Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Court fines for cycling traffic offenses

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I would like to see cyclists fined for wearing ear / head phones. Height of stupidity.

I'd like to fine motorists for listening to the radio and having their windows closed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭morton

From a thread in june 2010

1 Year Driving ban for cyclist who broke red light
    http://www.independent.ie/national-n...t-2228117.html

Quote:
    "I don't have a car and I do not drive but due to the court ruling even if I wanted to I couldn't" says John.

Quote:
    But Robert Pierse, the author of Road Traffic Law in Ireland, which is now in its fourth edition and a required source for lawyers involved in road traffic cases, said the judge was perfectly entitled to impose a driving ban for a cycling offence.

Mr Pierse added: "It is highly unusual but legal. Road traffic law in Ireland is very complex, with 12 or 13 acts and more than 400 regulations. The whole area is badly in need of consolidation and I understand that a bill is due to come before the Dail to do just that -- when they get around to it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,013 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

check_six wrote: »
    €300 seems high, like the kind of fine you'd get if you just didn't show up to the court.

As it was left to the judge's discretion it seems unusual that they chose to double the equivalent motor vehicle driving fine.

The fine for motorists can be upto €800 and 4 points. So the cyclist got away without any points and €500 discount.
    check_six wrote: »
    I think that on the spot fines are the way forward to make it a bit clearer to all. It would also save court resources.

+1, just ad bicycle, and pedestrian, to the the penalty point laws/statute. That way everyone can break the same law and not worry about others having to break different ones.

Advertisement