Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden Shed - Steel or Timber? Concrete floor or brick?

Options
  • 10-04-2013 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,726 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to put a largish shed in my garden to house:

- Bicycle
    - Garden tool
    - Workbench (for doing electronic soldering, etc)

As such, because of the workbench, it would probably need to be fairly dry and clean inside even when there's a storm outside.

I read that steel sheds don't necessarily "breathe", and leave condensation on the inside. Is this true?

Would a timber shed be more suitable for the purpose?

Also is it necessary to get a concrete floor in place to keep out damp?

Also, recommend somewhere in Dublin for buying said shed?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,726 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

No one?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Mrcheez

I'll PM you some suggestions later.

SB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

mrcheez wrote: »
    Hi all,

I want to put a largish shed in my garden to house:

- Bicycle
    - Garden tool
    - Workbench (for doing electronic soldering, etc)

As such, because of the workbench, it would probably need to be fairly dry and clean inside even when there's a storm outside.

I read that steel sheds don't necessarily "breathe", and leave condensation on the inside. Is this true?

Would a timber shed be more suitable for the purpose?

Also is it necessary to get a concrete floor in place to keep out damp?

Also, recommend somewhere in Dublin for buying said shed?

Thanks!

Ideal Home Show will be on next wekend in the RDS.

Free tickets can be had here....

http://www.idealhome.ie/free-ticket-registration/

You may get a show bargain there...with regards sheds.:)

Also any of the Plantagen Garden Centres (Malahide and Clonee) have small and large Adman Steel concrete and insulated metal sheds on display and sale there.

http://www.gardenworks.ie/

http://www.admansteelsheds.ie/

Might be worth a trip to either garden centre to have a look at them in the flesh.Some have roller shutter doors,some have small padestrian doors and double glazed windows in them.

There also 3 kitted out sheds on display in Malahide equiped with large work benches and potting tables,so you can see what sort of space you have to work with.

So shop around and haggle hard,dont just accept the 1st price you are given.

I went with block built in the end (thinking of long term plan) and with non drip tile effect roof cladding.6 inch thick concrete floor slab with rebar and also DPC membrane.Also installed Daltex FX membrane under the tile effect cladding aswell..for extra peace of mind

Fitted it out with twin ceiling lights,co ax cable for TV and 5 double sockets,oh and alarm system...just incase.

Sound.. perfect timing :)

I have some pics here on an SD card of the various sheds,so Il post them later on.

Just got the find the bloody SD card now.:pac::D

• Advertisement

Some pics of the Adman steel sheds.

Theres also a place called Timbertrove up at the foothills of the Dublin Mountains.

http://www.timbertrove.com/index.asp

They build and sell some fantastic sheds and have some good deals on at the moment.

Very sound and easy to deal with and they will haggle/do a good deal with you too....well they did with me before.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭DBIreland

paddy147 wrote: »
    I went with block built in the end (thinking of long term plan) and with non drip tile effect roof cladding.6 inch thick concrete floor slab with rebar and also DPC membrane.Also installed Daltex FX membrane under the tile effect cladding aswell..for extra peace of mind.

Paddy,
    Where did you get the tile effect roof cladding? How do you find it?
    I'm looking for slate effect cladding at the moment, did they have that too?

They build and sell some fantastic sheds and have some good deals on at the moment.

Thanks, are there any benefits of steel sheds over timber?

I'm seriously considering this one, though the 2nd photo you put up also interests me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Fitted it out with twin ceiling lights,co ax cable for TV and 5 double sockets,oh and alarm system...just incase.

In case what? Your Camera is robbed :D:D :pac::pac:

vicwatson wrote: »
    In case what? Your Camera is robbed :D:D :pac::pac:

Ah its nice to be able to watch a bit of TV when doing a few bits and bobs down back of garden in the shed.:D

• Advertisement

I'm seriously considering this one, though the 2nd photo you put up also interests me.

Well you would have to give timber shed a coat of wood preservative or wood paint every few years,to keep her looking well.

The steel ones are galvanized and externally dipped/coated and are very good with regards to the elements.The roofs on the steel Adman sheds are non drip roofs.

Some people like the steel look,others like the wood sheds.

Its all about what you like yourself.:)

Oh and thats a nice looking shed in your link too....looks well imo.:)

Herse the inside view of the shed from the 2nd pic.:)

Herse the inside view of the shed from the 2nd pic.:)

Looks nice .. any idea on price?

Also regarding steel vs timber, which one keeps out moisture the best? I hear steel has a lot of condensation issues?

Looks nice .. any idea on price?

Also regarding steel vs timber, which one keeps out moisture the best? I hear steel has a lot of condensation issues?

I dont know the prices....maybe have a look in the adman steel shed website.

You can deal with them directly,as far as I know.

Well if you want to keep out damp and moisture....you would need to line/insulate both a wooden and steel shed.

I think you specify for the steel sheds to be supplied lined/insulated from the factory...not 100% exact on that though.

Anyway...have a good look around..get prices off the various shops.

Haggle for best price.

No harm to mention best price to each shop and see who will undercut who to get your custom.

Dont forget the Ideal Home Show in the RDS next weekend too.;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Ah its nice to be able to watch a bit of TV when doing a few bits and bobs down back of garden in the shed.:D

Shed also known as doghouse:D

Advertisement