Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unsure about job appeal.

Options
  • 10-04-2013 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all in a bit of a quandary, my wife was appointed to an acting position within a firm.
    She went on maternity leave and has since expressed her desire to extend said leave for another 4 months unpaid. During this time her role has come up for permanency.

There are obviously prerequisites for the position, certain qualifications now the person who took over from her on her maternity leave has just been appointed to the position, she doesn't have the qualifications that were outlined in the job description, I believe she's been appointed as a result of my wife going on extended maternity leave and they need someone now, however this is unfair, also during the interview process she was asked about certain initiatives that were implemented whilst she was on leave (How the hell can she answer questions about processes that she had no clue existed)

I'm tempted of telling her to appeal the position, however it's a big firm and the HR department recruit for all divisions, if she appeals does she open herself up to be pigeonholed into her current role for the foreseeable future due to resentment.....

Please advice would be welcomed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP - this forum is more appropriate than PI.

Regards
    Taltos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

I don't see how it's unfair. Your wife still has her position to return to.

The firm couldn't wait 4 months for this new position to be filled, so they recruited someone who could start immediately.

She can of course appeal, but I'm not sure on what grounds. The qualifications on job specs are not set in stone, and if someone scores very highly elsewhere they can be set aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

She should ask for the reasons her application was unsuccesful first.
    This would be a standard question from unsuccesful applicants for an internal postion and should have no negative repurcusions.

See what the response is first and if it seems fair before going down an appeal route.

Qualifications are not the only criteria for making a hire. Companies will nearly always go for the person who they think will be most succesful in a role.While they make mistakes ,if you are overlooked for a promotion I would look inward first.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

So she's not up to date on the job she's applying for and the pick a person who is; I'm sorry but what part of that surprise you? Your wife has the right to come back to a position of same level; it does not in any way give her a right to walk into the same position if it is not open at the time nor does it give her the right to get that position because she held it on temporary basis before going on maternity leave. Oh and listed qualifications is very rarely followed up for positions; I've held positions that had listed 10+ years of specific type of working experience coming in as external recruit with zero years of that experience but could clearly show how I'd be an asset and be suitable for the position anyway.

Advertisement