Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to get around ARC-dependent speakers with HDMI 1.3 display...?

• 10-04-2013 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

So, I want to get the Sharp HT-SL50 soundbar since the dimensions are *perfect* for my requirements. However, it requires an ARC compatible display (i.e. HDMI 1.4 compliant display). My Optoma HD65 is only HDMI 1.3 and is not ARC compliant, as a result.

Does anyone know of any device that I could insert into the mix to resolve this issue? Or alternative, can anyone think of a different solution?

If the soundbar had Optical / SPDIF in, then I could just route the video and audio separately, but the soundbar only has HDMI passthrough and then uses ARC to get audio *back* from the display...

Alternatively, if anyone knows of any soundbars that are similarly tiny as the Sharp HT-SL50, that would also do the trick :)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

ARC & HDMI 1.4 are not exclusively dependant on each other. If your TV doesn't support ARC then no cable can fix it - whether it be HDMI 1.3 or 1.4. That said that sound bar won't add much more than a subwoofer to your system. There are plenty of subs on the market with SPDIF inputs that will surpass this setup.

Ken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Thanks for the reply. To be honest, I'd be happy with any number of other soundbars available. I painstakingly sourced a Vizio VSB200 in the US, bought it and went to the post office and mailed it back to myself while on holiday :)

That's what id put up in an ideal world. However, it's the DIMENSIONS of the soundbar that are the issue. It kind of needs to a max of about 40-50mm in height to fit where I need it, hence the attraction to the Sharp.

Any recommendations for other low profile soundbars?

Advertisement