Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aquarium pumps / Oxygen for aeration

Options
  • 10-04-2013 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

So I was looking on ebay for diffuser stones and pumps, preferably a pump with a sterile filter to stop airborne nasties getting into my wort. Compressed O2 is another idea I was kicking around.

Anyone got any a) pump recommendations or b) good sources of compressed oxygen? Any thoughts on the merits of one over the other? I was thinking it could be possible to over-oxygenate wort with either method... I guess I need to do some homework, but any and all first-hand experiences would be great to read.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Get a drill & paint stirrer if you want to oxygenate the wort properly thats what i recommend .

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Compressed O2 is probably a bit over the top for regular brewing.

However for high gravity beers that you want to finish low (think strong belgian beer styles), it is recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joctcl

I cut the little hoop right off my plastic stirrer, it fits snugly into my drill now
    You can over aerate you beer also with the drill method:(

Advertisement