Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Alarm System with IP Cam

Options
  • 10-04-2013 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭

I've read most of the stickies and pertinent threads here as i'm considering buying and self installing a Wireless system. From what i'm reading Visionic, HKC and Siemens are worth considering and I understand they all have their pros and cons.

What i'd like to know, is if these systems can output an alarm signal/trigger to an IP camera or DVR with an alarm input?

While i'm asking, given i'll be looking for a GSM module too - are there companies that will offer alarm monitoring on a self installed system, or do you have to get it verified before that can happen etc. Is self install lunacy?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most panels would be able to give an output to trigger an alarm input on a DVR. Your DVR could then send you an email if it has an SMTP server.
    For central station monitoring with Garda response you will need it connected by a licensed installer.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Ninjakettle

Oh good. There's an existing (if mostly useless) external IP cam already in the house. It was an all in one job with on board SD recording, SMTP, IR LEDs, motion detection etc - and it was a complete failure. Kept falling over for no reason and was useless in the dark. It's only there now as a means of viewing a live feed on a whim.

My priority would be alarm system first, but knowing I can later add in some indoor cams and hook them all up to a NVR that can be triggered, is something i'd like.

For budget reasons the visionic power master is looking attractive - though as mentioned in a few threads now, the shocks are not available yet, but i'm not in a major rush.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Remember with the Powermaster you have no access to view live the PiR cams. They are only for alarm verification.
    IP cameras on the Siemens would be the better option. They are viewable via the Apps as well. It would also give you lots more options to expand down the line.

Are the PIR cams you mention just for viewing? - Or is there an option for on board recording or connection to DVR/NVR?

They are for viewing in a central station who can in turn forward images etc.
    There is no end user access & no DVR facilities .
    This is aimed more so at the UK market where there is talk of users being fined for the police calling out to false alarms.

• Advertisement

If I do buy one of these systems and have them installed by a company - can you add modules to it yourself afterwards? I've heard about engineer codes etc. Will you always need to get another company to add stuff?

If you went totally DIY and bought the system yourself, do you get an engineer code?

Advertisement