Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donnycarney Trad Fest 2013 (mod approved)

Options
  • 10-04-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Due to a lack of real trad festivals in the capital we a planning a four day trad festival in the Dublin 5 area for the 13th to the 16th of June. All the pre planning is in place and the main event will be a Friends of Banjo Barney from Donnycarney on the Saturday Night.

Over the 4 days there will be multiple open sessions along with Irelands top trad bands playing every evening. We'll have band competitions, céilís(dancing at the crossroads), local and musical history talks and discussions and much much more.

As you are all probably well aware we lost one of our local heroes in Barney "banjo" McKenna this time last year and the Saturday night will be dedicated to the man himself and we will be joined by some of his friends and family members for an amazing night of celebration.

The full timetable of events will be launched next week and we've some great deals with local hotels for anyone interested in travelling for the festival.

The whole weekend will be completely free except for the main event on Saturday night which will have a small cover charge of €10.

As this is our first year running the event we would really appreciate as much advice and assistance that you could offer. Any suggestions will be greatly welcome.

Here is a link to our Facebook page and much more info will follow shortly

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Donnycarney-Traditional-Music-Festival-2013/148650488636246

So anyone interested in bringing their pipes or banjo or any other trad instrument along to a good old fashioned session please get in touch or just arrive on the day.

Thanks in advance for all the assistance and if there are any other sites or discussion forums you think might be interested please let me know and I'll throw the info up there as well.

Slán go fóill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Bluesriff

Sounds great and delighted this is actually going ahead!

One of the guys from our ballad band is a teacher in the Primary School in Donnycarney and mentioned that this was being considered.

We would be available and very interested in playing during this festival. Could you please PM me with the relevant contact details (email, phone etc.) so we can put our name forward.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭ryaner777

Thanks lads for all the great advice. Your PM' are greatly appreciated.

Even if you can't make it yourself, could you please like and share the facebook page to help us spread the word on the festival.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Donnycarney-Traditional-Music-Festival-2013/148650488636246

Twitter @donnycarneytrad

Remember everything over the 4 day is completely free except for the main event. The tickets for the main event on Saturday night look like they'll sell out pretty instantly as we are limited to approx 350. If anyone would like me to hold some for you please just drop me a pm. They're only a tenner.

Again thanks everyone for their support and encouragement.
    We do hope to make this an annual free festival and so a stong first year will make all the diofference.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 kevinjgraham

Hi,

Brilliant idea. If you're interested, Folk That, from Cavan would be glad to put in an appearance and I'll share on our Facebook page for the folks up here.

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 5 a360398

Just read the thread - great to hear of something like this happening in Donnycarney and especially to commemorate the late Banjo Barney. As Barney was a Baladeer and Folkster you should open it to invitations to Ballad and Folk Musicians also - not just Trad - Ballads and Folk are trad also and are often excluded from pure Trad. Anyway - the very best of luck and will get along myself as I only live down the road and will polish my best whistle up with brasso !!!

Hi a360398,

You'll be glad to know anyone with a bit of spirit is more than welcome to come and join in. No matter if its trad, ballad or folk. No one will be excluded. Glad to hear you'll be joining us and if you'd like a chance to take to the stage and give us one or two tunes just drop me a PM and I'll happily put you onto the line-up.

If not sure I'll see ye at the open sessions and we'll enjoy the classics played and sung by people that love every note.
    a360398 wrote: »
    Just read the thread - great to hear of something like this happening in Donnycarney and especially to commemorate the late Banjo Barney. As Barney was a Baladeer and Folkster you should open it to invitations to Ballad and Folk Musicians also - not just Trad - Ballads and Folk are trad also and are often excluded from pure Trad. Anyway - the very best of luck and will get along myself as I only live down the road and will polish my best whistle up with brasso !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭stinkbomb

pm sent

Just an update on the festival for anyone interested.

The official launch and line up will be announced at a press event this Friday at 3pm in Craobh Chiarain Gaa club, Parnell Park, Dublin 5.

If anyone wishes to attend they are more than welcome. The McKenna family will also be there and available for interview or just share some stories about barney's long and distinguished career.

I'll put the full line up here on Friday evening but just to let you know Sunday is shaping up as boards.ie day ! The majority of acts on the Sunday have got in touch through this forum. So if you'd like to come down and see your fellow boardies play a few tunes or even better if you'd like to join them please drop me a PM and I'll be in touch straight away.

Thanks Again

Dave

4lTMLbo.jpg

We will be featuring some amazing musicians including Donal Lunny & Andy Irvine, John Sheran and many more

fu3ona.jpg

• Advertisement

http://www.dublinsessions.ie/donnycarneytradfest.html

Some of the fesitval highlights here.

A great weekend was had by all and thanks again to everyone for their support. Especially some of the bands and musicians that got involved through boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 9,086 ✭✭✭squonk

It got a few mentions from the stage at the Doolin Festival. Glad you had a great weekend!

Advertisement