Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBNA PPI

Options
  • 10-04-2013 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has any experience in getting ppi refunds from mbna ??? I don't know if Im entitled to anything but I rang a company in Dublin today and they are sending out a rep to talk to me... They don't charge if I don't get anything but charge nearly 30% plus VAT if I do, it seems a lot so I wonder does anyone know of anyone who does it a bit cheaper ??? Better in my pocket;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Don't bother, he'll be getting 30% for sending a letter:

http://www.irishtimes.com/blogs/pricewatch/2012/07/09/payment-protection-insurance-can-you-get-a-refund/
    If you think you have been mis-sold a payment protection insurance policy, you should take the following steps:

First and most obviously find out if you have a PPI policy. Check your statements to see if there are any deductions that you can’t explain. It may not be listed separately so it is also worth ringing your lender to ask.
    If you have one you will need to write to your lender asking for the following documents:
    A signed copy of any consent or application form
    A copy of all fact-find completed by the salesperson and all the contemporaneous file notes they may have taken at the time.
    Ask what the cost of the policy is and what total you have paid to date
    Ask for a copy of the PPI policy document you were sold and any explanatory notes

Address the letter to the compliance officer reporting to the Central Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭bnear

Thanks for that, I thought as much....will do it myself so...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

can you claim for closed accounts and how far back can you claim for does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

brightkane wrote: »
    can you claim for closed accounts and how far back can you claim for does anyone know?

5 years I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Hope it's okay to post here. I have had the same car provider for 14 years. Always pay bill in full every mont€h. From my records I have used my card for over €50k euro worht of purchases. This equates to about 400 in payments made to the card company. From whaat I can gather I cannot be oblidged to take out such a policy. Prolbem is I believe from "Statute of limitation". In that I can only claim back for the last 6 years, if at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Puzzled person

I'm in the same position with MBNA but got a letter saying i am not due a refund as they offered a cooling off period to cancel insurance in early days... yet I got a refund from Halifax bank of Scotland and Also Santander debenhams! Without any issues.
    !
    Don't know why MBNA can be different.. Be careful with the company offering help as most getting refund between two and four thousand euro from other credit card companies.. So don't give away a third of that unless there is no easier way!! Good luck and keep us posted

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I'm in the same position with MBNA but got a letter saying i am not due a refund as they offered a cooling off period to cancel insurance in early days... yet I got a refund from Halifax bank of Scotland and Also Santander debenhams! Without any issues.
    !
    Don't know why MBNA can be different.. Be careful with the company offering help as most getting refund between two and four thousand euro from other credit card companies.. So don't give away a third of that unless there is no easier way!! Good luck and keep us posted

they said the same thing to me, and that apparently their 'trained' staff discussed it with me when I applied over the phone...I didn't apply on the phone or speak to their 'trained' staff! I have passed the matter onto the ombudsman who requested a mediation meeting with them and me, they failed to respond to them, so the ombudsman is now investigating it! I too am receiving a refund from another institution, so it is worth passing it onto the financial ombudsman. I am pretty sure they have many complaints against them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Puzzled person

U can claim for closed accounts ... My cards were cleared years ago but got two refunds recently

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

hi guys,

any suggestions on how to go about this with mbna?

they seem to be dealing with it differently

I requested they review whether I was mis-sold PPI, I wasn't happy with their reasons why I wasn't, so I passed it onto the financial ombudsman. This process takes quite a while though. However I did get a letter on Friday from the ombudsman, saying that they are now in the investigation stage and have written to MBNA/Avant Card and enclosed a copy of that letter for me. They are requesting a lot of info from Avant Card, so just have to wait and see what they come back with! It will be interesting to say the least!

• Advertisement
Advertisement