Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need a bit of lawn advice

• 10-04-2013 1:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I would be very grateful if anyone could give me a bit of advice. I have recently scarified my lawn. It's a big lawn and I hired a heavy-duty scarifier. I did a fairly thorough job and I now need to overseed it.

My question is should I fertilizes it before I put down the seed or after. Also what type of fertilizer should I use? At the moment all I can get I the shops is 3 in one feed weed and moss killer. I have enough autumn fertilizer in the garage that I never used to do the job would this be ok to use.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give. With rain on the way I want to get on with this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Personally I wouldn't fertilise till the seed takes, then it needs the boost to keep going.
    The autumn fertiliser should be low in nitrogen and so of less use. I used 18-6-12 from the coop last time I seeded and it worked well. Applied at a rate if 100kg to am acre of ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Thanks I appreciate that I was not sure whither low nitration would be a good or bad thing for the new seed. Do you thing its best to avoid the 3 in 1 stuff until the new seed is well established or can I use that for my first fertilizing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Generally if you read the packets they will say not to use on a new lawn. The new grass will be very tender and could burn with fertiliser. I'd leave it be for a few weeks after it sprouts, then maybe chance half strength for the first feed, and then step it up for the next feed about a month later. Or you could throw some compost around as a bit of topdressing. But for a large lawn that mightn't be practical.

Advertisement