Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bioinformatic Nucleotide Question

• 10-04-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23

Question for those who are more familiar with bioinformatics than me: So I put a nucleotide sequence into BLAST to search for what it is. My search said 100% identity to "Yersinia pestis A1122 complete genome". But my sequence is only about 1200 nucleotides long and after some research, from what I can find, the complete genome of Yersinia pestis is much longer that this!! Could anyone explain this to me? Am I doing something wrong? Just need to find out what exactly my specific sequence represents/encodes for! Don't understand how it could be the complete genome! Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

It means within the complete genome there is a 1200 base sequence which your search sequence matches to. Not that the genome is 100% identical to your search sequence.

If you're using the NCBI BLAST tool at http://blast.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Blast.cgi it should show you the alignment, and give you the position within the genome of the alignment further down the results page.

However if your task is to identify the sequences function, you would probably be better served looking at the other results you got, or trying a blastx.

Advertisement