spend the big bucks, I would choose a 6d over a 7d in a heartbeat. (unless you're doing sports/wildlife)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Alltherage

I think we're due a 7d mII sometime (Q4) this year. I imagine that'll depress the price on second hand 7d classics whenever it hits. (I have no idea if cannons Q4 runs into 2014 or not)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

A crop body is a good to compliment the full frame body, I would use a 5dmk1 and a 1dmk3 for weddings and each had its own good and bad points although the af on the 5dmk3 seems to be pretty good.

I may wait till canon release the new 7d before i make up my mind.
    As Borderfox says i too think a crop body would be a good complement to a full frame.
    I know ill seldom use it but there will be times that it will be of great advantage.
    I was always looking for a second body but buying new glass always piped the post.
    I am very tempted to by a canon 35m 1.4 or 85m 1.2 which i can get from a friend for 2k. But that will set me way back. Even typing about it i want to get the glass. Oh dear what too do :(

Simple, get the glass :)

Auuuaghhhh :)

• Advertisement

If there is a new 7d coming out hold off for this and get the glass now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 393 ✭✭Nerro

Borderfox wrote: »
    If there is a new 7d coming out hold off for this and get the glass now.
    well if you would believe the rumors it shoud be released late spring...and maybe its coincidence but there is quite a few 7D's poping up for sale on adverts.ie.maybe someone knows more?

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Farmlife

I have a 5dii and 7d which work great for me, the 6d along with being full frame has the wifi built in, but for build quality and fps the 7d is great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

steoc wrote: »
    I am very tempted to by a canon 35m 1.4 or 85m 1.2
    The sigma 35mm 1.4 is said to be a better lens than the canon L. Canon one is about ten years old now.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dnphoto

5d mark ii are a good price now too, i've got mark iii and ii and 7d, gonna try sell 7d though, all great cameras

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

The 6D is a much newer camera than the 5Dii and the 7D so it's the one I'd go for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭Fireman

I also have the 5D MarkII and the 7D, its a great combination, The 7D is has very good FPS on raw and a lot more AF points then the 5D. The 7D is :Da great camera all round.

Advertisement