Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been to Chez Azur restaurant?

Options
  • 10-04-2013 2:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭

Anyone been to Chez Azur restaurant on the docks yet? They show a web address on their print ads but it's not operational and their facebook page appears to have no info of note. Would be interested to see their menu.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

• Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Thanks, I did see those reviews but I trust Galway Boardsies more than TA! Plus the first glowing review is from someone who was invited to the opening night (e.g. friend/family/associate) so would naturally be predisposed to review it positively. In fact reading the first few lines of that review I was sure it must have been posted by the owners! They did say they were so impressed they booked to go back a few days later and would post again with more details and as they haven’t done so I wonder if it wasn’t quite so enjoyable when they had to pay for it ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd be fairly certain any TA reviews on somewhere open such a short time would from staff/friends/etc, well, most of them.

I haven't bene there but their place in Limerick is meant to be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭aw

Seaneh wrote: »
    I'd be fairly certain any TA reviews on somewhere open such a short time would from staff/friends/etc, well, most of them.

This.

A friend was there last Friday. Good food but a tad pricey was the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

They have a value menu which i think is 23.50, its basically starter of the day, fish/meat/veggie of the day and dessert of the day. Menu actually reads well but ya it looks pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 427 ✭✭45mhrc7evo1d3n

Seaneh wrote: »
    I haven't bene there but their place in Limerick is meant to be decent.

Thanks Seaneh, didn't know they had a place in Limerick. Looked at their website and the menu http://www.azurcafebrasserie.ie/menus.html is the standard fare. Nothing wrong with it, just nothing new so it's down to the ambience and service really. IMO the menu is fairly similar to Blakes Brasserie (on the Corner, not KC) where both the ambience and service are great. Of course the Azur Galway menu could be completely different - hopefully someone who's been there can enlighten us!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,158 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Thanks Seaneh, didn't know they had a place in Limerick. Looked at their website and the menu http://www.azurcafebrasserie.ie/menus.html is the standard fare. Nothing wrong with it, just nothing new so it's down to the ambience and service really. IMO the menu is fairly similar to Blakes Brasserie (on the Corner, not KC) where both the ambience and service are great. Of course the Azur Galway menu could be completely different - hopefully someone who's been there can enlighten us!
    Menu is very similar but there are some changes, seems to be more seafood on the Galway one i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They have a value menu which i think is 23.50, its basically starter of the day, fish/meat/veggie of the day and dessert of the day. Menu actually reads well but ya it looks pricey.

Appplies sun thru thurs.

I tried to get mr obumble to go there on friday, but he thought it was too flash.

Still hope to succeed during the summer ... the catch is that we usually eat out on friday cos thats payday.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

• Registered Users Posts: 1 samdickens

Hey folks, I went to Chez Azur Galway for dinner a few weeks ago, just to give feedback on my experience: For starters I had the seafood chowder which was creamy and filled with large chunks of fish. It was a bit too heavy for me and not that much flavour but the homemade bread was fresh, soft and sweet and not just the common soda or wholemeal which went down well for myself. My other half ordered the prawns with basil, mint and garlic which was a real surprise and I gobbled most of it down myself.

I was really looking forward to the main then, as I ordered the spiced salmon with mango and pineapple relish, but I'm sorry to say I was very disappointed as I had expected a burst of flavours but instead it was very bland, including the fish itself. My other half ordered the ribeye which was cooked medium-rare perfectly but we thought the price could have been a bit lower as there was nothing special about it really.

For dessert we shared a crème brûlée which was nice, but it could have been better still... we didn't stay for coffee though the atmosphere was chill and relaxing.

It wasn't busy when we dined so there wasn't much excuse for the lower standards, we left a tip for the waitress because she was polite and friendly but we noticed that a 4-seater table beside us got their mains first even though they came in half an hour after us. As an overall experience I'd recommend Chez Azure for a lunch-time-do to avail of the early-bird instead as the food doesn't live up to the price. Would I go again? Maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

An interesting first post.

I finally dragged Mr OB along a few weeks ago. Can't remember what we ate. I thought the food was fantastic - and there's a nice view over the docks and ambience in the place. He thought the portions were too small and "arty", but also enjoyed the view and the fact that Guinness is on tap.

Advertisement